Godzilladelph

Ok. So I've decided for many reasons I need to invest in a tablet soon. I've also decided that if I do, I also want to invest in a serious music program for sketching ideas on the fly. Now, the vast majority of music programs (apps I guess the cool kids call them nowadays) I've seen for ipad / android / whatever look like fucking toys. I'd like something as close to a daw / tracker as possible, with the ability to export out sound at proper 44100 / 48000hz and .mid files of my work.

What are you guys suggestions for a tablet / music program combo?

bonus points if i can use a physical keyboard type jawn with it!

buffalo, NY

get a netbook and reaper.  Tablets are specialized toys.  A netbook is whatever you need it to be.

L0O3, C0rnw4//.

I saw you can get an esx1 program for the ipad, but man i still use a fucking IBMstinkpad hahaha, and agree... those tablets look like Wii's for grown'd ups...

Poland, Gdansk

Nanostudio for ios - http://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/download.php

You can check it on a PC/Mac before buying it

EDIT: Beatmaker 2, Sunvox, iMS-20 and nanoloop are also worth checking out ;p

Last edited by scannerboy (May 12, 2012 10:37 pm)

Riverside, CA
danimal cannon wrote:

get a netbook and reaper.  Tablets are specialized toys.  A netbook is whatever you need it to be.

This is almost identical to what I was about to type.
Netbook > tablet
If you need a touchscreen get a tablet PC.

L0O3, C0rnw4//.

I don't get the hype with touch screen 90% of the ones i have used have been shit/more effort than buttons.... I guess I must not have a soul or something.

Godzilladelph

thanks for the suggestions, guys!
well, judge me as you please, but i def need a tablet. Looking at the Lenovo ideapad a1 atm.
ipad was considered, then thrown out when I realized you have to sync everything through itunes, and when i considered that it's like yet another piece of apple gear in the sense that when it breaks, you can't fix it without coughing up ungodly amounts of money.

thoughts? nanoloop is a definite, still looking for more apps. My ideal app would be a digital audio workstation that runs on gingerbread

Last edited by SKGB (May 12, 2012 10:46 pm)

buffalo, NY

netbooks definitely have the best apps dude.

Godzilladelph

kthnx

uhajdafdfdfa

sunvox is a pretty powerful tracker i wouldn't call it a TOY

have you heard nightradio's songs he made with it -~- they are incredible

edit: no midi files though i think.

Last edited by ant1 (May 14, 2012 8:43 pm)

Philly, PA, USA

realistically android tablets don't have the optimization you'd want for real music production, not to mention the atrocious lack of apps, if you actually want to do serious music production on a tablet the only real option is an iPad.

BOSTON
pixls wrote:

realistically android tablets don't have the optimization you'd want for real music production, not to mention the atrocious lack of apps, if you actually want to do serious music production on a tablet the only real option is an iPad.

this, unfortunately. i would love to have cheaper/competing/not fucking apple music tablet options, but for some wacky reason, android processes sound files in a way that makes it impossible NOT to lag, and google is completely ignoring developers begging them to change it. so until thats fixed, android is a music wasteland (much like G+)

that said... the iPad fucking RULES and the music production possibilities are huge. anybody that says otherwise doesnt know what they are talking about and i dont mind saying that. it will likely never "replace" classic DAW stuff and clearly it wont do exactly the same things as a PC, but the synth apps out there right now are completely UN REAL for the price you pay. think of a badass polysynth built by Moog with multitouch wave-form sound control and high-quality onboard sampling and effects, linked through muti-app routing to an MPC interface with gigs of samples, controlled by a MIDI arpeggiator then AGAIN routed to a monome / jazzmutant-style controller. and you can just swipe through all of them instantly. then record it all using your onboard DAW, mix it in there and then its got cloud-based publishing so you just drop it on soundcloud... and all that cost you like a few bucks.

if you MUST go tablet, iPad for the apps

Turku, FIN
an0va wrote:

Bristol

i use Genome Midi Sequencer for the iPad as a controller for my whole setup. It might not be for everyone, but I loves it I does.

Godzilladelph
pixls wrote:

an0va wrote:

I've thought about this, but I really just don't feel like dealing with Apple's all black box everything bullshit. I plan on having this thing for a while, and not being able to fix it myself is going to seriously fuck with my life. I also like being able to multitask. Besides, I have seen some decent apps out there, and I'm sure there's more. Gonna keep looking.

ultraturducken wrote:

samsung galaxy tab 7 is $150 right now. great simple tablet. good deal considering what it goes for on ebay -- worst case scenario you sell it for a profit.
root it, slap on a custom os, load up some production/synthesis apps and you're good to go on the cheap.

i just grabbed one and i'm psyched to use nanoloop mobile on such a big screen!

nice!