Chicago IL
Kokoro wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

Yeah either you picked a really bad example track from that album or you're right

Sincerely don't mean to sound snide, but did you listen to the entire song?

yeah. there's like a tiny little bridge section that's ALMOST dubstep, but isn't.

Atlanta
boomglitch wrote:
N6JLV wrote:

me being part of the newer generation of kids and electronic music, enjoy dubstep. now i am aware that a lot of you on here aren't exactly into this type of electronic music, but im not here to start any flame wars big_smile i just want to know if anyone knows of and or is a good chipstep artist that i can look into and follow and become a fan of and eventually stock them and be the creepiest person i can be 0_0

chipstep?

why?

people like bass and if a gameboy is involved they're gonna throw "chip" in there somehow. Although applying that logic to any other synth would be like...KeyboardStep....ComputerStep...s'pretty convoluted

Seattle, WA US
boomglitch wrote:
N6JLV wrote:

me being part of the newer generation of kids and electronic music, enjoy dubstep. now i am aware that a lot of you on here aren't exactly into this type of electronic music, but im not here to start any flame wars big_smile i just want to know if anyone knows of and or is a good chipstep artist that i can look into and follow and become a fan of and eventually stock them and be the creepiest person i can be 0_0

chipstep?

why?

It sounds different than traditional dubstep based on the limitations of the sound chip. If you showed it to somebody who didn't know it was made on/played off of a Gameboy or NES and called it dubstep, chances are they would think it was shitty.

Calling it chipstep leads to the question of "what the fuck is chipstep?" which then opens the door to the explanation behind it.

I guess we could all go with "Dubstep composed upon an 8bit processor" but that sounds a bit wordy, don't you think?

Subterrestrial wrote:
Girl Posse wrote:

haha, are dubstep guys real defensive about their craft?

Well, this is probably another thread for another time but the rise in popularity of so called "brostep" and it's subsequent perception by the general public as being dubstep kind of has us all on edge.

i like to think of "brostep" as a separate category of music all together. although i do enjoy that sound to (maybe even more than dubstep)

pixls wrote:

dubstep is more about a rhythm than anything else, people just associate it with the wubs,

Couldn't have possibly said it better myself!

this is one of my pet peeves, when people assume dubstep is all about the "wub". it does have a big part in alot of dubstep songs but some, i might even go as far as to say most, dont really even have a "wub" to them at all. but like you said, another thread, another day.

boaconstructor wrote:
boomglitch wrote:

chipstep?

why?

It sounds different than traditional dubstep based on the limitations of the sound chip. If you showed it to somebody who didn't know it was made on/played off of a Gameboy or NES and called it dubstep, chances are they would think it was shitty.

Calling it chipstep leads to the question of "what the fuck is chipstep?" which then opens the door to the explanation behind it.

I guess we could all go with "Dubstep composed upon an 8bit processor" but that sounds a bit wordy, don't you think?

thats why earlier in the thread i mentioned that calling it chipstep is way simpler to use. when i share chip music with my friends (the newer generation skrillex and Deadmau5 listeners) they tend to think its nuts that a NES or a Gameboy can produce such a sound, and half of them continue to listen and explore chip music just for the novelty of knowing it was made on old school hardware and not a MacBook. that being said theres still those trolls who go one about "why would anyone do that?" and "thats dumb". thats where i end the friendship.

P.S. haters gonna hate but Skrillex is pretty freakin great. and so is Deadmau5

Atlanta

I agree the first time I heard Knife City's Slam Dunk Lifestyle I was like "Whoa....you can DO that with LSDJ? I gotta try this"

Indiana
N6JLV wrote:
boaconstructor wrote:

thats why earlier in the thread i mentioned that calling it chipstep is way simpler to use. when i share chip music with my friends (the newer generation skrillex and Deadmau5 listeners) they tend to think its nuts that a NES or a Gameboy can produce such a sound, and half of them continue to listen and explore chip music just for the novelty of knowing it was made on old school hardware and not a MacBook. that being said theres still those trolls who go one about "why would anyone do that?" and "thats dumb". thats where i end the friendship.

P.S. haters gonna hate but Skrillex is pretty freakin great. and so is Deadmau5

http://youtu.be/uS78f4WUbXs

Philly, PA, USA
Frostbyte wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

Yeah either you picked a really bad example track from that album or you're right

Yeah, I don't really know why he picked dreaming.

here's one

that's also not really remotely dubstep

http://kodek.bandcamp.com/track/filthya … n75-6-00am this is chipstep.

Germany/Florida
Vegasdiamond wrote:

back when 8bc was up I found a nice track by a guy called byzanite, it was called rubberdub rae and it came pretty close to what i'd call dubstep on a gameboy setup.

you can of course make chip-influenced dubstep on a pc with plugins but I think making what most people would consider dubstep on like 8-bit or 16-bit hardware would be pretty hard with all those drops and hard filtering.

Yeah Byzanite does do chipstep. He covered Flux Pavilion's "bass cannon" and he did numbers called "insomniac" and "washout" which are strictly chipstep.

NNNNNNNNNN has 2 really great chipstep tracks out. "Wank Harder" and "Fuck Yeah"

Tetrasaurus wrote:

NNNNNNNNNN has 2 really great chipstep tracks out. "Wank Harder" and "Fuck Yeah"

Yea these where mentioned earlier, downloaded and set to repeat already tongue

Thank you all for this replys! My iPod is about full now, gotta delete some of these stupid apps.

Tacoma, WA

I am pretty sure I saw someone mention "Knife City"..... yeah, Knife City doesn't do Chipstep, he made his own genre called Knifestep... damn, I wish you could find it now but it was on 8bc when it went down. He had a really great song named Knifestep. It was such a beast song and could really help me elaborate my point, I wish I could find it somewhere that wasn't a torrent. Oh well.... but yeah, he is a f***ing beat beast so I would check him out.

EDIT: found out he renamed the song to "Slam Dunk Lifestyle"... such a sweet jam.

Last edited by Vellain (May 17, 2012 5:42 am)

Vellain wrote:

I am pretty sure I saw someone mention "Knife City"..... yeah, Knife City doesn't do Chipstep, he made his own genre called Knifestep... damn, I wish you could find it now but it was on 8bc when it went down. He had a really great song named Knifestep. It was such a beast song and could really help me elaborate my point, I wish I could find it somewhere that wasn't a torrent. Oh well.... but yeah, he is a f***ing beat beast so I would check him out.

I got his EP off of 8bitpeoples.org and it's what REALLY got me into chip music, before it was just something I had on my iPod that came up on shuffle here and there

Last edited by N6JLV (May 17, 2012 5:42 am)

England

hang on are electro-trance songs that contain a half time breakdown chipstep?

at least l-tron mentioned kraettz

Last edited by Jellica (May 17, 2012 8:25 am)

sweden

What would one call 2step made on chip hardware? Seems like chipstep is already taken, but 2-step came first. New genre names often makes me cringe and this is no exception.

/rant

I was just thinking the same thing, nordloef. smile

Guitarstep

orange county, CA

Knife city. That is all.

Also, i have a few dubstep stuff coming out.
And a few dubstep breakdowns on my latest ep.

datafix.bandcamp.com