California

if you happen to be playing a show the same day as trash80 and someone comes up to you and asks you to hold onto an OP-1......dont take it.
i walked  up to trash80 and tried to introduced myself just to get cut off with "where did you get that?.....thats mine." worst way to meet someone you admire since the first time i heard about chipmusic haha. at least i took a picture with him while he played missing you. it was hilarious.

oh yeah, take extra batteries and back up your carts or whatever before. i lost like four songs that night due to a corrupt cart -___-

Last edited by AuburnKitsune (Jan 17, 2013 11:54 pm)

Utah

First gig of any musical nature was a battle of the bands in high school. I sang and wore a vintage, three-piece, green suit and was as stiff as a board. My first chip show was last summer at summerfest in Milwaukee. A ton of people came and it was awesome. Well, awesome except that it was 95 degrees Fahrenheit, super sunny and super humid (it was outdoors).

Melbourne, Australia
AuburnKitsune wrote:

if you happen to be playing a show the same day as trash80 and someone comes up to you and asks you to hold onto an OP-1......dont take it.

Were you planning on stealing it? Those things are freaking expensive, the thought would probably have crossed my mind. yikes

Joliette, QC, Canada
gwEm wrote:

I remember my first show quite well, we smashed up an Atari ST case and threw it into the audience. I remember using a can of premium strength lager as a prop

HOLY SMOKES !!\! yikes
--------------------------------------------------------
Yeah I remember my first time. It was at the 1st Toy Company in Montreal...my microkorg wasnt plugged when I started it makes a long silence lol. I did a little game I took all the aces from a deck of card and each one was a part of the show and I let the people pick the card in between but I started with the one I didnt want to start with (TrippyH + Microkorg) but the rest went well and was totally throwing myself from left to right on the stage haha sillyfucck !
The crowd was cool with it (I think tongue)

Gosford, Australia
AuburnKitsune wrote:

i walked  up to trash80 and tried to introduced myself just to get cut off with "where did you get that?.....thats mine."

oh dude, last year at blip aus open mic i was stupid like roboctopus and didnt drink any water so i was rad thirsty afterwards
the bar has a "special" on "rave juice" or some shit idk but it was like $25 a jug or something crazy
so i go up to the bar to grab a cup of water, there's two jugs full of clear liquid next to each other so i grab the one on the left and pour a cup
before i start to chug i notice trash80 and ctrix standing there looking at me like "wtf are you doing"
i'm like "oh... this isn't water, is it?"
they're like "nope"
i pour it all back into the jug and we all had a good chuckle

Melbourne, Australia
Victory Road wrote:

oh dude, last year at blip aus open mic i was stupid like roboctopus and didnt drink any water so i was rad thirsty afterwards
the bar has a "special" on "rave juice" or some shit idk but it was like $25 a jug or something crazy
so i go up to the bar to grab a cup of water, there's two jugs full of clear liquid next to each other so i grab the one on the left and pour a cup
before i start to chug i notice trash80 and ctrix standing there looking at me like "wtf are you doing"
i'm like "oh... this isn't water, is it?"
they're like "nope"
i pour it all back into the jug and we all had a good chuckle

Awks.

San Diego, CA
AuburnKitsune wrote:

god he loves that thing doesn't he?

ok, I'll bite -- my first performance as space town savior was an open mic.

ok, I'm biting again -- my first real gig was at a bar I had never heard of before and I was SUPER stiff (as in, didn't move while playing) during the whole thing. that's where I met my bro4lyfe mike bleeds and we nerded out about lsdj and chiptune and eventually admitted that we had cyber-stalked the other before the show! he's told me multiple times that he was super stoked to have at least one more guy in San Diego doing chiptune.

you can find the youtube video somewhere but you probably shouldn't because it's awful hmm

Melbourne, Australia
spacetownsavior wrote:

ok, I'm biting again -- my first real gig was at a bar I had never heard of before and I was SUPER stiff (as in, didn't move while playing) during the whole thing. that's where I met my bro4lyfe mike bleeds and we nerded out about lsdj and chiptune and eventually admitted that we had cyber-stalked the other before the show! he's told me multiple times that he was super stoked to have at least one more guy in San Diego doing chiptune.

you can find the youtube video somewhere but you probably shouldn't because it's awful hmm

That's what its all about I suppose, meeting people with similar interests and hitting it off, etc

Philadelphia

Mine was terrible. My first song was pretty god awful and to prepare for it, I loaded the save onto my cart, didn't check to make sure everything was in order before I got to the venue, loaded up to a somewhat corrupted sav of an already bad song. Fun times!

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

My first live (non webshow) performance was for about 12 people here in Sacramento. It was the first chipshow anyone's ever known about here, so the number seems about right considering it wasn't really advertised. . . I remember chugging down beer because the bottles kept foaming and I didn't want any of my equipment getting wet. I was completely into my music, not caring how many people were there or not. Sadly, no video, but I think I rocked it pretty hard. Here's a pic:

I ended up buying that mixer off of one of the other artists later. The one I was using was on the other side.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Aside from house parties, my first real shows were all with deadbeatblast and Blip Noir.

We started with a guerrilla street show, I just sent them a message saying that I'd bring a PA and a car battery to Toronto City Hall and we'd take advantage of the huge crowds that turned up for the yearly street festival.  It ended up being a massive success and we then launched into doing all sorts of other shows, together and otherwise.

Washington DC

I played in front of like 10 people at the jam space at magfest and then the next day Virt saw me in the lobby of the hotel and told me he thought my stuff was cool.

NOT TO SHABBY.

Robotcity, the year 20XX

And here's some advice for all the gigs after your first one: don't step over the fine line of having a good buzz and being absolutely wasted. We just fucked up too many gigs being drunk as hell.

Matthew Joseph Payne

My first "chiptune" "gig" was at a jazz festival I was attending in like, 2001? 2002? I played a song called "Zero Fun Value" that was just LSDJ (on my v1.2 cart) and this weird phonics toy with a 1/4" jack added to it. I spelled out "JAZZCAMP" on the toy during the song. I think I threw my hat off at some point. People liked it a lot. I think I have a VHS of it somewhere.

At this point I had never heard the words "chiptune" or "chipmusic", I had no idea anyone else was doing it, and all my drums were default wav channel samples. Those were good days.

edit: Looked at the LSDJ changelog, if I was correct about the LSDJ version, it would have had to have been 2002, because I had the cart for awhile and v 1.2 happened mid 2001.

Last edited by kineticturtle (Jan 18, 2013 5:57 pm)

Montana

I still haven't played live yet. I need to get on that shit!

Maine

i just played live for my first time (im not counting that other time anymore lol)
it was interesting i only had two songs ready but people seemed to enjoy it big_smile
in case you where wondering it was at my friends going away party