PA

Hey guys,

I'm currently faced with quite the dilemma.

As the holidays approach, I was hoping to make my girlfriend her own gameboy, as well as a LSDJ cart.  The gameboy was cake (i'll post pics after i finish painting it) but i'm a bit uneasy about soldering this card.

I found an old copy of Medarot 2 (GBC),
http://imgi.imgur.com/cXMA4.jpg
so if i killed it in the process, it's not to big a deal, but i'm deathly afraid of screwing up my EPROM.

I'm hoping to use a AMD29F032B-90EF, along side Mr.Ziegler's Amazing set of instructions (Which can be found here) But after reciving the chips, i'm starting to get cold feet...

I mean just look at those pins!

Any tips of advice? maybe some kind of TSOP to dip connector?

TLDR: I'm a weenie, and am afraid to solder small pins- advice?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben

nitro2k01 edit: fixed BBCode.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Dec 17, 2012 5:57 pm)

PA

(ouch none of my BBCode worked hmm)
EDIT: Changed to just links, sorry!

Last edited by Ecco3697 (Dec 16, 2012 7:03 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's actually dead easy as long as you've got the right tools. Look up drag soldering.  You'll need a fine, flat solder tip and solder paste but it's really quite simple.

If you look on youtube you can see the technique demonstrated.

Sweeeeeeden
jefftheworld wrote:

It's actually dead easy as long as you've got the right tools. Look up drag soldering.  You'll need a fine, flat solder tip and solder paste but it's really quite simple.

If you look on youtube you can see the technique demonstrated.

That only works when you're soldering the chip to the PCB. When building this type of cartridge, the chip has a different pinout, and sometimes a different package, so what you typically need to do is to connect the chip with wires. See the pdf! This is doable, but requires a firm hand, a good iron, and preferably a microscope.