UK

I'm having a little trouble with pitch bending in LSDJ. I want to pitch a note up two semitones and then back down to the original note. However I don't have a good control over the P command in terms of the pitch I want.

Anyone have a solution to my problem?

Tables.
Have you consider them?

buffalo, NY

You're talking about like a guitar bend.

So lets say your note is D5 and you want to bend up to E5.

Put in a D5, then in the next tick on the phrase, insert an E5 with an L01 command on the right.  Then on the E5, REMOVE the instrument number.  Then whenever you want it to bend back, put in a D5 with another L01 without an instrument number again. 

There's a thousand ways to optimize this by actually understanding how commands work, but this should work for now

Brazil

Yeah, Lxx is what's best for you. The Pxx is too wild to do little pitch bends

UK
danimal cannon wrote:

You're talking about like a guitar bend.

So lets say your note is D5 and you want to bend up to E5.

Put in a D5, then in the next tick on the phrase, insert an E5 with an L01 command on the right.  Then on the E5, REMOVE the instrument number.  Then whenever you want it to bend back, put in a D5 with another L01 without an instrument number again. 

There's a thousand ways to optimize this by actually understanding how commands work, but this should work for now

Brilliant! It worked perfectly. Thanks ever so much smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

For future reference, the Lxx command is the legato command.  Placing it next to a note will cause the pitch to slide to that value from the previous value at speed xx.  Removing the instrument value is done to prevent the note from riggering again, which is useful if you don't want the ADSR to retrigger.  Sometimes you'll want a retrigger, however, so don't think you are required to remove this.

In most cases you'll hear the difference and you can simply pick what sounds best.  Deleting the instrument value and leaving out the Lxx command will give you a sort of hammer-on effect.  Ie, there will be a single 'trigger' and the pitches will switch instantly.

There is a lot of flexibility that can be had with the Lxx, Pxx and placement of instrument values.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jan 24, 2013 9:47 pm)

Chicago IL

Yeah, think of L as setting a note as your new target pitch, and XX = how fast you want to get there.

Plus RTFM

UK

I've encountered another problem. L01 command slides too quickly for my case. Anyway of making the slide any slower?

Sweeeeeeden

Change the vibrato type of the instrument to anything but the HF type.

buffalo, NY
nitro2k01 wrote:

Change the vibrato type of the instrument to anything but the HF type.

I found the lowest setting for L-XX  using HFvibrato works JUST good enough for most full step bends. Half step bends and bluesier sounding bends require a different setting for sure

what does the HF stand for?

edit: High Frequency. Right.

Last edited by fluxer (Jan 25, 2013 1:22 am)

Just of the top of my head

Make the phrase half as fast by giving it a G01 C/C (instead of 6/6).