A gray world of dread

Oi, bringing a sampler to a synth fight is like toting a gun in a MA contest wink

New York City

I love the AD of the Amiga and it packs good bass but it only works with single cycle sine waves or stuff like that. Any proper bass sample is reduced to a pile of noise. It can't do proper sublow, at least never the ones I need of it.

A gray world of dread

Which reminds me, did you get to test that with the exponential semi-squares I posted? I can render them as wav if you want (single cycle or with envelope).

New York City

You know, I been so enthralled by many issues that I totally forgot about making those tests! Should give it a look these days, was supposed to do some work but it got cancelled so I gotta drown unemployment in something fun tongue

Milwaukee, WI
µB wrote:

Oi, bringing a sampler to a synth fight is like toting a gun in a MA contest wink

wink

I was thinking AHX or Musicline. A triangle wave is a triangle wave regardless of the machine it's produced on, right?

Geneva, NY

Bass is in the butt of the beholder.

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

C64 has the meanest bass. I know, it's not a console, but...

Your choice is totally valid, I did say computer or console. smile

New York City
RG wrote:

I was thinking AHX or Musicline. A triangle wave is a triangle wave regardless of the machine it's produced on, right?

Well, no, it depends, since there are different methods to produce it, and then you pass it by an 8-bit DAC... in this case I have to say, it's detrimental to the case of the Amiga: it ends up sounding like shit if it exceeds one or two cycles.

But when you do cycle ones you are limited by the frequency response... It's a tough one every time I try to get decent bass on my Amiga.

Godzilladelph
µB wrote:

Hm, OPL can pump out a mean bass. FM is kinda neat that way, because you get those rich harmonics on your waveform. Filtered SID can make some cool square basses (again because of modulation, in this case PWM).

Hell yeah, just fyi, all moon tone basslines are fm

Godzilladelph

Also, the genesis does get some raw fucking bass. otherwise i love sid bass.

and if you can't have either, wav channel does good stuff too

Unsubscribe

Sidbass sounds cool but it isnt SUPER BASSY to me. FM Sub Sine for wins always.

Chicago IL
herr_prof wrote:

Sidbass sounds cool but it isnt SUPER BASSY to me. FM Sub Sine for wins always.

yeah, you can get some nice growly bass sounds, but it doesn't have a ton of low-end

personally, i think you can get some really nice low end out of the game boy's WAV channel

Last edited by Saskrotch (May 8, 2012 8:20 pm)

Milwaukee, WI
akira^8GB wrote:
RG wrote:

Well, no, it depends, since there are different methods to produce it, and then you pass it by an 8-bit DAC... in this case I have to say, it's detrimental to the case of the Amiga: it ends up sounding like shit if it exceeds one or two cycles.

But when you do cycle ones you are limited by the frequency response... It's a tough one every time I try to get decent bass on my Amiga.

Damn son! Thanks Akira!

Tacoma, WA

orange county, CA
Vellain wrote:

Just died. Hahahaha.

New York City
RG wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

Damn son! Thanks Akira!

Uhm, I didn't get the irony... xD