Tokyo, Japan

Seems there is a split between people who want a curated list of good/popular/liked tracks and people who dont.

For the people who do want such a list, why not step up and start a "weekly best of cm.o" thread with a rotating curator? See how that works out?

Madison, Alabama
herr_prof wrote:

I don't think there is any drama in this thread. People aren't coming to consensus, but its mostly a decent conversation.  Just because I think you are wrong doesn't mean I think you are a bad person or anything.

There's real human drama in this thread.  Go back and read it again.  Egos and strife and longing and disappointment.  Real drama as opposed to manufactured flame-drama.  Human emotions. 

I didn't say it was a bad conversation or that anyone was a bad person either.

Madison, Alabama

But anyway, here's a real post:

I like the idea of some rating system.  It gives newcomers something to strive for, especially if they are geographically remote and unable to participate in a physical chipmusic scene.  And especially if they are not fond of posting often (or if they are like me and apparently always post the wrong thing).

A rating system may help people making quality music who cannot participate in the scene otherwise (via frequent message board interaction or live shows) to get more recognition.  It would also benefit those who never compile release but merely release a trickle of fantastic individual tracks.

I do not have a suggestion for a satisfactory method of implementing this, but I think the overall scene may benefit from something like that.

Unsubscribe

Some kind of music discovery system would be badass. Considering that huge companies where people are getting paid to develop it for years and years and they still kinda suck may mean that its beyond the abilities of our friendly volunteer dev community.

I am totally against any sort of rating, grading, points or whatever system. The internet has proven time and time again it cannot handle this sort of focused famehunt, and its way too easy to be the target of trolling, e-meltdowns and bad feelings. To me chipmusic.org is an enthusiasts website to discuss the creation, performance, r+d ends of the scene, etc and meeting like minded people.

The minute you start cherry picking people as being better using some arbitrary system (the QFS at its best, elitism at its worse) or some fake democratic method (that's going to be gamed by by people using the methods stated before or even just by people who got nothing better to do than camp online and endlessly debate) you are going to get hurt feelings and people who either feel left out, or feel they need to endlessly play the "emperor has no clothes" card and point out that someone is only popular here because they have friends.

I know to a lot of you youngsters that cm.o seems old and cranky, but please remember that lots of the people who started this community and post here have lived both sides of the results of the discussions about stuff like this, and talked about it, over and over for the last 3,5,9,15 years.

Newcomers should strive for personal satisfaction in their music first and foremost, and worry later what a scene of 500+ chips musicians tops think. CM.o is the not the be all end all springboard to internet fame, and to put that kind of pressure on it inst really fair to anyone.

Last edited by herr_prof (Jun 5, 2012 4:05 am)

Melbourne, Australia

Thank you Peter for once again being the voice of rational, considered reflection on an issue with much history and many past debates.

Further to that, I'd like to add for anyone who wants a curated list of chipmusic that people in "the know" consider worth your attention, just go to the dozen or so awesome exclusively chipmusic record labels. That's kinda their thing.

Chicago IL
herr_prof wrote:

Some kind of music discovery system would be badass. Considering that huge companies where people are getting paid to develop it for years and years and they still kinda suck may mean that its beyond the abilities of our friendly volunteer dev community.

I am totally against any sort of rating, grading, points or whatever system. The internet has proven time and time again it cannot handle this sort of focused famehunt, and its way too easy to be the target of trolling, e-meltdowns and bad feelings. To me chipmusic.org is an enthusiasts website to discuss the creation, performance, r+d ends of the scene, etc and meeting like minded people.

The minute you start cherry picking people as being better using some arbitrary system (the QFS at its best, elitism at its worse) or some fake democratic method (that's going to be gamed by by people using the methods stated before or even just by people who got nothing better to do than camp online and endlessly debate) you are going to get hurt feelings and people who either feel left out, or feel they need to endlessly play the "emperor has no clothes" card and point out that someone is only popular here because they have friends.

I know to a lot of you youngsters that cm.o seems old and cranky, but please remember that lots of the people who started this community and post here have lived both sides of the results of the discussions about stuff like this, and talked about it, over and over for the last 3,5,9,15 years.

Newcomers should strive for personal satisfaction in their music first and foremost, and worry later what a scene of 500+ chips musicians tops think. CM.o is the not the be all end all springboard to internet fame, and to put that kind of pressure on it inst really fair to anyone.

this guy knows what he's talking about

Chicago IL

also does anyone else think it's hilarious that this thread is being taken so seriously even though it's called Popularity Contest?

Melbourne, Australia

Popularity contests are serious... neutral

Also, my Dad is tougher than your Dad.

Chicago IL

buffalo, NY

I really think The Swimm is right, but I do have one caveat.

With the 'popularity contest' people were actually listening and discovering WAY more music.  Yeah, there's a host of drama, bullshit, and god knows what going on, but the focus was on the music.

Maybe it's a problem with my own behavior, but I found myself checking out way more actual songs on 8bc.

Chicago IL

i dunno i thought the top songs were always fighter x or oxygenstar, and everyone knows them already!

shanghai

yes i think people quickly forget the top tunes on 8bc were always pretty predictable and mostly fist pump music. there were occasionally some dope tracks at like number 7 haha i dont know, before 8bc died it was becoming more and more noob infested...like utter shit lsdj music all over the front page...but on the other side im pretty sure 8bc was where i found Little Scale, Jesus Seashell, Sukie, Cats, etc etc.......but i still find good stuff onhere. the releases section is WAY better than the old front page of 8bc for finding music. Sure people release some low rate shit, but on the whole releases are of much better quality as they're worked on harder etc, its very quick to just upload any FL 8 bit shit onto 8bc..........anyhow. no one like change.
This wont happen, i still dont really know what the issue is though inthe original post to start the thread. I mean just listen to the new uploads, listen to people that like minded people follow on soundcloud you havent heard of, thats how i find good new music.
Listening to 'top 3 tracks of teh weeks' on 8bc rarely found you any good music. And also it kind of contradicts the point of finding new music.....
most of the time the tunes that picked up a few likes, quickly had 300 views and the others were skipped over.
i was guilty of that, you kind of click the page that has 300 listens and 40 likes first and ignore the others. If you disagree with that and say 'i didnt, i listened to the unheard stuff'... ...then i really dont see what the problem is with just picking random unheard names you dont know on here, if you want to find new music. PEACE

CHIPTUNE

Someone should connect this thread to the hole that TCTD left....

Algorithmic recommendations is okay, but human-selected materials is usually way more interesting.
This isn't necessarily a topic about code/design. We should just talk more about what we like, maybe? The tools are already there...

Tokyo, Japan

I'm kind of torn between seeing the merits of making it easier to identify the cream in the huge repository of tunes at cm.o while wanting to avoid the hassle/extra work of doing that.

A third party blog/tumbler/podcast seems like a great solution. Those who want to read it can, it isn't a cm.o site so it should keep any drama discrete and it wouldn't be any more work for the admins.

danimal cannon wrote:

I really think The Swimm is right, but I do have one caveat.

With the 'popularity contest' people were actually listening and discovering WAY more music.  Yeah, there's a host of drama, bullshit, and god knows what going on, but the focus was on the music.

Maybe it's a problem with my own behavior, but I found myself checking out way more actual songs on 8bc.

This is exactly my thoughts.

As much as I like the sound of "music discovery system" I'm not sure it would work so well. There just needs to be some sort of DISPLAY. Something showing good songs perhaps with some fair rotation mechanism. I think breakphase and nitro2k1 were more on the right track.

I should probably stop posting now, kind of like I'm sharing my thoughts on a sci-fi novel. You know, because it's not realistic.

Finland
goto80 wrote:

This isn't necessarily a topic about code/design. We should just talk more about what we like, maybe? The tools are already there...

This.