São Paulo, Brazil
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

I played for a goth crowd, when I used to sing with my chips. It was awful.

I am still sorry I missed that.

Brazil
PULSELOOPER wrote:
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

I played for a goth crowd, when I used to sing with my chips. It was awful.

I am still sorry I missed that.

The best part, though, was some girls doing masochist stuff on some guys (the guy was on the floor and she was jumping on his back with high heels, was pretty weird). Also before my set there was a girl dancing some Belly Dancing.

sweden

First time with other chip sounding project was in 2003 at some local battle of the bands competition.

First time as nordloef was in 2007 at a student bar.

Both went relatively OK.

Robotcity, the year 20XX

First gig was at the open mic at EINDBAAS 5. Afterwards we were asked to join the EINDBAAS on TOUR package and eventually we played EINDBAAS 8 together with Covox and Bit Shifter (who was our biggest inspiration to start making chiptunes in the first place big_smile)

Melbourne, Australia
roboctopus wrote:

I recommend bringing something to drink onstage (water, alcohol, whatev) because I didn't and I got very thirsty.

Good thinking!
Also that was an awesome sound and crowd for your first gig!

Last edited by Calavera (Jan 17, 2013 10:52 pm)

Melbourne, Australia
DataFix wrote:

It was a 3 song set at an open mic, my music was awful though, and i was using stock lsdj kits for drums. I can't believe how bad it was, and why i wanted to play i don't even know. Hahaha. But the response was surprisingly really good, which was weird.

I'm in an extremely similar situation, short open mic thing coming up, newb chipmusician, don't know why I want to do this to myself, etc etc.
I suppose I just want to throw myself in the deep end and see what I learn from it. If one or two people look up from their drinks and clap I'll be over the moon.

Melbourne, Australia
Heosphoros wrote:

Played a bunch of WIPs from my first album in front of roughly 15 people, most of them my friends and the rest were the staff of the bar. Huge venue and it felt empty as hell. Got wasted on free beer and then drank a pint of vodka with a friend in the bathroom. Ended up screaming "Fuck Ozzy Osborn" and "Worship Satan" a few time through out my set, as there was an Ozzy Osborn tribute show at the bar connected to the one I was playing in. Went outside for a smoke and then got caught with the leftover vodka in my pocket. Got black listed from my own show. Snuck in from the back to pack my shit and then left with out getting paid.

True Chip 'Till Death

So metal.

Melbourne, Australia
Men of Mega wrote:

...and eventually we played EINDBAAS 8 together with Covox and Bit Shifter (who was our biggest inspiration to start making chiptunes in the first place big_smile)

Wow, lucky!

IL, US

serious advice: use the restroom first... not much fun holding in an urge to piss during your set

Melbourne, Australia
e.s.c. wrote:

serious advice: use the restroom first... not much fun holding in an urge to piss during your set

Oh man, that'd be the worst. As if the pressure of your first performance isn't enough!

e.s.c. wrote:

For all of us LSDJ users, just put it in SONG mode and walk away for a moment.

IL, US

first, fiftieth either way.. just always important...

São Paulo, Brazil

I performed with my brothers at Chippanze.org at a cultural center here in Sao Paulo. It was fun, I used one dmg and one nintendo DS (running nitrotracker). People thought that a bit strange.

EDIT: my second gig was at Rio with Bit Shifter, Bubblyfish, Covox, Random, Sabrepulse and Henry Homesweet. So I obviously thought I was a big shot.

Last edited by PULSELOOPER (Jan 17, 2013 10:57 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil
e.s.c. wrote:

When I was younger and had a band, I once apologize for the audience in a crappy joint, left my guitar by the amp (generating a beautiful feedback) and went to the restroom.

Brazil

Piss before shows.

Chicago IL

It was a party someone was having called DrunkeNES. There was $5 a cup, and the guy had a couple kegs and like a case of Jim Beam. I spent maybe two weeks getting my set ready in / learning Ableton. I was planning to DJ for half the set and play my shit for the other half, but the guy had 3 turn tables, 2 cartridges and none of them had a working needle. I played all Nintendo Breakz material (and other NES remixes that I don't think ended up anywhere else) It was super dark during my set, and I could only really see my laptop. I thought I could feel people dancing, but later someone told me skinheads had shown up and one of them was just going apeshit on this floor-mounted punching bag during my set. The skinheads were also huffing Dust-Off (definitely) and smoking DMT(i think).

You can stream / download it from this page, it's labeled "[19:21] Saskrotch - Saskrotch Live"
http://mp3-sait.info/listen/Saskrotch

Good / embarassing memories listening to this for the first time in years.

Last edited by Saskrotch (Jan 17, 2013 11:33 pm)