vancouver, canada

so, i've gotten a clear DMG case but i'd like to do something about the graphics on the front (game boy logo below the screen, start/select/B/A/etc.). 

basically, i'm not a fan of the burgundy colour (at least for the colour scheme i'm going for), and from what i've read, i have two options:

1) find some way to isolate/stencil the logo from the rest of the case and paint it a different colour.  i'm not sure if there's any good way to do this, short of meticulously stenciling out the graphics and spraypainting through the stencil (which i'm almost guaranteed to botch if i try it myself).  I read about using Krylon X-Metals sprays, but from what i understand, that's only useful if you intend to spray the whole DMG case using the same colour, right?

2) i read somewhere that you can remove the graphics by rubbing sugar on them -- apparently the sugar crystals are abrasive enough to remove the logo but soft enough not to scratch up the underlying case plastic.  i'm hesistant to try this though, since the method sounds a little bit like a troll made it up.

can any of you experience comment on the above methods and/or suggest better ways to accomplish what i'm trying to do?

Last edited by bryface (Apr 26, 2012 11:01 pm)

You can use a Magic eraser and water to remove the text. This won't leave any abrasive marks or scratches. Only works on clear DMGs because of different finish.

Replacing it is difficult. For a stencil, you'd probably want an adhesive vinyl stencil, but the text is far too small for this method. Alternatively you can have a laser cut stencil made, which for obvious reasons won't look as good as an adhesive stencil.

Last edited by Apeshit (Apr 26, 2012 11:12 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

Nitro used acetone to get his text off his clear boys, if I remember his post on GBDev correctly.  Replacement - no idea.

Louisiana

Stenciling, nearly impossible. As apeshit said waaaay to small. Decal personally not a fan they leave an outline you can't get rid of. Stripping it completely definitely possibly, I've heard te same thing about sugar as you, but what apeshit said is honestly the best way to get rid of it. Acetone works but you have to be very very very careful because it will destroy the plastic. A q-tip dipped in like 50-50 water and acetone has worked for me but te magic eraser is cheaper and a lot cleaner look. As for keeping the lettering but changin it's color I just hand paint it with a very small brush. Takes time but your results are over all better than anything else I've tried including decals. Or you can just strip the lettering and paint what you want on it in your own style of letters of you arent worried about making it loom like Nintendo letters.

Removal:  Acetone as mentioned.
Redo:
It's ABS, so a multipurpose screen-printing ink like Nazdar's 9700 series and a 200 to 300 mesh count screen and screen print your replacement.
You could also pad print it.  Ink is aggressive and actually digs into your substrate, where paint sits on top. Two easiest ways to do it.  Notice I said easiest, not cheapest.

Last edited by DSC (Apr 27, 2012 2:49 pm)

vancouver, canada

cool, cool - thanks for the advice everyone, the tips affirm my initial instincts for the most part. 

i think i'll most likely go with the Magic Eraser method and remove the text.  i don't really have any problem with slapping down decals after the fact, btw, so i'll consider that if i change my mind.

i'll post pics of my work when i'm done so that i can subject myself to everyone's scrutiny!

Last edited by bryface (Apr 27, 2012 7:59 pm)

USA

I have recently been thinking about trying to make some type of rubber stamps for the Nintendo GameBoy logo, Select, Start, A, and B buttons.

Personally, I think screen printing would give the best results but it would probably be to expensive and labor intensive.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Apr 28, 2012 5:30 am)