Riverside, CA

Live mode would be awesome, but seriously the two  things that are keeping me from using Klystrack as my main tracker (and not one that I just kinda diddle with) are
-MIDI clock out: being able to sync my Game Boy is a big deal for my setup
-MIDI controller knob assignment: being able to use my knobs to tweak parameters on the fly is also a dealbreaker

I've liked Klystrack since the beginning, but it's just missing a couple things that I need at the moment sad

Tokyo, Japan

I like n00bstars ideas!

N00bstar is my Chiptune.

Tokyo, Japan

also holy fuck, I didn't notice the FM pattern commands!

I won't add anything that is not at least a bit analoguous to some classic sound chip feature. Noise pitch is acceptable because many chips do that (even if 90 % of the current design is based on SID). More complex FM not so much, and the envelope can be made as complex as you like by adding some modulator slide commands that allow e.g. simple LFO effects. That said the FM engine still needs to be changed since it's not even as good as OPL-2 yet.

The colored pattern idea is good. It was a feature on this one famous sound chip.

I would gladly add some MIDI out features but I am not sure at all how to send instant and really regular (i.e. normal timer stuff is not enough) messages. If I send the messages based on the play position you see on the screen, the messages might be first 100 ms apart, then 150 ms apart for a bit and 75 ms for a while, which eventually averages out but it sounds awful. Same goes for MIDI clock in, no idea how the big boys make that work so well.

Psydney, Australia

Add more Linde tunes to Klystrack pls kthx

Tokyo, Japan
kometbomb wrote:

The colored pattern idea is good. It was a feature on this one famous sound chip.

LOL!

United States

Sorry I'm a bit late asking back, but how do you download the nightly source?

Psydney, Australia

You can download the latest nightly build from here: https://code.google.com/p/klystrack/downloads/list

That doesn't mean there's  new one every night smile

Look at the klystrack wiki, it has instructions how to get the sources (you need SVN) and how to compile.

http://code.google.com/p/klystrack/wiki/HowToCompile

Edit: Updated the article a bit.

Last edited by kometbomb (Jan 17, 2014 7:06 am)

I just added support for carrier multiplier. You can create more awesome FM cheese with weird ratios and you don't even have to retune the instrument (so in effect the carrier multiplier never changes but the modulator multiplier is set to e.g. 0.333 when carrier is 3 and modulator 1). The carrier multiplier is the high nibble of the MULT parameter and the low nibble is the modulator multiplier, this hack is temporary. Multiplier values are the same as for the OPL chips, as listed in this very thread.

Oh, Google Code file hosting ended so here's a link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119 … -win32.zip

Last edited by kometbomb (Jan 19, 2014 4:52 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

I am probably being a huge dumbass but where is the carrier multiplier?

The high nibble of the MULT param, duhhh! Seriously though, if you have MULT set to 3F, it means carrier is multiplied by 3 and modulator by 15 (and the whole instrument is magically transposed so it doesn't play out of tune, in this case the instrument would play a fifth higher but it's transposed down). You can shift-click the up and down buttons and it will change the high nibble. Generally, you can probably just randomly click the param to some setting until you find an interesting harmonic.

There needs to be a separate parameter for it but I didn't want to spend the whole Sunday afternoon working on silly projects! smile

Feedback should work better now btw. Also, I tried to create some sounds by ear and compared those to some Youtube videos of old games and in many cases you get very close to the original.

Tokyo, Japan

oh oh oh sorry! I see what you mean. Sorry, I didn't read your post properly!

It's not like my ramblings are easy to decode.

United States
kometbomb wrote:

Look at the klystrack wiki, it has instructions how to get the sources (you need SVN) and how to compile.

http://code.google.com/p/klystrack/wiki/HowToCompile

Edit: Updated the article a bit.

So the regular download code to download the code has the nightly code in it...?

That is correct.