D D D Detroit, not the burbs

because it makes people upset.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have nothing against DJs, I think it's a fun and important part of music culture.  I also don't write off entirely the skillsets used by some DJs; some of them are doing very musical and technical stuff.  However, most of DJing is song selection and that's not the same thing as writing music.

That said, I don't call myself a DJ.

Holland
jefftheworld wrote:

I have nothing against DJs, I think it's a fun and important part of music culture.  I also don't write off entirely the skillsets used by some DJs; some of them are doing very musical and technical stuff.  However, most of DJing is song selection and that's not the same thing as writing music.

That said, I don't call myself a DJ.

Agreed. Especially DJ's that do modern types of techno, house, minimal. It's very much a choice of good records and timing which does the job, not so much the technique or skills to mix a 127bpm 4/4 track in to another 127bpm 4/4 track. No offense to those who DJ really but it's a lot different than actually writing music.

Chicago IL

I think the thing we should focus on here is that there are barely any chip producers who call themselves DJ

Holland
Saskrotch wrote:

I think the thing we should focus on here is that there are barely any chip producers who call themselves DJ

Well, that's a good thing right? Unless they are actually DJ-ing. big_smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't really care one way or another.  Even beyond chipmusic, I think most non-DJs who call themselves DJs are doing so to evoke an image, not because they don't know what a DJ is.

ohgodno, Indiana

Jokys freak me out, little hands and such....

Brazil

Dj Dollynho

Dick Jocky

washington
jefftheworld wrote:

I don't call myself a DJ.

Last edited by basspuddle (Jan 21, 2013 5:29 pm)

Liverpool, UK

I perform under the name DJ Sax Appeal, I take off my shirt and only play songs that have saxophone in them.

Playboy Man-Baby
calmdownkidder wrote:

I perform under the name DJ Sax Appeal, I take off my shirt and only play songs that have saxophone in them.

You should play songs that only have saxophone in them.