Brazil

For people like me who are in a different country is totally cool! We at chippanze are thinking of doing some live streaming bimonthly. It'a an opportunity to everyone: we have a chance to show off our skills to the community, you guys have the chance to hear more from us and to know our little scene here.

I have a lot of songs that I play live that I don't have recorded. Even if it's a bedroom gig, is also a chance to hang out with the "chiptunerz" and drink some booze without worring about much.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

People are talking about webstreams trying too hard to be festivals and take the place of live shows but there's also people saying they're too weak with bedroom shows and lack of visuals. . . hmm

Also, as I've said, I have seen the majority of artists add new stuff to already existing or exclusive unreleased tracks. Artists have added guitar, drums, keyboards, effects, drum machines, live sequencing, etc.

Roboctopus DJ mixed and added live effects, Cooshinator or Dsv101 once wrote a song live, I've played my album with additional equipment not heard in the original, Frostbyte remixed his own songs live and even did 1xlsdj versions, the list goes on and on with stuff you'll never find on their bandcamp pages. I mean, I'd pay to watch Cheapshot do more dancing while avoiding waking up his baby or praying to the chipgods that his battery doesn't die. big_smile

Edit: and I know, visually, I have lots of hang ups with technical issues, but people say they don't even mind because of the audio. wink

Last edited by Auxcide (Dec 18, 2012 1:26 pm)

Utah

I've never done a webshow and I'm a bit hesitant to attempt one. My biggest hang-up is with the energy. I love performing live because of the audience right there in front of you. You feed off of them and they feed off of you. I don't think I'd get that in a webstream. And as someone who sings, you need to have high energy.

With that being said, I've still been curious to attempt a webshow. Like many others have said, it is all about making the event unique. Visuals, new songs, old songs with new gimmicks, interaction. It should be fun for the performer and the audience.

Last edited by The Laohu (Dec 18, 2012 1:58 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA
Glenntai wrote:

Is there any other way you could further explain how there isn't any room for people to just be fans of the music?  I'm not expecting perfect solutions, but perhaps if you could mention other things that also have irked you or your girlfriend or friends, we could figure out what would work better.

I wasn't asked, but I think this is worthy of its own topic if enough people have something useful to say. I also believe that there are too many musicians and not enough spectators in chipmusic, because with some of my other stuff (Vocaloid fanhood) I experience the opposite, where everyone buys figurines and CDs but few have worked with the software. (I understand that this impression may change if I learn more 日本語.) I don't have any solutions or corrections to suggest, though, I think it is just what happens when you have low barriers to entry.

As for my wife, I'm pretty sure she thinks it's all weird.

Unsubscribe

I was only talking about live streams of live events. The whole webcam show is kinda weird, but I never watched one so have no opinion about a persons performance on one.

Hudson, MA
Jellica wrote:

I would maybe listen to a show if it wasnt on in the middle of the night.

Could you define the middle of the night?  We've organized our shows to work best for everyone's time zones (because we wouldn't want say, Whitely, to go on at 4 AM just to work for our friends at -5 GMT.)  Our shows have started around 5 PM GMT for the last couple  of times.

bryface wrote:

- there's a hosting/editorial component that definitely could be expanded upon, instead of just having a loose string of artist after artist with little cohesion otherwise.

I absolutely agree with you here.  The only difficulty happens to be that the stream has a momentary pause between feeds, and there doesn't seem to be a lot we can do with that.  Ustream offers ideas of showing videos or pictures inbetween sets that we're looking to expand upon, but it's effectiveness is questionable.  There is a program that would allow you to simultaneously host multiple feeds through your own, but it's quite expensive for what we're doing here.  I was lucky enough to have Xsplit show my video and the video of Hoodie for an intermission at Clip II.  Even then my audio got borked.

The Laohu wrote:

My biggest hang-up is with the energy. I love performing live because of the audience right there in front of you. You feed off of them and they feed off of you. I don't think I'd get that in a webstream. And as someone who sings, you need to have high energy.

There's no question of any of that.  It's a very different situation than a stage, and that was actually a hang-up of a few artists.  Not to drop names, but Rainbowdragoneyes (as "Taste the Rainbow") and Trey Frey had some of the most entertaining sets so far.  Instead of just playing and singing into a webcam (which would've been awkward for him,) Taste the Rainbow was him playing drums over his RDE tracks.  Trey Frey threw a living room dance party with his wife, a handful of their friends and their cat(s), had colored lights and everything.  Nonfinite ended his set by dumping a metric shit-ton of various gameboys onto his equipment like a honey badger that stopped giving a fuck.  CCDM was just him with his TV, an Amiga and an incredibly balls-to-the-wall performance of him going nuts to his Amiga gabber set.  I still have people asking me about where he found that "WHO HAS THE FOOTBALL?" sound clip.  I then tell them to ask him, since I will never reveal the secrets of the Wu-Tang clan.  (Edit:  Yikes, forgot to summarize--  my main point was if you have no way of making your performance not awkward for a stream, you should give it a shot.  If there isn't, then maybe we can find a way eventually.)

Also of course, to bring it to the table, any of you with ideas on having visually awesome or just entertaining sets for a web show are more than welcomed to come on sometime to set an example for the newer and up-and-coming artists.

Edited for clarification, grammar, etc.

Last edited by Glenntai (Dec 18, 2012 5:29 pm)

NC in the US of America

It's always pretty fun when the home artist chats with us in the chatbox in between pressing start and select (I haven't yet seen any stream shows not based around Gameboys or NES sad )

Or at least reads the chat.

The appeal of a webshow for me is when I really want to physically attend a show, but I can't. Or, just to chat and hang out with the people who tune in. It's like skyping. Or posting in a message board. But with live entertainment that everybody is watching at the same time.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Dec 18, 2012 6:16 pm)

Unsubscribe

That might be cool, have a vh1storytellers kind thing where people describe the process of making a song and share tricks.

Madison, Alabama

I've just played a few and watched a few, but I think they're kind of fun.  A lot of times I don't really watch them.  I just let the music play while I do something else, or chat with other viewers.

I haven't figured out anything visually interesting to do during my webshows, so I just point the camera at the mixer so people can watch what I'm doing.  I *always* make sure I do something that people don't hear on my official releases, though.  I play some unreleased songs, alternate versions of songs, add effects, etc.

I think a real-time Q&A chat with artists could be cool.  Since some of us are just mixing/pressing Game Boy buttons, we could encourage audience members to ask questions during the show and answer them in real time.  Questions about programming or patches or mixing or gear or "what key is that in?" or whatever.  *shrug*

Hudson, MA
SketchMan3 wrote:

It's always pretty fun when the home artist chats with us in the chatbox in between pressing start and select (I haven't yet seen any stream shows not based around Gameboys or NES sad ).

CCDM and Decktonic were on our last show, and they used an Amiga and DS, respectively.  We're always looking for more than just NES/Gameboy, but it's harder to find anyone in those areas willing.

herr_prof wrote:

That might be cool, have a vh1storytellers kind thing where people describe the process of making a song and share tricks.

roboctopus wrote:

I think a real-time Q&A chat with artists could be cool.  Since some of us are just mixing/pressing Game Boy buttons, we could encourage audience members to ask questions during the show and answer them in real time.  Questions about programming or patches or mixing or gear or "what key is that in?" or whatever.  *shrug*

I'd be entirely cool with that idea.  It'd be part show part workshop/Q&A...  Anyone up for trying that out?

The workshop bit sounds like a bad idea, if they're just talking about hardware or tools only other chip musicians are going to be interested.  It'd be better to treat it like any other music show and just talk about the music, there's plenty of youtube videos about how to X, Y and Z for the other stuff.

NC in the US of America

CCDM and Decktonic were on our last show, and they used an Amiga and DS, respectively.  We're always looking for more than just NES/Gameboy, but it's harder to find anyone in those areas willing.

Oh yeah. I forgot about those. I have seen some non-80's-Nintendo performances.

And just so this post isn't completely pointless, I just wanted to say that I always type stuff like "Wooo!" in the chat box at times in which it'd be appropriate to say such at a live show. It's more fun to me that way. It probably gets annoying for the other people though.

As for things that would be interesting to see at any live event, streamed or not,  It'd be cool to see some kind of tracker shed-session type thing in which you'd have 2 or more artists synced to a machine with a click track (or bassline or drum beat), and they'd go around the room taking turns showing off their impromptu/deaf tracking/tabling/composing/EQing/etc. skills for 2-4 bars each. Since composing is a bit different than playing a live instrument. Kind of like a freestyle battle, they'd get a couple of bars to do the sequencing equivalent of "Oh! yeah, uh huh, Ungh, alright, alright, I got dis" that freestylers use while their thinking of what to say next, lol.

And then at the end everybody triggers their phrases at the same time for a fun chaotic mess.

Kind of irrelevant to the topic, I know, and it relies on having the artists in the same venue together, but still, it could be fun.

Brunswick, GA USA

Skype and G hangout chats are buffered, so participants can't jam out in a coherent way. NicoNicoDouga if really good for that style of comment interaction, though I first had the impression that out it was meant for timestamped critique as on SoundCloud it usually is used to stimulate applause.

Hudson, MA
4mat wrote:

The workshop bit sounds like a bad idea, if they're just talking about hardware or tools only other chip musicians are going to be interested.  It'd be better to treat it like any other music show and just talk about the music, there's plenty of youtube videos about how to X, Y and Z for the other stuff.

Also true and a fair point.  I'm just willing to try different things out and see what people enjoy.

SketchMan3 wrote:

And just so this post isn't completely pointless, I just wanted to say that I always type stuff like "Wooo!" in the chat box at times in which it'd be appropriate to say such at a live show. It's more fun to me that way. It probably gets annoying for the other people though.

I've wondered how people have felt about that, really.  I'm also guilty as charged, but at the same time, there's no real definition for how to react to the stream.  I normally follow it up with a compliment or thanking the artist for their set, but it's hard to really blame someone for their excitement.  Regardless, I do understand why that feels a bit out of place.

Also, the whole synchronization idea is cool--  SSD Engage (I think that'd what they're calling themselves?) actually consists of three artists doing something similar to that, if I recall correctly (spry feel free to correct me if I totally got that wrong just now.)  As long as they're all in one place, it works out either live or streamed.  It's a very cool result!

Brunswick, GA USA

May be relevant http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2012/12/house-concerts/

NicoNicoDouga lends itself well to viewer as audience and has emojis for applause (8) and laughter (w)

Most comments received there are more audience applause than criticism.

I thought it was strange to have it during the weekend. During Friday and Saturday people are usually out to see performances in the flesh. That's also my annoyance with good television shows, finally a hood movie on tv or decent radioshows.

Sunday and Thursday were cool, do it more often on those days, so that I don't feel bad staying home.  100% agree with Bryface's post.

I don't think the boring performance is an issue. It's a stream. For cool performances I leave the house. I think it's normal to see the bedroom/kitchen/whatever.