Chicago

ok, so a couple of days ago, i was approached by some guys at my school saying that they were planning on doing this big live music event at the school, and wanted DJ's to play in between the bands. I informed them that i was no longer a dj, but now rather made chiptunes. they were interested and asked for a demo, which the next day i provided.
the question is: If they ask me to play should i take the gig, knowing that people there would probably not appreciate the art, or even get what i was doing.
also if i were to play, how should i perform. i have only one EMS cart with LDSJ, and they want a "DJ mix" or the equivalent for chiptunes. any suggestions?

Granada, Spain

you can use another gameboy+gb camera for random noise/loops between loading songs in lsdj, or just someting that makes noises. Noises are cool.

Abandoned on Fire

LDSj - Latter Day Saints jockey
This sounds fantastic.  wink

IL, US

if you dont feel prepared to play live, you shouldnt feel any huge need to do so...do you know how long a set theyd expect? you should probably only do it if you have at least 2-4 times as much chip stuff you have written that you'd feel like playing live
or, you could write a set just for the gig.. go super minimal and find a way to squeeze a lot of minutes worth of tracks out of a single save ..

Utah
egr wrote:

My initials are LDS, I am LDS and I use LSDJ. tongue

Anyways, any I suggest taking any opportunity you get to play a gig. Couldn't you just play some sweet chipmusic off your iPod inbetween your original music?

Austin, Texas

Why are you not a DJ anymore? You could always do some traditional DJing between sets and mix in your own work as a chipmusician.

NC in the US of America

You could put P commands on every channel at the end of your songs so you have some noise going on while you're loading the next song? Or if you have a delay guitar pedal, you could activate that on the last note and have that echoing out while you're loading.

You could also compose a new set all in the same song file, and separate each song by empty spaces.

egr wrote:

ahaha

Edit: Also, I think you should take the gig if you're confident with your compositions and presence.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jan 8, 2013 11:28 pm)

babylon

dont do it! they secretly think your a nerd and theyre gonna dump pigs blood on you as soon as they hear the gameboy start up noise.

Brunswick, GA USA
The Laohu wrote:

Couldn't you just play some sweet chipmusic off your iPod inbetween your original music?

This. In truth, your set is what you want it to be.

Chicago

@E.S.C.-They only want like a 15-20 minute set, and i have the material. unfortunateley, i lost a few songs due to a corrupted sav, but i should have enough for that.
I was thinking maybe load a copy of LSDJ + my latest Sav onto a psp and mix using that?

IL, US

you have a psp? you can run lsdj through game boy emulators on it if you have CFW on it, just run lsdj on that and the game boy, switching as needed

San Diego, CA

most people aren't going to notice if transitions between songs are short enough -- the only people who REALLY criticize dj mixes are djs (amateur and otherwise).

if you have a PSP, just load up a song on the non-active device while the first song is playing and then be ready to hit start when your first song ends. simple and easy! and just repeat for every song in your set.

Chicago
e.s.c. wrote:

you have a psp? you can run lsdj through game boy emulators on it if you have CFW on it, just run lsdj on that and the game boy, switching as needed

Thats probably what ill do. Im gonna get another EMS eventually, but just not now.
Thanks Guys! ill post on this thread again if they decide im "Too School For Cool" and let me play.

Unsubscribe

ps: homer rin is a really nice gb emulator.

Chicago
herr_prof wrote:

ps: homer rin is a really nice gb emulator.

will it work on a PSP classic? also maybe a non-shady download link? Im not trusting any of the ones i find.

Maine

I dont remember if posting emulator links is frowned upon on this site if so sorry (i read the rules i didnt see anything in there)
heres a non shady link
http://dl.qj.net/psp/emulators/homers-rin-v32.html
thats the one i use on my psp it works great for me