Houston

How do I fix dead columns on my dmg and is it even fixable.

(219) Indiana, USA

Are they vertical or horizontal?(your picture doesn't appear)

If they are vertical do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWAaTS4gFMc

If they are missing horizontal lines you cant really do anything

Houston

They are vertical and thanks for the vid.
Just wondering though, is there a place were I can buy a replacement screen, you know just in case I screw mine up somehow.

Louisiana

I dont know of any places to get replacement screens but this video is accurate. Its the same process I use. Just use a soldering iron and youll be good to go.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Replacing just the screen is going to be incredibly difficult, but it's easy enough to grab a cheap Game Boy and replace the whole screen PCB.

Sweden

Hijacking the thread a bit since i have the same problem only worse.

I only have three lines visible but if i press on the cable underneath i can get the entire screen working but i've been unable to fix it with the method provided, are there really no hope for my screen or am i doing something wrong?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Moholmarn wrote:

Hijacking the thread a bit since i have the same problem only worse.

I only have three lines visible but if i press on the cable underneath i can get the entire screen working but i've been unable to fix it with the method provided, are there really no hope for my screen or am i doing something wrong?

I've never found a device in which reflowing the solder hasn't fixed vertical lines like that.  Having working for a local shop fixing bulk quantities of them, as well as experience with Game Boys of my own and of my friends I think you should make sure your iron is hot enough that that the solder really is reflowing.

Louisiana

For major issues and you notice it come back when you press it it may not be that small strip right under the screen. You can also heat any other part of that ribbon cable, just dont touch the black square in the middle. Any other part of that brown ribbon can be heated. Ive often had to run my solder iron all over that damn thing. Just turn your gameboy on and watch the lines carefully. I promise this will work. Only think it work fix is if you have loose solder on your board somewhere and it makes the scren look like it has missing pixels but its actually glitching..if thats the case...good luck lol

I've only ever had one line out of some 40-50 gameboys I have fixed not work. It would just not come back on line. my guess is the actual pad broke off of the lcd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZxneat6 … r_embedded