Hudson, MA

Hey guys, glad to see this topic has a lot of feedback about the idea of streaming in general!

Quick disclosure:

1)  Wall of text ahead.  Sorry.  A lot got covered and I want to respond accordingly.
2)  I help organize and run clipstream, so that means I technically have a personal bias.  No shame in admitting that.  Allow me to explain how I see things...

We started off as a simple webshow party.  There were plenty of fuckups, streaming issues, hardware failures, one dude literally had about 3fps video going on.  We laughed at it and said we should do this monthly.  What it turned into was a type of web show that some people in the online scene had been asking (and dare I say) demanding for a while.

I think web shows are great because it grabs a wider-spread audience (as in anyone who can visit our ustream channel,) it makes it easier for people to have guests from further away (seriously, I did a double-take when I realized we "booked" artists from almost every continent,) and it reaches an audience that the live, physical shows can't easily obtain--  the too far away, the lazy, the cheap and the super-shy types.  Granted, that's definitely not our entire demographic and I don't have any problems with them liking our shows, but you don't see a lot of them heading out to concert venues to rock out with people more involved in the live show scenes and it's good to always have their support.

There is the issue of no financial revenue being generated.  By all means, if you're not willing to do a free show, that's your call and I'm never gonna judge anybody for that.  We're not here for the money, we're here to get new, veteran and up-and-coming artists to play their stuff and promote anything they've been working on.  We just want to further encourage people by having another venue open for them.  We're here to help encourage people to download and buy the music they've been rocking out to.

I honestly think web shows and live shows can easily co-exist since they serve similar purposes.  You can argue semantics but they are similar beasts with a different method of going about the same purpose.  There's some things I feel that can never be replaced from some of the live shows I've been to, but I also know that since starting up clipstream, I've been opened up to a massive amount of new, amazing content from people a lot of us didn't recognize before-hand.

As for the show content themselves, we are technically at the mercy of whomever is playing on our stream.  It does get boring just watching someone sit there in their bedroom, but I believe that's where a group chat is integral to the web show formula.  It's internet-social, if you will, since you're there to chat with people and share your dis/approval for a song or artist.  That being said, yeah, just someone's hands or their bedroom can get a bit stale, but sometimes that's also the easiest or most convenient place for people (i.e. the highschoolers that have played web shows) to play their music.  I'm guilty of it, sure, so are a lot of people.  I tried using XSplit to have multiple shots including a screen showing what's going on in my instance of Famitracker, a webcam of me being stupid, silly pictures of cats in space, and so forth. People have told me they found it was more entertaining...  the downside is that my desktop needs an upgrade and ran a bit choppy.  Also Xspit's audio quality is questionable without a monthly subscription.  You could say web shows are a bit experimental in the technical aspects.

Length has definitely been a question for all of us that are a part of clipstream.  On one hand, 10-12 hours is a damn lot of music.  On the other hand, it also guarantees we'll get people who only have a limited window of time available (which is surprisingly more people than I would've ever expected.)  Our show lengths have usually been caused by the demand of people wanting to play on our shows.

As spry said, we've noticed a handful of the issues you guys have brought up (regarding both our show and other shows) and we're working on making them and other issues happen as little as possible.  Any suggestions and feedback would be ABSOLUTELY welcomed.  We want to be something that everyone can appreciate.  Clip III had the most problems by far (which admittedly were partially just dumb mistakes,) but we'd rather have the least amount of issues possible.  Ask anyone that's played our first two shows;  we've always tried to make sure to work with whatever people have asked of us and made sure everyone was on the same page (to be fair, I'm pretty sure I personally annoyed the shit out of one someone with how thorough we were, and if they're reading, sorry about that.)

All in all, thank you to everyone here who's been a part or watched our little webshow that could.  It means a lot to us and we hope we can make the show even better than it's already been.

BOSTON

lol jake, my post here had little to do with our late night twitter-hating XD a number of people have "expressed" similar feelings, and I just think its a weird thing to get on the podium and rant about. because honestly.... who cares? streaming is fun. if you don't like it, well then don't watch it. but there isn't any need to shit on the people that do enjoy it.

you were lucky enough to just happen to have the largest thriving IRL chiptune community in the world right down the street. not everybody is so lucky.

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Dec 18, 2012 4:20 am)

New York

^ what glenn said

Last edited by Parallelis (Dec 18, 2012 4:20 am)

Massachusetts

This is why we can't have nice things.

Brunswick, GA USA

I don't see any turds on any heads.

Melbourne, Australia

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet that I found to be the best aspect of streaming shows is that it's a very nice way to talent scout for new acts as a promoter. I have a hard time keeping up with all the new artists on the scene and even known artists new material. It's nice to be able to see someone perform in a low stress setting to get a feel for their stage presence etc.

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

...have the largest thriving IRL chiptune community in the world right down the street.

I know one or two people who would disagree with this statement tongue

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

i actually gained a following from all my webshows. now i'm known as the guy who had "solarbear can suck it" on his keytar.

› 

Tokyo, Japan
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

lol jake, my post here had little to do with our late night twitter-hating XD a number of people have "expressed" similar feelings, and I just think its a weird thing to get on the podium and rant about. because honestly.... who cares? streaming is fun. if you don't like it, well then don't watch it. but there isn't any need to shit on the people that do enjoy it.

you were lucky enough to just happen to have the largest thriving IRL chiptune community in the world right down the street. not everybody is so lucky.

Nice to see a positive response on here.

Jake -- is it cos no-one invited you to do a show yet? tongue kidding man. I think they are awkard and full of technical problems and random ass chiptuners too. Still, nice to see some new faces n all that. AND I get to do it from the comfort of my Sunday morning bed wink win!

the point of this thread (or at least I thought) was to discuss how they could be improved. Not say whether you like them or not....

Nice to see celsius has some ideas that he's looking to implement. He's definitely in a position to implement them all though (the almighty cTrix living in close proximity!). It would be nice to see how this new way of showing chiptunes to the world matures IMO.

San Diego, CA

A big part of why I don't really care for these streams are the fact that a LOT of the activity on the Facebook events/Youtube videos seem to be the people that are playing, about to play, or have played the event already. My girlfriend was actually commenting on the phenomenon and she said something really insightful -- there doesn't seem to be any room for people to simply be fans of the music, especially when it comes to these streaming shows. And that kind of thing matters when you're trying to present this stuff to people outside the "scene"; if all anyone sees are jpegs of the performers that have been MSpainted on, these livestreams start to become insular to the point where it's alienating to other people. Instead of discovering new music and feeling like I'm participating in a community, it ends up feeling like I stumbled in on a big inside joke hmm

As far as the streams themselves go, I've found that they're most successful when they act as portals to events, rather than become the events themselves. The stream has always been a convenience for those who wanted to see/hear an event but didn't have the means to attend. The only way I can see a stream becoming an event is if there's some element of an interactive nature, because if I wanted to listen to x artist's music while I browsed the web then I'd just pull up iTunes.

If you want to make these things better, you have to study the recent successes of the actual streaming format, not try to emulate things that already exist in a better form (i.e. concerts). So two examples that I'd take a REALLY close look at are the e-sports/fighting game streaming scenes (example: http://crosscounter.tv/ or anything day9 related) and turntable.fm.

The first example demonstrates how well you can use streams as portals to bigger events; the most popular streams are always tournament matches between really good fighting game players. The second example shows how adding an interactive element to what is essentially a chatroom with a DJ can make things really interesting and fun for everyone. In our case it could be implemented with livestreams of real shows and/or making it less of a "festival" and more of a hangout session or workshop.

My ideal case is some crazy networked game that can only be played when someone's performing; the performer acts as an agent in the game with some crazy abilities (boss character) and the stream participants have to work together to beat the performer! That would be AMAZING and if anyone has the technical chops to implement this kind of thing let me get in on it as a designer big_smile

EDIT:

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

and I just think its a weird thing to get on the podium and rant about. because honestly.... who cares? streaming is fun. if you don't like it, well then don't watch it. but there isn't any need to shit on the people that do enjoy it.

It's not really that people are shitting on those that enjoy it; it's more of a request that we do better. A critique of something demonstrates way more respect for that thing than coddling its deficiencies.

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Dec 18, 2012 5:19 am)

Hudson, MA
spacetownsavior wrote:

A big part of why I don't really care for these streams are the fact that a LOT of the activity on the Facebook events/Youtube videos seem to be the people that are playing, about to play, or have played the event already. My girlfriend was actually commenting on the phenomenon and she said something really insightful -- there doesn't seem to be any room for people to simply be fans of the music, especially when it comes to these streaming shows. And that kind of thing matters when you're trying to present this stuff to people outside the "scene"; if all anyone sees are jpegs of the performers that have been MSpainted on, these livestreams start to become insular to the point where it's alienating to other people. Instead of discovering new music and feeling like I'm participating in a community, it ends up feeling like I stumbled in on a big inside joke hmm

You bring up some pretty interesting points and another valid outlook into possible media we could have went for.  I personally feel having someone there visually to signify they're playing feels more personal than one without, but I never discounted the idea when I saw people trying it out.

The MSPaint thing we did was a continuation of an inside joke, yes, but at the time we also thought there was a chance it would catch on and be more than one person doing silly things.  I'll tell said person from now on to keep it to inside the group the show started from.  If you refer to more inside jokes, i.e. the whole Cliptune/Quietcore/Freezestep terminology, we have posted it in places before... but perhaps they just weren't clear enough.

Is there any other way you could further explain how there isn't any room for people to just be fans of the music?  I'm not expecting perfect solutions, but perhaps if you could mention other things that also have irked you or your girlfriend or friends, we could figure out what would work better.  We want to be as welcoming as possible while still maintaining a personality for the show that wouldn't just feel generic... if that makes sense at all.

EDIT:  Also, that game idea actually sounds pretty neat!  I'm not sure how it would implement, but if it ends up ever happening I'd give it a shot.

Last edited by Glenntai (Dec 18, 2012 6:02 am)

BOSTON
celsius wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

...have the largest thriving IRL chiptune community in the world right down the street.

I know one or two people who would disagree with this statement tongue

WELL SOME DAY ILL JUST HAVE TO SEE FOR MYSELF heart

Gosford, Australia

crazy networked game that can only be played during the concert = 7-bit hero's blip australia set

it was AWESOME but they would have put mountains of effort into getting the game and music to compliment each other as perfectly as they did.

hardcore, Australia

Unless you have ctrix sitting around ready to mash on some video mixers and tape cables everywhere, your stream probably isn't worth it.

England

People seem to feel very strongly about streamed live shows.

I would maybe listen to a show if it wasnt on in the middle of the night.

Goto80's recent stream was a great example of something being interesting to listen to and being on at a good time for Europeans. He has pretty hands as well.

Last edited by Jellica (Dec 18, 2012 8:18 am)

vancouver, canada

cripes, a ton of thoughtful answers all up in here.  definitely appreciate everyone's candidness and i'm glad that many of the criticisms are being taken really well - shocking! 

yeah, by no means was my intent to tear down any particular web show, but instead to be honest about aspects that inherently don't work, in the interest of refining something that has potential.  (btw Glenntai, i totally appreciated the relative responsiveness and attentiveness of the Clipstream staff, the support alone really does bolster one's confidence about doing a stream.)

If i had to tl;dr all the discussion so far into a few key points of near consensus -- here goes:

- streams are not a replacement for live shows, nor do they need to be.  when presenting a streamed show in the same way, something just doesn't translate well, and it has something to do with either the separation of the artist from the audience, or some visual factor.  streams have the potential to be something else altogether though - something that makes sense given the medium, and something that plays to the medium's strengths.

- there's some untapped potential of video streams as a means for connecting the chip community in interesting ways, like realtime chat, Q&A, interactive games/visuals/whatever.  there's also a sense of immediacy and intimacy that's of value.

- setting up streams can cost some significant effort, many times for little or no (financial) return.  to actually achieve a setup resembling some kind of TV studio would be cost-prohibitive for most people, so to emulate TV broadcasts (at least in terms of production value) is probably not the best way to go.  btw, many "professional" e-sports broadcasts actually dump a whole lot of their sponsor-fueled budget into the logistical and technical aspects of the streaming production itself, so that already gives you an idea as to its feasibility in a community that isn't known for their extravagant spending.

- there's a hosting/editorial component that definitely could be expanded upon, instead of just having a loose string of artist after artist with little cohesion otherwise.

Overall i'm pretty excited by the possibilities and ideas that everyone's brought up!  the idea and the desire is cool, but there's no reason to just touch down at the familiar tropes like "lineup of artists".

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

I'm not opposed to the idea, I just feel the existence of the vast majority don't make a whole lot of sense. The whole point of 'seeing' someone live is the atmosphere it creates and the ability to directly interact with the music. At a webshow, someone with a line-in playing songs off a gameboy and fiddling with a keyboard seems no different than just listening to the recorded version, except the audio quality is worse.
Also tl;dr most of this thread; guys need to learn to stop with the tautology.