))<>((

as the title says, is there any way I can flash my cart in Linux, or am I completely SOL?

can't install Windows until I get my new HDD. D:

Last edited by tacticalbread (Mar 13, 2010 7:40 am)

Minneapolis

Well, there are possible two, maybe three options:

1. Use Wine. But because of driver issues, it might not work out right. I haven't managed to get it working.
2. Use Cedega. Costs money. Probably won't work any better than Wine because of driver issues.
3. Use a virtual machine, running Windows. This option seems most likely to work.

Ok, maybe 4. Contact HKEMS and make them write Linux driver. Highly unlikely to ever work, since they don't even seem to understand English properly.

One last thing: Don't get upset that the EMS cart doesn't work on Linux- none of the other ones work properly with Linux either. smile

Last edited by arfink (Mar 13, 2010 8:53 pm)

))<>((

I've tried Wine, the GUI is very wonky, and doesn't even really show anything.

Haven't tried Cedega or Crossover, but like you said, it probably won't work any better. They're both based off Wine anyway.

Didn't even think to do a VM. You sir, win.

big_smile

Ciudad de méxico, MX
arfink wrote:

One last thing: Don't get upset that the EMS cart doesn't work on Linux- none of the other ones work properly with Linux either. smile

the bleepbloops work on linux, like a charm. Just to let you know guys wink

I use virtualbox (last time i checked the USB works ok, but not perfect, mostly speeds problems).

What the hardware do when communicates the device with the pc? if there's a virtual com port thing there's a possibility to make it work, just run

dmesg | tail

plug the cart, then run it again and see what it tells you.

good luck!

Minneapolis

Well, we all know how legit those BB carts are. wink
One thing to note- the software for the BB carts can be kinda hit and miss.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

Actually, a wild guess but i think that the reiner ziegler software work with the BB carts. Is the very same software/hardware tongue. the same with the smartboy cart, but if someone tests it feel free to correct me.

Silicon Valley

Hey guys, sorry to perform thread necromancy. Just wanted to let you know that I wrote a very rudimentary EMS USB flasher for Linux.

It's waaaay alpha at the moment, but it'll do the trick if you just need to flash a ROM to the first bank. Currently under active development, so feel free to submit bug reports, suggestions, etc smile

Riverside, CA
mikeryan wrote:

Hey guys, sorry to perform thread necromancy. Just wanted to let you know that I wrote a very rudimentary EMS USB flasher for Linux.

It's waaaay alpha at the moment, but it'll do the trick if you just need to flash a ROM to the first bank. Currently under active development, so feel free to submit bug reports, suggestions, etc smile

ALL OF MY LOVE.
ALL OF IT.
heart heart heart heart heart heart

o.O Mikeryan! Thank you! you just made my week! must've taken a lot of work to get something like this working yourself. congrats, and thanks!

mikeryan wrote:

This is pretty awesome, especially considering it's only done in 152 lines of C. I have a few simple suggestions though (this makes me feel arrogant, it's your software and you can do what you want with it):
1. Take out the gotos
2. Fclose when you're finished with I/O (this is probably not necessary, but just in case)
3. Replace the x ? foo : bar stuff with if statements, even though it's a pain in the ass it makes the code more readable
4. More functions, shorter main, and maybe breaking those functions off into their own seperate header/implementation files
5. A command-line argument parser would be cool, so that way by checking the last four characters in the filename you could easily pass off program execution to either a ROM I/O function or a RAM I/O function
6. I'm not sure if there's any sort of mechanism to actually make individual object files is in your makefile (I could be totally up my own ass here), but I would throw this in there somewhere for good measure (it's great if you're lazy):

%.o: %.c include.h
    $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $@ $<

7. More comments!
8. Obvious filesize checks and boundaries that will obviously be implemented eventually

I would be more than willing to make some of these changes if you're okay with it (although i'm not at all familiar with git, nor am i familiar with the specifics of the actual cart). I'm just a freak about clean code. cool

Last edited by PlainFlavored (Mar 21, 2011 10:13 am)

Oh god, where was this yesterday when I spent 2 hours to get the drivers to work in virtualbox on my netbook ;_;
(also I totally registered just to say this)

i have still not managed to get the original drivers working on my computer. i cant get a guest OS to recognise a hardware device when the hostOS does not have a working driver for it. for some reason it wont work unless the host os has a working driver. how did you do it teomat?

if he doesnt reply, cause he just registered to say what he did.... is there anyone else who knows how?

please help ^^

Last edited by ev0l (Mar 21, 2011 2:42 pm)

First I installed the guest additions, then the virtual box extension pack and I had to add myself to the "vboxusers" group.
Logged off and back on, enabled usb 2.0 in the virtualbox settings and told it to use the "unknown device".
And then I could finally install the drivers.

I don't think I did anything else, though it took a while to figure out what I had to do.

sweden
arfink wrote:

Ok, maybe 4. Contact HKEMS and make them write Linux driver. Highly unlikely to ever work, since they don't even seem to understand English properly.

You do know that not everyone on this planet has english as their first language. Write to them in chinese instead tongue

Ciudad de méxico, MX

Linux! heart

if you need the little program to translate to spanish i'll do it smile

Silicon Valley
PlainFlavored wrote:

lots of really good suggestions

Yeahhhh I'm normally a freak about clean code but I just wanted to get this out there since there seems to be so much demand.

In the coming weeks I expect to factor it into a proper API with a clean command line version (with arg parser, of course) and perhaps even a Qt GUI. Any Qt guys out there are more than welcome to volunteer smile

Analog wrote:

if you need the little program to translate to spanish i'll do it smile

When it gets time to create some po files I'll let you know!

Thanks for all the love guys heart