Vile wrote:

Youtube has some video tutorials on how to create music in LSDJ but I've found it has a huge learning curve. The best thing I would suggest is downloading a tracker program (like fami, piggy or goat) and try learning on that first. Goattracker has a nice, PDF format, basic guide to help you get started with it. Once you've gotten the hang of a tracker on your PC/Mac it starts to get much easier on LSDJ.

thanks for the goattracker tip! :]

Solarbear wrote:

Okay okay okay, now that we've established that we all have our heads up our own ass...

...Musical theory is going to be very much the same on LSDJ, guitar, piano or any other instrument, as far as notation is concerned. First thing is first. Learn about Major and Minor keys. If you learn nothing else, that will be enough.

Now, as you do some research on lsdj and other forms of chiptune, you'll find that limited hardware will prevent you from actually forming chords. So, you'll have to find ways to deceive your listeners.

I'm not going to go into the details here, and just fyi, the reason a lot of these guys are giving you sarcastic remarks is that the info is pretty readily available if you do a quick forum search or look up some very basic lsdj tutorials... which you should do, actually.

Anyway, though, good luck and remember, practice is key!

and thanks for searching for the word tutorial and not being an asshat it's appreciated big_smile

Chicago IL
blackchip wrote:

I should have probably elaborated better,

I was trying to ask basically for help with integrating theory with LSDJ,

I understand scales and basic chord progressions,

but I'm not sure how to implement them in LSDJ.

so basically you're looking for an LSDJ tutorial, and not music theory at all

Saskrotch wrote:
blackchip wrote:

I should have probably elaborated better,

I was trying to ask basically for help with integrating theory with LSDJ,

I understand scales and basic chord progressions,

but I'm not sure how to implement them in LSDJ.

so basically you're looking for an LSDJ tutorial, and not music theory at all

my English is very bad,

my friend just came over to type for me.

Detroit, MI
basspuddle wrote:

You're on your own, I use nanoloop haha

Word.

matt's mind

i think maybe a 'fundamentals of chipmusic' manual something might be what you need.  if anyone knows a good place for this.  it would address the issues of chords and such.  a lot of applying musical knowledge to this stuff means learning about the limitations of the hardware and either working around them (arps for example), or embracing them for what they are.  there are a lot of compositional methods, you'll always be met with the same hardware limits though.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Use 2 gameboys or embrace arps.

Tulsa, OK
basspuddle wrote:

You're on your own, I use nanoloop haha

Nanoloop is easier
and before anyone tells me that is just an opinion, which it is; ask yourself if you can honestly say that it isnt

for me, it is easier to transfer ideas from guitar and piano to NL, making it easier to apply theory... if that is still relevant in this thread

YOUR MOM!

I've never understood what the fuck I was doing in nanoloop.

LSDJ was always easier for me.

California

Nanoloop's good for getting down ideas, but IME I've found it's hard to write an actual song out of it if you're not doing dance music or other more-loop-based genres.

But as for applying music theory to LSDJ, I'd say the best thing to do is to experiment. Just watch some tutorials to get used to the interface and everything, but once you've got a handle on the interface and most of the functions just play around with it and see what happens. Try all the commands, test out as many things as you can find and see what they do. It takes time, but once you get it it becomes really easy.

(btw chords or should I say arpeggios are made either with tables or the C command, it makes the channel flip through different notes really quickly so it sounds like they're playing together when it's really only one note at a time)

Gosford, Australia

music theory will help you to understand the relationships between notes, chords, scales etc.

but in the end it won't really help you to write good music

Last edited by Victory Road (Jun 5, 2012 10:24 am)

clovis CA

whole whole half whole whole whole half. thatll give you a major scale. i have TONS of notes left from music theory, for lsdj, just use the manual, or eff with it for days straight. send me an email and ill send you the the notes mang

Seriously? Notes about major and minor? Aeros is right, if he needed that he could just search Google. In fact, say screw it because anyone can make music without theory. Just use some sense. But he says he already knows some music theory like scales and basic chord progression so he wouldn't need your notes anyway.

clovis CA

more than just major and minor scales. i know hoping into music is intimidating for few, just trying to help a lad out

Alley Beach wrote:

more than just major and minor scales. i know hoping into music is intimidating for few, just trying to help a lad out

Not arguing with you there wink

rochester, ny

if you asked a more specific question, you'd get more helpful replies!