New Albany Indiana
e.s.c. wrote:

esp. since that aspect is also covered by another posted rule

07. Chipmusic.org's policy is to preserve the availability of all content posted, with exceptions made at the discretion of the site's administrator & moderation team (such as instances of spam, harassment, offensive material, etc.)

ok got it

Sydney, AU
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

Ill just keep it out of this forum, because I respect rules, but I have the right to dont like it.

Your right to don't like it is a basic, inalienable human right.

SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

When you have to censor something is because some douchebag used it in a bad way.

Its sad.

I don't see what's so sad about being considerate for other people's feelings.

"Oh no! I can't communicate with everyone the same way I do with my close friends!" (well, duh?)

Sydney, AU

For instance, a friend called me the day before yesterday and greeted me with "Hey fuckface."

I laughed, but should he be sad that he can't do the same thing to a random person on the street?

(Well, I guess he can, but the consequences might be undesirable.)

Madriz, Supain

I get your point guys, but I still prefer a world in wich I can be considered rude for using words than a safe one in wich I dont do it because I simply cant. And to be more accurate : I prefer a world in wich i can SEE a douche miles away because how he speaks, in certain contexts, than just banning him the right to be one (im sorry if i dont make much sense with my english)

But still, dont get me wrong. If thats the forum rules and someone may get offended, its ok to me. I just tried to express my dislike, not sulk everybody with 50's homophobic jokes

my mom's basement
nf wrote:

For instance, a friend called me the day before yesterday and greeted me with "Hey fuckface."

I laughed, but should he be sad that he can't do the same thing to a random person on the street?

(Well, I guess he can, but the consequences might be undesirable.)

I just had a bad experience with that. My idiot of a friend has lived his life so far with no needs or confrontations. He was used to getting his way. We had to do a particularly pain in the ass job recording an orchestra, and we drew straws to see who would face the director, who is a positively vicious woman. He got picked, refused to go, and when one of my other friends told him to go do it, it was a fair pick, he said go fuck yourself. He was in the hospital with a concussion and a broken arm.

Granted that can't happen over the internet, but if you wouldn't say that to someones face, then don't say it here. Unless you would be saying that to their face, I guess.

Last edited by Catf1sh (Dec 13, 2012 11:56 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

There is an entire language full of rich and colorful words we can use to express ourselves. A very very small number of those words have been and continue to be used to hurt or insult groups of people who were usually a disadvantaged minority. Continuing to use those words without consideration to the pain it might cause shows rather a shocking lack of good judgement.

Some users havent been able to figure out where the line between acceptable and unacceptable is. In those cases the mods will step in.

Gorinchem, The Netherlands
herr_prof wrote:

Yea but the thing is, we aren't nitpicking random words that rarely come up in everyday language. I think its pretty obvious what kinda speech and context this rule is pertaining to, and I feel like that if you are already arguing against it, you aren't in the habit of considering the feelings of others or just trying to be a contrarian to begin with.

I guess my lack of understanding is with anyone who is surprised using the word gay in the pejorative sense is offensive to people. It may be hard to admit you've been doing something wrong for years but is it that hard to stop using now that you know how people see you when you use it?

I'm not saying auto ban people or word filter or anything heavy handed like that, but I feel exerting social pressure to get people to correct their speech and make a statement that this site has zero tolerance for a cavalier use of such language is totally acceptable.

I couldn't agree more with the need to instate a rule of this kind, but I also believe we needn't be too harsh on those going "Huh? Is there something wrong with saying that stuff?" (Assuming they still accept the rule.) Not using those words should indeed not be much of a hassle, but you'd be surprised how little we often consider the hidden assumptions in the vocabulary we employ - language can often become bit of an automatic thing.

Despite what many may believe, we often find that language controls the way we think; not the other way around. I'd like to share a recording from Heron Stone's podcast related to the subject: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/599805/sound/Ge … nguage.mp3 (Five Stupidities of the English Language - 90 mins) if you're in the mood for it.

Keeping derogatory slurs pertaining to race or sexual orientation in our language reinforces a reality tunnel where we associate certain races and orientations with negative thought. All too often, though, people can be blissfully unaware of this reflective effect of language.

Before I talk *too* much... good call on the rule. Amen.

Unsubscribe

And at the end of the day, such a rule will surely be applied cautiously and in the face of an egregious offense. Cm has pretty good mods, if I must say so.

IL, US

well, thanks peter...and the rest of you should thank every other mod for not letting me just set people on fire when they are being kind of dick-ish smile
overall though, the relatively mature response to the new rule makes me a little less angry at all of you as a whole... i almost like being in this scene again... shit keeps up, ill stop hiding the game boy tattoo

uhajdafdfdfa

it's not censorship, you are still free to create a new forum where it is actually against the rules to do things that might make homosexuals, non-white people and women feel comfortable and/or welcome

sorry, i should shut up now, i think (almost) everyone gets the idea

rochester, ny

i completely support this rule and applaud the mods for taking a strong stance on it!

Sydney, NSW

If you wouldn't call someone on the street something because you know it's offensive to the general public, then don't say it here.

If you've got the common decency to not use words like homo, nigger and chink in derogatory contexts, then don't go around saying them.

It makes people look bad and stuff.

shanghai

i think we all get it. this thread is getting a bit pedantic now

Playboy Man-Baby

.....end thread?

On this note?

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Dec 14, 2012 4:19 am)

Florida

^^^ That. It's sad that this is even a big deal. Sheesh.

Los Angeles, CA

I say gay when I think something is stupid. I'm also bisexual. Where the hell does a guy who likes dick yet uses gay as a pejorative stand?!?!?!

But yeah, I try not to say things that will offend people. I keep that kind of talk for the friends I know have thicker skin.

But for the record, consider this - no one ever seems to give a fuck if and when anyone says negative things about fat people. I'll be the first to admit that I'm sensitive to that shit and it actually makes me uncomfortable when I read it. I feel like it isn't usually covered in these sort of things because it's a choice or whatever, but still, you can't pick and choose what hurts people.