Frontlit my CGB successfully, was changing gameboy's shell and took a moment to clean some fingerprints from the SP's frontlight component, and must have done something horrible to it, its broken now. I think the film with the grooves on it is very delicate, and even a weaker rubbing alcohol hurt it. Tried scotch/packing tape to remove prints, to no avail.

So.. here I am needing another frontlight component, but not wanting to throw 20-30 bucks at an SP on ebay. Even the "as is" and "parts" SPs for sale are spendy. Anyone have access to some broken AGS-001 systems that would sell me one? If so, let me know what price point you have in mind, or throw out some other options (trade, etc). I don't have much on hand for trades, as I've used most of my cool stuff as trade items to get the cool stuff I want to keep.

Last edited by 8bitDAD (Dec 27, 2012 7:52 pm)

Murcia, Spain

How did you managed to frontlit the CGB fine? I did the mod but the screen looks dark although lit. I think it's a question of putting it vertical while it should be horizontal. How did you do it?
Sorry for the offtopic, but I have a CGB opened for this for a few months now...

I removed some of the plastic frame where the LCD sits on the front shell, and cut down the plastic sheet of the frontlight to fit in a horizontal arrangement. It looked great, and was plenty bright, but i followed some tutorials that suggested running a fingernail across the frontlight plastic to determine which side is the grooved side so that you dont get fingernails on it, and it ended up scratching it, lame!

if your frontlight is dark, it sounds like what was wrong with mine. did you clean it in any way? the plastic from the frontlight layer of the SP's screen seems really delicate, like solvents that work on the gameboy's shell and screen lens for cleaning absolutely eat away at the grooved film on the frontlight. really frustrating.

Murcia, Spain

Nap, my problem is that I positioned it vertically. I'll try to cut that plastic sheet you said, and position it horizontally. Hopefully I won't screw it up and it'll work. Thanks!

Murcia, Spain

Sorry for putting this up again, but now I've found a nice tool to cut the frontlight and I've come up with another question: Did you just cut the frontlight or the metallic frame connected to the ribbon cable as well? I don't think it'll work if I cut the metallic part, but I want to be sure.

DogTag wrote:

Sorry for putting this up again, but now I've found a nice tool to cut the frontlight and I've come up with another question: Did you just cut the frontlight or the metallic frame connected to the ribbon cable as well? I don't think it'll work if I cut the metallic part, but I want to be sure.

The metal guide isn't that thick, so you can easily cut it with a pair of wire cutters or pliers.

Murcia, Spain

So even cutting the guide it'll keep working properly?

i wasn't entirely sure how the sheath worked, and because its hard to see inside where the beveled edge of the light screen enters to located traces and such, i decided to keep it as is, and only cut down the light screen. of course this meant i had to remove more plastic than normal on the inside, including the 2 middle posts that are part of the 6-screw group that seals the GBC case. no biggy, it holds together well and you can't even tell they're missing.

Murcia, Spain

I see... well that's a shame, I'd like to keep as much plastic as possible. Let's see what plc268 have to say about cutting the metal guide...

DogTag wrote:

I see... well that's a shame, I'd like to keep as much plastic as possible. Let's see what plc268 have to say about cutting the metal guide...

Well, the metal guide is just that, a guide. There's one led at the beginning of the guide (where the ribbon is), and it  shines down the guide. Cutting it would not be detrimental to the operation of the light.

looking into it the best i could tell was that the only electronics were on the side where the ribbon cable connected, where the LED is nestled. though.. considering i had to purchase an SP and gut it for the part, I wasn't about to assume I knew everything about it, and left the guide alone. if you can confirm from experience that you can cut down the guide, then next time I mod a GBC it gets to keep those two middle support posts. thumbs up.

Murcia, Spain

Cool. That was what I wanted to know. Thanks!