Did any games make use of it?

Last edited by Stevens (May 10, 2012 8:55 pm)

8bitweapon wrote:

It would be great to make a cart with a SID chip on the board. Then run the 3 channels of SID audio out the 1 line to the DMG, with LSDJ running all 7 channels! FRANKENCHIP!

It's time to give NeX a call ;D

sweden
justinthursday wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

i wonder if the gameboy's cpu is powerful enough to play all that music at once.

CGB might.

But it lacks the VIN input.

Savannah, Georgia

i find it a bit funny that 20 years after the gameboy's release a bunch of nerdy musicians are talking about expanding its technical capability

Last edited by Aeros (May 10, 2012 9:29 pm)

Los Angeles
8bitweapon wrote:

It would be great to make a cart with a SID chip on the board. Then run the 3 channels of SID audio out the 1 line to the DMG, with LSDJ running all 7 channels! FRANKENCHIP!

omg i would rip the mos chip right out of my sidstation in a heartbeat if this was possible.

Milwaukee, WI
BlakePalmer wrote:

modified dmg with super gameboy cpu might work too

Nein.  Same as DMG CPU - without load screen.

Last edited by BlakePalmer (Mar 20, 2018 10:46 pm)

If memory serves there was some sort of Japanese title that had (I think it was) a microphone which was part of the game. Not quite sure, but I do remember seeing it on a Gameboy blog once.

e.s.c. wrote:

Yeah,  nanoloop 1.5 used it

I wish I could still get a Nanoloop 1.5 cart. I heard the extra channel was nothing to write home about, but I would have still liked to check it out.

nordloef wrote:
8bitweapon wrote:

It wold be great to make a cart with a SID chip on the board. Then run the SID audio out the 1 line to the DMG, with LSDJ running 7 channels! FRANKENCHIP!

This has been my cream dream since i heard about the vin input.

No one has attempted to do this yet?

Chicago IL
disassembler wrote:
nordloef wrote:

This has been my cream dream since i heard about the vin input.

i heard about someone putting an atari chip in a casio, not sure about this though

Riverside, CA
8bitweapon wrote:

Godzilladelph
8bitweapon wrote:

Oh dear god this \m/

The question is, how would you control the SID chip via gameboy?

Last edited by SKGB (May 11, 2012 9:14 am)

Sweeeeeeden

Same way as you control it from a C64's 6502, you map some address space to it. A couple of problems, however. You need a +9V or +12V supply (depending on the SID chip type.) The SID chip is rather bulky and couldn't fit comfortably in either the Gameboy or a cartridge. The voltage range on this input is rather small, and the SID signal could easily get distorted.
What would be more realistic is probably to use a SN76489 or similar simple and small chip.

Whitley Bay, England
Saskrotch wrote:
disassembler wrote:

i heard about someone putting an atari chip in a casio, not sure about this though

hahshgfsahdsfs

Sweden
nickmaynard wrote:
8bitweapon wrote:

i wonder if the gameboy's cpu is powerful enough to play all that music at once.

It depends on the playback driver, of course, but in short: it definitely is.

My additional chip vote goes to YM2413 smile