Andromeda's Black Hole

I love LSDJ, and I love them chiptunes. I have a huge problem though: none of my chiptunes go anywhere! the closest I've been to finishing a chiptune was when I followed a tutorial by andaruGO and that one is only about halfway done. I get the kickdrums and the percussion in, but when it comes to making the rest of the song, I just fall short of ideas and the ideas that I do get trouble me because my instruments don't end up how I need them. What should I do? I get discouraged now and I'm not really doing anything with my gameboy.

Well, good for you.
My chiptunes are all over the place and i'm having a hard time catching them.

› Show Spoiler

Last edited by 9-Heart (Jan 8, 2013 3:53 pm)

England

does music need to go anywhere?

IL, US

well, if youre getting the percussion the way you like, could always just make some percussion only tracks until you feel inspired to write basslines, melodies, etc

Brunswick, GA USA

You can always return to piece later with freshened ears. Also, even drum-only tracks can have a feel of beginning, middle, and end, so why not try working on that as an experiment?

Jellica wrote:

jellic a ur a awesome , , hehe deep : ) : )

Unsubscribe
Jellica wrote:

I only listen to music that has tension and resolution.

NC in the US of America

Try humming along to your percussion. Try simply using basic instrument sounds instead of getting stuck trying to make something complex sounding.

México, DF.

That's maybe because you only got the tool but need some train to use it.
Try learning to play some instrument, listening to a lot of music and isolating the instruments and structures.
Instruments won't fit until you listen to yourself objectively and give each one a certain thing to do. Give it time and try to make as many tunes as you can.

herr_prof wrote:

I only listen to music that has tension and resolution.

Which is basically all the music?

Last edited by eme7h (Jan 8, 2013 5:03 pm)

Lexington, KY

I can't stress enough the value in learning super basic music theory. Also, try making some very short songs. Like, songs with only 2 parts: a musically tense buildup and a nice melodic release. Do that enough and you'll get a damn good feel for how songs work.
You could also try to do a couple cover songs and see how those are written.

California, United States
Solarbear wrote:

I can't stress enough the value in learning super basic music theory. Also, try making some very short songs. Like, songs with only 2 parts: a musically tense buildup and a nice melodic release. Do that enough and you'll get a damn good feel for how songs work.
You could also try to do a couple cover songs and see how those are written.

Totally take this dudes advice!

every song is an experiment which leads to the next. if a tutorial isn't helping you, try holding some image in mind which inspires you, enrages you, evokes some emotion in you, and try to make music which encapsulates that, whether or not its inspiration is obvious to anyone else. don't necessarily take the advice of doing covers because it can help but can also make you mechanical.

Solarbear wrote:

songs with only 2 parts: a musically tense buildup and a nice melodic release.

The Solarbear Code.

Brunswick, GA USA

Re: tension/release, yes, there is music that is interesting but deliberately lacking"plot contour," but it takes hard work (and innovative timbre) to do that well, then the pieces that don't go anywhere alone are put into a set which has tension and release of its own.

The best advice is to keep practicing and don't be discouraged if it takes a while to feel good about the results.

Lexington, KY
9-Heart wrote:
Solarbear wrote:

songs with only 2 parts: a musically tense buildup and a nice melodic release.

The Solarbear Code.

Shit. My last jam had 13 independent sections, haha. If anything, I can't focus at all! XD

Chicago IL

maybe you aren't supposed to be writing music