Toronto

So, I've got a cartridge shell from Pokémon Crystal, and I really want to put my bleepbloop cart in there, because the plastic colour from Crystal is my favourite. However, I'll need to put a hole for the USB plug in there. Is there any way to do this (like in the original case the BB cart came in) really neatly? Is there any way to cut the notch so I can use it in a DMG really neatly?

Just looking for some advice. I don't want to cut it until I've got an (almost) sure-fire way of making it look good.

Thanks in advance!

matt's mind

the cases that came with the carts were cut by a cnc machine

the next best thing would be a dremel i think.

Toronto

Ahhh, that explains it all.

Alright. I figured that's what I would be using, but I just wanted to make sure. smile Thanks a lot!

I've heard of success making clean cuts with hot blades.

I use a file, and sometimes do some wet sanding afterwards. This is what I do for my pro sound cuts. It can give a really smooth finish.

I'm pretty sure the bleepbloop shells were also heat bent to fit the USB port in there too...

Apeshit wrote:

I'm pretty sure the bleepbloop shells were also heat bent to fit the USB port in there too...

They were heat bent, it really shows on the case of my bleepbloop <_< it looks globby from the inside.

Toronto

Yeah, the USB part is heat-bent. Thanks, Ape & Bitman. I'm going to wait some more to see if there's any more input before I get to work on this. smile

matt's mind

it matters which era you got your bleepbloop cart in the way the cuts were done.

the earlier ones were entirely cut via cnc, there was no heat process for the usb hole.  i know because i found the place and arranged to have all the cases cut for jose and myself wink  drove them there myself.

he did switch to a heat method later, but it was entirely cnc in the beginning.  a three step process really, first the corner was cut out of the case as a whole, then the parts for the usb were cut out of each half of the case.

i have a whole big box of them leftover if you'd be interested in me getting a nice one out for you?  they are the exact same thing the bleepbloop carts came in, i just got ditched with a box of the cases pre-cut after i stopped carrying the product.

if you want one, or more, just let me know.  you can have as many as you want, at my cost (i can look it up pretty easily), that goes for anyone else really.  i have zero use for them, unless someday someone puts out a flashcart with the same cutouts.

not all of them have the usb port cut out, so i'll have to look through and find a nice one. 

so, if anybody wants any of the bleepbloop-cut cases, PM me!  not a problem, i forgot about them really or would have mentioned earlier...

Louisiana

Cutting with a heated blade works well. Especially if your using a soldering iron with the tip that looks like a xacto knife, aka small razor, and then wet sanding it a little like apeshit said. It works great. If you do go the heated blade route.. Test your cuttin on something you can spare like a plastic coke bottle or a milk jug or something. And learn walhat part of the blade gives you the cleanest cut. As for the sanding all I do is put a little water on the area I'm about to file the use a metal or a card board fingernail file. Use the less grainy side and you get an amazingly smooth finish. You can steal a metal one from you mom or sister or girlfriend.. Or buy a pack of cardboard paper ones for around 4$ probably for a pack of 8. I personally prefer the cardboard ones. I've have issues with the edges of te metal one leaving really bad scratch marks. But for something his small and just edging basically it should work for you. Also for plastic so easy to cut, you cn even use a pocket knife with the blade held over a flame for a few seconds and do it that way and file the edges down for a smooth finish.

Also remember, always cut your hole a little smaller that what you need. You can file it the rest of the way but if its to big...you dun fucked up. Lol and good luck man.

Toronto

Kitsch - that would actually be awesome. :3 I mean, I'm still sort of set on doing a copy of Crystal because of the colour of the plastics, but my current case has a part in the corner where something broke off where i dropped it, so it would be nice to have another. smile thanks a load!

matt's mind

oh.  i should mention then.....

ALL these cases are clear plastic, the slightly grey clear plastic common with GBC games.  the cases are all from the crappy Nsync GBC game, we had found a source back then to buy that game in bulk, it was cheaper to buy the lot for just the cases and toss the packaging, than get just cases in bulk.  strange. 

it was really memorable to see hundreds of nsync games surrounding you.  they were everywhere when a shipment would arrive to me

Toronto

oh man, that is hilarious. yeah, i don't care what they're from. tongue

you should have taken pictures tongue

matt's mind

i did, i have one somewhere of me buried in boxes, i just can't remember where the pics are!  i took a bunch.  i had ~600 boxes at one point.  was insane, and very purple/pink.

i'll post pics if i can track them down...

Toronto

but yeah, shall i just PM you if i think i need a couple?

that photo sounds awesome.

matt's mind

yup, just PM me, a few people already have!  but, like i said, i have a box full of cases left over from this, i just need to calculate them out per case, then they're all yours (and everyone elses)