Sydney, NSW
boomlinde wrote:

My additional chip vote goes to YM2413 smile

This, all the way

San Angelo, TX
disassembler wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

Yeah,  nanoloop 1.5 used it

I wish I could still get a Nanoloop 1.5 cart. I heard the extra channel was nothing to write home about, but I would have still liked to check it out.

I had a 1.5 cart before i gave it to matt.
Its alright, not really my cup of tea haha

Boston, MA
boomlinde wrote:

My additional chip vote goes to YM2413 smile

Sweeeeeeden

Well, if anyone has a YM2413 that they can donate to me for science, let me know.

Tokyo, Japan

It is a bit of a different beast but I have a YM216 you can experiment with if it would help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2164

Last edited by Lazerbeat (May 11, 2012 3:17 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

Thanks for the offer Lazerbeat, but the YM2164 is less suitable for this than the YM2413 because of its size, and also because requires an additional external digital to analog converter chip. So it wouldn't be practical, if even possible to fit everything needed inside a DMG. YM2413 is smaller (even if more limited) but has everything built in.

West Yorks, UK

that YM2164 would be even better imo!

Why not go the whole hog and stick an OPL3/4? tongue Size issues?

Edit: Yep. Beat me to it ^^

Last edited by Domu (May 11, 2012 3:39 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

is there really any limit on the size of a gameboy cartridge?

Abandoned on Fire
nitro2k01 wrote:

Thanks for the offer Lazerbeat, but the YM2164 is less suitable for this than the YM2413 because of its size, and also because requires an additional external digital to analog converter chip. So it wouldn't be practical, if even possible to fit everything needed inside a DMG. YM2413 is smaller (even if more limited) but has everything built in.

I'll gladly snag some off eBay and have them sent to you if you think this project could actually go somewhere.  PM your shipping info etc if you're interested.  smile

EDIT:  Here's 10 for $38, sounds good to me:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-YM2413-DI … 4165ac3ec4

Last edited by egr (May 11, 2012 3:51 pm)

Boston, MA
egr wrote:

I'll gladly snag some off eBay and have them sent to you

Sweeeeeeden

I can't guarantee that I will have this working overnight if I was sent a chip, but I do have a theory for how to make it work. (For those who may be interested, it involves using the echo RAM space as register space for the sound chip.)

ant1: Depends on whether you want mold your own cases. Also, there's a slight difficulty using through hole chips in a GB cartridge since the PCB normally lies flush against the bottom of the cartridge case, but a through hole component take some extra space under the board for the chip legs and the solder. You could get around this in various ways, but extra work.

Abandoned on Fire
nitro2k01 wrote:

I can't guarantee that I will have this working overnight if I was sent a chip...

Ha, it would be crazy to expect it!  I just want this idea to be explored since you seem to have a starting point in mind.

I want the extension that helps me make better music.

Tokyo, Japan
nitro2k01 wrote:

It looks like egr might well have you covered but if you get stuck, is the chip similar to the VRC7?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Man … oller#VRC7

If it is, I can probably rustle up a copy of Lagrange point or two?

Los Angeles

oh shit what has begun here!

Is it possible to stuff a SID chip in the GB? dreams come true! ;D

Thanks for even trying this idea nitro!