Montreal, Canada

Hmm the only things that doesn't fully work is the colours for the patterns. Only works in Default and Blacklyst skins.

Montreal, Canada

Also, suggestion:

Make the song timer reset only when the song is restarted, not when it's stopped. That way the timer will remain at whatever value it was when the song was stopped. Sometimes you want to know how long is a particular part of a song and you play the patterns, then press stop, then look at the timer, and read 0:00, put on your coat, boots, mittens, walk down to the pet store, buy a cute puppy, come back home, brutally murder the cute puppy by punching it repeatedly, and press play again.

It's costing me a fortune in puppies.

I'll get to that right now.

Tokyo, Japan

You are doing an amazing job Kometbomb!

Ok I fixed that and the bug that added extra silence in the end of exported .wavs (so they wouldn't e.g. loop properly.)

You are doing an amazing job Kometbomb!

Thanks but I actually have been too lazy with this!

Last edited by kometbomb (Dec 28, 2014 10:06 am)

Tokyo, Japan

I guess the next big reqest would be a rethink of the instrument screen layout which i know would be a pain.

Tokyo, Japan

I guess the next big reqest would be a rethink of the instrument screen layout which i know would be a pain.

Some updates again (the Linux files are updated even though the filename stays the same):

http://code.google.com/p/klystrack/

* Pattern colors not working in some themes fixed (might look awful)
* Clipboard had a bug that copied the wrong amount of data which probably caused some weirdness when copy/pasting pattern data
* Play time works correctly when starting from mid-song
* Export fixed so that the wavs don't have extra data at the very end
* Transpose note data and interpolate command params was broken
* XM import fixed

Montreal, Canada

w00t!

Some things about the colours:

- It would be nice if the program didn't assign random colours to patterns when a pre-1304 song is loaded. Makes working on old song a pain to look at, or take a long ass time to fix

- Patterns should not be assigned a random colour when they are created, it just adds an extra step if you don't want to be bleeding from the eye holes ten minutes later. Colours should be opt-in, not opt-out.

- Pattern colours definitely need to be assignable from the full-screen sequencer page and not just the classic tracker screen

Well, they should not be random but white by default. Is a shortcut ok for sequencer pattern color change thingy?

Montreal, Canada

Yeah I don't think they are really random colours, just a 'default' setup. Pattern 00 is always white, pattern 01 always red etc etc. So when you either load an older song without colour data, or start a new song, it uses this default setup of colours for the patterns. It should definitely be all white by default.

Keyboard shortcuts should be quite enough in the fullscreen sequencer. The thing is, if we have to do it one pattern at a time, it's always going to take forever. There should be a way to assign specific colour to a block of selected patterns.

By the way, now the color is set per pattern and not per sequence pattern item. Is this enough?

Montreal, Canada

Hmm I just launched 1304 and started a new song directly without loading an old one first, and all the patterns are white by default. Maybe the funky rainbow default setup only happens when an older song is loaded up.

Per pattern vs per sequence pattern item? Not sure I understand. You mean colour is separate from the actual pattern (the chunk of note/command data) and is now associated only with it's position on the sequence? Or the other way around? Or am I totally off the mark?

I think you got it but to make it clear: if you have pattern 01 at two positions in the sequence, they will always be of same color. I figured that if you want to make all bass patterns red then it's of course logical to stick the color information with the pattern. But if you want to color a part of the song (e.g. intro) and then use those same patterns later with another color, then the current system will not be enough.

Montreal, Canada

Both systems have their merit really but I think that colours per position is much better than colours per pattern because of the way it works. Since Klystrack offers a lot of simultaneous patterns to play, there is very little need for juggling. In almost every klystrack song I've seen, people tend to keep things tidy and in their place. Drums are all on the same channel.. same for bass.. lead.. etc. Very rarely do you see people start juggling instruments across channels to fit it in between other notes because there's no more room for patterns.

So accordingly, there's less of a need to identify that "all bass patterns are red" since all bass patterns are probably all going to be on the same channel anyways. When you track you develop certain habits like always using channel 02 for bass, or whatever. People already know where the bass patterns are "vertically" in the sequencer.

I think most people would rather be able to section off intro, verse, solo, outro etc in the sequencer instead.

Also, a per-position system can do what a per-pattern system does but not the other way around. If someone wants to make all bass patterns red, he can still do it.

Last edited by n00bstar (Dec 31, 2014 7:12 pm)

One thing I have been thinking is some kind of named markers you can set to song positions. That might be useful for subsongs or timing when playing the songs from some game/demo etc.