Indiana

this is what I'd consider one of my first real attempts at composing something in LSDJ

I'm looking for advice on instrumentation and effects and just some advanced LSDJ advice from the pros.

anything helps feel free to rip me a new one

http://chipmusic.org/boomglitch/music/too-late

also looking for advice on how to record/what I should record with.

Last edited by boomglitch (May 25, 2012 10:22 pm)

Chicago IL

you definitely need to record from the headphone jack.

Indiana
Saskrotch wrote:

you definitely need to record from the headphone jack.

that's all I have actually haha

Chicago IL

Well if you're serious about this, you need to get a 1/8" cable so you can record into a computer. it's hard to really tell what's going on in this.

NC in the US of America

Edit:
Ah... is this what recording from the headphones jack sounds like without the pro-audio mod? Oh, scratch that.

It has a very militaristic sound. It sounds like you are aiming for a higher compositional quality than what you're yet capable of. That's not a bad thing.

Your bass and snare sound really tight. I really like them. That arpeggioey thing at the :50 mark could use some kind of volume sweeping, because it's kind of loud and over-powering.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 25, 2012 11:07 pm)

Indiana
Saskrotch wrote:

Well if you're serious about this, you need to get a 1/8" cable so you can record into a computer. it's hard to really tell what's going on in this.

that's how I'm recording it now. I just sounds really scratchy for some reason. if you have any tips on how to fix that I'd be happy to hear them!

also I think my cable is pretty shit

SketchMan3 wrote:

Edit:
Ah... is this what recording from the headphones jack sounds like without the pro-audio mod? Oh, scratch that.

It has a very militaristic sound. It sounds like you are aiming for a higher compositional quality than what you're yet capable of. That's not a bad thing.

Your bass and snare sound really tight. I really like them. That arpeggioey thing at the :50 mark could use some kind of volume sweeping, because it's kind of loud and over-powering.

any advice on how to accomplish volume sweeps?

would I just use the E command?

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Soundcard problem? I have that with one of my computers.

Indiana
Auxcide wrote:

Soundcard problem? I have that with one of my computers.

that could be the issue as well

I'm recording on a shitty acer laptop.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Ah. I'd try someone else's computer. I had the same problem, I thought my gameboy was screwed up or something.

Currently all my recording has to be on someone else's.

Last edited by Auxcide (May 26, 2012 12:45 am)

Portland

yeah this used to happen with my laptop.
I recommend a usb soundcard, works wonders.

NC in the US of America
boomglitch wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

that's how I'm recording it now. I just sounds really scratchy for some reason. if you have any tips on how to fix that I'd be happy to hear them!

SketchMan3 wrote:

Edit:

Yeah, you could use E. That's probably the easiest way unless you have other effects going. Also, changing the shape of the instrument (e.g. from 25% to 12.5%) has a perceived volume change. Experiment. It's just my personal preference, but I like when rollercoaster melodies fade in and out. I actually just did that with a tune i was working on today, which is why I suggested it.

Take it all with a grain of salt, of course.

I think you should try to figure out what the recording problem is, but also use it to your advantage! Mix it with a clear signal or something. It's a cool effect somehow. Sound a bit autechre-ish.

Sometimes you have to embrace little accidents like this smile

Indiana
SketchMan3 wrote:
boomglitch wrote:

Yeah, you could use E. That's probably the easiest way unless you have other effects going. Also, changing the shape of the instrument (e.g. from 25% to 12.5%) has a perceived volume change. Experiment. It's just my personal preference, but I like when rollercoaster melodies fade in and out. I actually just did that with a tune i was working on today, which is why I suggested it.

Take it all with a grain of salt, of course.

thanks for the tips man.

I posted a new song,

kinda worked out some of the recording kinks.

I think there may have just been too much low end on the other track.

because on this one it only starts to get muffled and faded on the when it hits the lows.

I also ordered a usb external interface so hopefully that takes care of the problem

Dos wrote:

yeah this used to happen with my laptop.
I recommend a usb soundcard, works wonders.

Recommend that.
Your song can be the bomb, but if the Audio (and sometimes the PreWork with it) lags qualitiy in the recording you're fck'd.
Nobody want's crappy recorded sounds nowadays, it would be a excuse in 1980 or so.
Try to get the Audio right, first of all check if your Laptop is the Probelm and try recording at someone elses PC or Laptop. Like said the soundcard can be a problem, i got the issue in the beginning also.
That's why i'm using this:

A LSDJ REC. Box. Or to be honest it's just a Box that came with my Dual Vinyl Player to digitizing the vinyls. But it works, i just had to set up some things in Audiacity so it records right from this thingy and the results are good as they should always be.

Overall, get rid of recording issues and start to be a musician.

Melbourne, AU
boomglitch wrote:

I posted a new song,

kinda worked out some of the recording kinks.

I think there may have just been too much low end on the other track.

because on this one it only starts to get muffled and faded on the when it hits the lows.

I also ordered a usb external interface so hopefully that takes care of the problem

It sounds like it's been recorded through a telephone cable. Very 56k.

Indiana

I've got the recording issue for quality delt with to a point.

but now I'm having this problem where everything recorded through the DMG comes out in mono.

the program I'm recording in is set to record in stereo, and if I just clap into the mic, or play the dmg unplugged it'll record stereo.

but not if the DMG is plugged in.

example

http://chipmusic.org/boomglitch/music/mp3

Last edited by boomglitch (Jun 6, 2012 6:03 pm)