shanghai

you are not a dj if you play live with two gameboys
you are not a dj if you 'remix on the fly' on your laptop w ableton
you ARE a dj if you mix music and thats its. On decks, on cdj's and with serato.
i think some musicians that have the name 'dj' before them is probably because they mix aswell. or mixed before they became a producer.
no one  seems to understand what a dj is anymore

ohio gozaimasu

LS "DJ" <- Thread closed

New Albany Indiana

This really kinda ticks me off honestly, i have an,.. a friend how basically semi good at making loops and sampling. Or just recording the demo songs on renoise and he calls himself "Dj zape".

Abandoned on Fire
Downstate wrote:

no one  seems to understand what a dj is anymore

Or producer.

New Albany Indiana

Yea, Dj= disc jokey, and if im correct, that's some one who changes cd's at parties.

Bit wish wrote:

Yea, Dj= disc jokey, and if im correct, that's some one who changes cd's at parties.

Little bit of DJ history:
For about 50 years they were the people who played records over radio broadcasts and were the moguls that made new (and good) music accessible to audiences. They were not mixers, mashers, or masters of scratching razzle dazzle. They were people who listened to tons of music, and simply played it over the radio. During times of racial tension in the US, white DJs pretended to sound black (jive, slang, etc) and would spin black music like blues and early rock'n'roll. Later, white kids would listen to the music on the radio, and liked the abrasiveness (abrasive to what their parents listened to) of the announcer and the music. The white (and some black) DJs who played black music over the air were forced out of their broadcasting jobs due to pressure from higher ups at broadcasting companies, and got gigs playing for clubs and bars where it wasn't so tense. There was a demand for the music to never stop, which was the birth of turntablism, and things eventually involved into what they are today.

tl;dr They weren't/aren't the people who change CD's at parties, real DJ's are people who know music worth listening to or dancing to for sizable groups of people. How they choose to make that music accessible is up to them.

Chip musicians who are "DJ's" are rare. I DJ at a local bar from time to time, but it doesn't make me a "DJ'ing chip musician." I mix my own tunes up, and mash up others, it's not DJ'ing. As long as I am playing someone else's music, it is like I am being a disc jockey in some fashion. When I am "performing" my works live, it is all done "in the mix." It's just how I feel, but whatever. DJ'ing is a rather new art, and chipmusic is even newer. I feel like it's not easy to debate this given the actual lap of overlap between the two, despite the similarities between sampling and (re)production techniques (from my perspective).

Last edited by thebitman (Jan 20, 2013 5:25 am)

New Albany Indiana
thebitman wrote:
Bit wish wrote:

Little bit of DJ history:
For about 50 years they were the people who played records over radio broadcasts and were the moguls that made new (and good) music accessible to audiences. They were not mixers, mashers, or masters of scratching razzle dazzle. They were people who listened to tons of music, and simply played it over the radio. During times of racial tension in the US, white DJs pretended to sound black (jive, slang, etc) and would spin black music like blues and early rock'n'roll. Later, white kids would listen to the music on the radio, and liked the abrasiveness (abrasive to what their parents listened to) of the announcer and the music. The white (and some black) DJs who played black music over the air were forced out of their broadcasting jobs due to pressure from higher ups at broadcasting companies, and got gigs playing for clubs and bars where it wasn't so tense. There was a demand for the music to never stop, which was the birth of turntablism, and things eventually involved into what they are today.

tl;dr They weren't/aren't the people who change CD's at parties, real DJ's are people who know music worth listening to or dancing to for sizable groups of people. How they choose to make that music accessible is up to them.

Chip musicians who are "DJ's" are rare. I DJ at a local bar from time to time, but it doesn't make me a "DJ'ing chip musician." I mix my own tunes up, and mash up others, it's not DJ'ing. As long as I am playing someone else's music, it is like I am being a disc jockey in some fashion. When I am "performing" my works live, it is all done "in the mix." It's just how I feel, but whatever. DJ'ing is a rather new art, and chipmusic is even newer. I feel like it's not easy to debate this given the actual lap of overlap between the two, despite the similarities between sampling and (re)production techniques (from my perspective).

yea, if you could just summarize this, i'd be great

Maine

when i start performing i'd rather be called a performer then a dj tongue

TSSBAY01

TheBronyChip

New Albany Indiana

I wouldn't want to be called a performer, its hardly performing for me, i press start.

New Albany Indiana
Bit wish wrote:

I wouldn't want to be called a performer, its hardly performing for me, i press start.

More like a producer, actually, i guess that would be dj'n

Holland

I do not, although people tend to think I do when I play live.

I always explain to them that our xyce shows are more of an artist showcase rather than a DJ set. We play our songs. Our tempo's, beats and sounds are so different from each other that mixing them with an Atari, PC and Amiga is one hell of a job.

Godzilladelph
theDutchess wrote:

Additional question: In electronic/VGM/chipmusic, what's the difference between a cover and a remix? It's kind of an extreme analogy because she performs rock, not electronic music but bear with me. Linda Ronstadt would never consider herself a DJ even though her claim to fame is re-interpreting rock songs.

It's all in the composition/arrangement.

A remix is a new arrangement with possibly new additional instruments and composition, but the same basic timbres/sound design as the original.

A cover is, for the most part, the same composition and arrangement but different timbres/sound design.

Godzilladelph

btw, aside from spurn of the moment noise/chip overrated improv pieces that happen, I am mainly just dj'ing my own material on stage.

So what does that make me?

England

I went to a jam recently downstairs in a pub. I had my guitar, effects and amp with me, all in cases.

Someone said to me as I struggled with my kit "hey, Mr DJ!".

I replied indignantly that I was a musician and I never played other people's records at public events.

Besides, DJ as an epithet reminds me of characters like this one:

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
InactiveX wrote:

Someone said to me as I struggled with my kit "hey, Mr DJ!"

Come Mr. DJ song pon de replay,
Come Mr. DJ, won't you turn the music up?