Hello!

So, My arduinoboy suddenly stopped working with midi out.
The symptoms:
Master clock out still works. lights flash in rhythm and drum machine follows happily.
midi out gives no flashing lights when sending midi notes (on neither of the 4 channels)
the push button has a hard time cycling through the steps. (goes fine from 1 (slave) to 7 (midi out) but then stops. I can only get it to the next program if i push it while booting the gameboy)

I reflashed my lsdj, and updated the arduinoboy code to the latest version, resoldered some wires. but still nada.

Don't know where to start looking as well.. any help/tips?

p.s. I did work at some time in the past, but I haven't used it in a while. it had some rough times, and i had to replace a resistor that broke off, but other than that, it should work..

hmm,
when i tried to set the sync to midiout in another song, This happened.

and then this

I think I'd better just rebuild the whole thing..

Sweeeeeeden

My guess is that the data line of the link cable is broken. Either red or orange wire if you're using an official link cable, otherwise probably completely different. Or "pin 1" on the arduino, using the AB schematic.

I just switched to a DMG-07 cable after it was build semi-internally. but it didn't work correct on both cables/connections.
I checked the cable for breaks, but it seemed fine.

So, I just reassembled the whole thing, And I'm gonna build it again tongue

I only forgot to write down the cable colour / connection.. Are those DMG07 all coloured the same? and if so, is there a list with colour to connection?

So, I rebuild the whole thing. (well, almost whole. no midi in yet)

And the troubles keep appearing.
I connected the colours like this photo i found of another arduinoboy: http://imgur.com/a/Qlm3R#GcagD
Also checked for breaks and right connections, it should all check out this way.

The same troubles keep crashing and burning.

Midi master sync works fine.
arduinoboy won't let me cycle modes, it stops at the midi out mode. (unless i press the button while booting)
If the arduinoboy is in midi-out mode, the gameboy completely glitches up when I try to change sync mode (even from off to slave.. any change crashes), But it will let me change modes when it's in, say, master sync.

I tried different gameboys, different EMS carts. reflashed the arduino and the carts..
I'm kind of at a loss here.. sad
Is my arduino broken? and why does it only crash with midi-out?

Oh, the only thing that's different on my arduinoboy is that pin 3, with the button, uses a 2k2 resistor instead of a 2k, I couldn't find any. But it worked with that resistor a year ago just fine..

Last edited by Timbob (Jan 10, 2013 11:36 pm)

check the gameboy itself, if there is a loose bit of metal or solder shorting the pins in the link port then it can lock the arduinoboy.

NeX wrote:

check the gameboy itself, if there is a loose bit of metal or solder shorting the pins in the link port then it can lock the arduinoboy.

I tried it on different gameboys, and they all give the same crashes sad
So I borrowed another arduino, and I'm gonna build a new one. To see if that one works.. I don't know what can be the problem anymore.

If you socket the Arduino than you can easily switch it out in the future, some seem to have problems after a while.

Sooo, I got another arduino. rebuild the whole thing.

It doesn't make lsdj crash anymore. but it won't let me send midi notes either.

what I did is... I replaced: The arduino, the gameboy, the cables, all components, the lsdj cart...

I don't know what to replace anymore now.
why won't it send midi notes? It does a master sync with no problem.
this is confusing.

Detroit

I'm having this exact same problem with my Xiwi Arduinoboy! Any luck?

NUMBSKULL

Which issue, the freezing thing or just no midi out of LSDJ?

Detroit

Both haha. As far as I can tell lsdj is functioning as it should, it's the arduino that's having trouble.

I'm basically in the same spot as Timbob.

Master sync works, but when I try to set everything midi out I get the exact same issues he shows above, my lsdj doesn't crash that hard though, it just locks up until I unplug it from the AB. Hardware wise everything should be cool, I've tried different gameboys and the AB is a brand new kitsch x Xiwi.

Sweden

Have you tried setting sync mode to MIDI out in LSDJ and on the Arduinoboy before connecting the cable to the link port?
I have also got crashes and hanging, but I solved it by doing things in this order.

Detroit

Yeah I've tried that, no good. AB locks up, gameboy acts just fine, but still no midi out or led flashes.

NUMBSKULL

The xiwi is a kit, right? Has it previously worked and then stopped? I've never used a xiwi kit but I've messed around a bunch with them and the only time I've seen it lock up is if the link cable is incorrectly wired or if some of the arduino pins aren't connected correctly.

Detroit

No, it's the pre-built kitch x Xiwi, I just got it the other day.

My cable was built by a friend, I trust him, but I think I might take a look just to make sure.