Freiburg, Germany
thebitman wrote:
thebitman wrote:

Personally, I'd like to see a 1-bit tracker for Gameboy. Not enough 1-bit love in this world.

Posted this almost 3 weeks ago on page 1. Not trying to come off as a douche or anything, but people have experienced interest in the suggestion already. I think the discussion in the other thread should be more about bleepy music and how to achieve it with current software instead of discussing the contents of this one. Still, I would like to try 1-bit bleepy stuff on the DMG. Maybe we'll see it eventually...

You can do that right now with existing programs by using only one pulse channel, no panning and no volume decreasing envelope, or am I missing something?

Well, that would be pretty boring and monophonic at best, most of the 1 bit trackers are more complex, using drums, and more instruments and then using software tricks to blend everything and represent it in a 1 bit output. Ends up sounding pretty cool. Maybe some 1 bit piezoelectric buzzer mods are in order, and THAT would be cool.

Last edited by Zef (Dec 31, 2012 4:35 pm)

Unsubscribe

what if you could get a 1bit sound engine out of each papu channel. 9 voice polyphony?

Freiburg, Germany

I haven't tried these trackers, is anything they're doing more complex than a bit crusher? Otherwise even if nobody makes a Game Boy ROM for this you could use a tracker that has DSP chains like Renoise and just add a bit crusher to the master to at least emulate it on a computer.

Abandoned on Fire
Zef wrote:

Well, that would be pretty boring and monophonic at best, most of the 1 bit trackers are more complex, using drums, and more instruments and then using software tricks to blend everything and represent it in a 1 bit output. Ends up sounding pretty cool. Maybe some 1 bit piezoelectric buzzer mods are in order, and THAT would be cool.

Yes, exactly!  big_smile

herr_prof wrote:

what if you could get a 1bit sound engine out of each papu channel. 9 voice polyphony?

Also that.  big_smile

NC in the US of America

Does Gameboy Advance count as Gameboy?

It'd pretty awesome to see a Gameboy Advance tracker that can take advantage of the Advances sound system as well as the DMG sound system that's built in to create some more texturing. I was recently listening to the Megaman Battle Network soundtracks with an analytical ear and noticing for the first time the layering of the 2 Pulse Channels and Wave Channel and Noise channel over the samples of flutes, orchestra hits, drums, and other things to create really sweet tunes and textures. It was kind of like a Gameboy with perhaps two extra PCM channels.

Or does something like this already exist?

Puerto Rico

Etch-A-Sketch app that uses all 4 colors.

Any and all realtime-playable non-tracker/drum, non-drone roms with as much potential for chaos, harshness, non-musicality,cutup fast changes, glitch,  and general NOISE as possible please smile

Last edited by Cementimental (Jan 7, 2013 2:35 am)

Granada, Spain
SketchMan3 wrote:

Does Gameboy Advance count as Gameboy?

It'd pretty awesome to see a Gameboy Advance tracker that can take advantage of the Advances sound system as well as the DMG sound system that's built in to create some more texturing. I was recently listening to the Megaman Battle Network soundtracks with an analytical ear and noticing for the first time the layering of the 2 Pulse Channels and Wave Channel and Noise channel over the samples of flutes, orchestra hits, drums, and other things to create really sweet tunes and textures. It was kind of like a Gameboy with perhaps two extra PCM channels.

Or does something like this already exist?

This. I really like GBA sounds.

Anything involving the weird extra/audio input channel.

My idea for that would be modified cart with a line in, with a rom doing some probably super crude realtime effects on it, I've zero idea if that's remotely possible tho.

Or a sampler haha

Last edited by Cementimental (Jan 7, 2013 2:39 am)

hardcore, Australia

Air horn emulator.

Maine
godinpants wrote:

Air horn emulator.

i think we have a winner

Riverside, CA

I've tried but haven't made much progress into it, but you should make an engine to make visual novels for the Game Boy.

Xuriik wrote:

Etch-A-Sketch app that uses all 4 colors.

This. A thousand times. Mod the cart with a Kirby's tilt'n'tumble so you can shake to erase.

Sweeeeeeden
The Silph Scope wrote:

I've tried but haven't made much progress into it, but you should make an engine to make visual novels for the Game Boy.

You mean to design them on the console, or just a viewer?

Riverside, CA
nitro2k01 wrote:
The Silph Scope wrote:

You mean to design them on the console, or just a viewer?

Something like renpy I guess.
To where I can have the music, sprite, background, and script data already and be able to make a game with it all based around the engine.