Sweeeeeeden

Lazerbeat, once again I must politely decline the offer. For one, I think the VRC7 is too big to fit a DMG. But I would also feel bad about butchering rare (?) game cartridges. If this is done, at least they should be placed in NES flash cartridges. And/or use Tiny Toon Adventures 2, which apparently doesn't use the sound functionality in VRC7.

Sweeeeeeden
Frostbyte wrote:

Is it possible to stuff a SID chip in the GB? dreams come true! ;D

Thanks for even trying this idea nitro!

Nah, what I'm talking about at this point is an FM chip that's small in size. This wouldn't quite be a SID, but still a new flavor compared to the boring regular Gameboy sound channels.
But in general, the SID chip can be interfaced by "any" CPU. (Assuming the CPU is using +5V logic and is not faster than the SID can handle.) In the early days, before the C64's success, the SID was marketed to external companies as a general purpose sound chip, but apparently that was never very successful. I'm guessing MOS Technology (by this time owned by Commodore) later stopped trying to sell it to 3rd parties to keep the competitive edge of the C64.

Milwaukee, WI

I'm quite attached to the Yamaha YM3526.  Not quite sure if it would fit?  It would be handy if there was a list of SMD packaged FM chips.  wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM3526

Riverside, CA

An FM chip in a game boy would be so amazing.
I can just imagine the wubs....

Seattle, WA US

I'm getting a boner just thinking about this

Sydney, NSW

holds head

screams

This could be fucking amazing if someone can get around to developing a cart and software for it. I'd be wayyyy more than happy to pay whatever it costs to buy one.
You could get some really nice sounds going on with both soundchips going at once! My only gripe is that the power and memory/processing requirements would be out of the DMG's league.

But nonetheless

yeah

yEH

hhh

UK

Last edited by firebrandboy (May 12, 2012 9:07 am)

Los Angeles

Who will write a new tracker for the frankenchip cart?

Last edited by 8bitweapon (May 12, 2012 3:30 pm)

Texas

I would like to express my interest in this. My vote is for an FM chip, oh man this would be so amazing.

Sydney, NSW
8bitweapon wrote:

Who will write a new tracker for the frankenchip cart?

Yo. I'll give it a go if anybody else is... I don't think I could tackle this alone!

uhajdafdfdfa

jose torres OPL3 Gameboy REBORN

this is a cool idea. nitro2k01 is the man for the job What A (gameboy) Genius

Brazil

When I got to this thread I was "meh".

But then things got serious. And I'm pretty excited to hear news about this. Gameboy FM music? OMG.

Czech Republic

Let this be done.

Abandoned on Fire

After reading over the Wikipedia page on that chip it really does seem like the perfect candidate.  Tiny, just enough features to be useful, has a DAC already in it.  \o/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2413

Stevens wrote:

Did any games make use of it?

?

could this chip also act as a sampler?