Freiburg, Germany

Hi guys,

I want to send MIDI directly from Mac OS X to Windows XP in the most direct way. Do you know of a way to do this easily?

I was thinking about something like a simple USB cable if there is a way to make the Mac appear like a USB MIDI device to Windows, or possibly a solution that uses Ethernet.

Anyone?

For those interested, I'm preparing to filter the sounds from my DMG through a HardSID PCI card that I may get soon, and since I'm controlling the DMG via MIDI from the Mac I would like to do the same with the HardSID filters so that it all stays in control from one central piece of software.

edit: clarified title

Last edited by lastfuture (Dec 21, 2012 11:48 am)

shanghai

i dont quite understand what you're asking. the way i do it when ive done live with 2 computers is soundcard from mac midi out -  to midi in of soundcard for pc. i dont know if there's a way to do it that doesnt require the soundcards with midi ins and outs. prob is somehow. i bet little scale knows haha

England

Why don't you use a MIDI cable? That's exactly what it's for!

Freiburg, Germany

I don't have the PC yet but I suspect it won't have a dedicated sound card and the Mac is a laptop for which reason it also has no MIDI connector.
That means I would have to buy hardware for both of them which I'm trying to avoid in order to save some money.

Tokyo, Japan

Forgive me for asking the obvious question but why not just control the DMG from the PC? It seems like a far less painful solution.

Freiburg, Germany

There are three reasons:
- The Monitor that I was able to get for free in order to operate the Windows machine is abysmal.
- My entire Toolchain for making music so far is set up and tried and tested on the Mac
- The sound card as I said will probably be an onboard one. Since I want to route the sound of the DMG back into my DAW for further processing and mixing this will probably not do.

Freiburg, Germany

I think I found a different solution to my problem. The software I want to use to send MIDI is Renoise... it appears that two instances of Renoise can be connected over the network via OSC, so if I use Renoise on both machines, turning on the OSC server on Windows and setting that instance up to pass on notes and control messages, it could work over the network.

shanghai

well you're correct about that. no laptops or pc's come with midi ins and outs of course as default. thats what usb soundcards were born for i guess. osc confuses me, but if you get it running that would be dope. i really need to work that osc shizzle out to control reaktor with an ipad

Freiburg, Germany

If the machine you're using for Reaktor is a Mac I can recommend the software osculator, which among other things is capable of translating incoming OSC to MIDI. I've used it a few times to send control messages from TouchOSC to programs that don't understand OSC

IL, US

buy usb midi interfaces/cables for each, you can find cheap ones for less than $10 a piece... may also need a midi coupler since both will likely have male midi din connectors