has anyone seen chrome/silver Dmg buttons around?

KC

you could always paint some yourself but if you're talking about actual metal chrome buttons I don't think so.

someone else was talking about this awhile  back.

personally I think that would be a bit too much they would have to be cast in metal and plated which would cost some $$, not worth it

Sweeeeeeden

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4400/ … g-buttons/

matt's mind

i got the pair of silver ones (i *think* he made a set for himself, but am not positive)

they're actually incredibly awesome...  pricy (cause the silver), but really functional.  he even did the link port cover...

the added wait makes the force required to press down on a button less, which really appeals to me.  makes them like a fast-response button or something.

there was almost zero interest in more silver ones, or other metals.  at least during that attempt.  it makes justifying doing a mould to get cast metal parts like that made pretty difficult...

I would be willing to put down $ on a limited run of casted metal buttons. someone send me a message about this

matt's mind

how many people would be interested in such a product?

if there is actually interest, i wouldn't mind taking up the challenge.  i just don't see the interest level being high enough though...  (at least not to have each set cost way too much money)

Medina, Ohio

I'd be interested in seeing this, but I wouldn't spend more than $8-$10 bucks for the product... IDK if that is a possible price for you to meet, however. Good luck big_smile

UK

Yeah, I'd be totally interested in this.

9-Heart wrote:

I'd be interested in seeing this, but I wouldn't spend more than $20-$50 bucks for the product...

Geneseo, IL

Interested!

Brooklon

If you can put together an .stl model of the buttons you could always send them to shapeways and get them printed in stainless or silver. Not sure what the cost would be. You'd have to get them chromed yourself though. Shit, imagine an entirely chrome DMG. Sex.

Czech republic

You could get your DMG (and buttons) chrome plated for not too much $ if you wouldn't mind it still being plastic...

matt's mind

as in, the chrome effect that can be put onto plastics?

(if so...  i looked into this, there were some chipping issues)

Czech republic

Yes, that's what I mean - vacuum metal plating. What kind of "chipping issues"?

edit: I guess I know what you mean now. Wouldn't coating it in acrylic or something like that help? Or better quality plating? This technology IS actually used for stuff like this.

Last edited by ashimoke (Jan 3, 2013 4:36 pm)

Tulsa, OK

Metal buttons, fast response!
What about cheaper, unfinished metal buttons?

matt's mind

ok...  i'll start making moves towards metal buttons...  enough vocal interest to at least manage one run i think.  since the button design already exists it shouldn't be too hard to adjust it for this type of project.  much easier than working from scratch.

@ ashimoke -- i had some samples done like this and found around the edges of the button holes and on the edge lip of the case it was very very easy to chip/peel this coating off.  so for users i just saw too many problems.  however, i'll look back into it (they were just samples after all, which tend to be just representative sometimes).  loomis sent some samples of some knock-off cases in silver and gold that looked pretty good, seemed to be something similar but thinner and bonded to the plastic (but not just metal-effect paint).  i'm sending those samples out to my plastics people to see what they think and to try to recreate this look.