hang on, the front page shows the most popular topics in each forum, including the releases section.  does that mean we're giving one album an unfair advantage by posting in the topic a few more times?  of course not.   why is this different to acknowledging one track is "better" than another or at least more popular than another one?

SKGB wrote:
Je Mappelle wrote:

I know a lot of you are going to hate me for this but I think this site needs one.

Without it, nothing new is going to arise, that's not saying new stuff isn't being made, just that it isn't being pinpointed and shown on the front page.

There is some kind of moral issue when it comes to this subject and a lot of you think it is a bad idea. Why?

The likes system on 8bc at least gave artists a chance to get known whilst some of them perhaps didn't "deserve" it. Either way, it was a fun way to enjoy the website.

Of course it doesn't have to be a likes system. Just something to show you that particular songs are good. You'd probably want it to avoid being LSDJ songs all the time, I remember a lot of people complained about that. Really though, I think people saying stuff like "LSDJ IS the charts mayne" was a bit over rated, there was always variety in the music there.

A display of 12 random songs with blue bubbles that the majority of us don't understand anyway just doesn't cut it for me, sorry.

If you're talking about a "charts" kind of thing, fuck fuck fuck no big_smile

But if you're just talking about something like a system that allows you to "favorite" songs then hell yeah!

Hey I am talking about some sort of chart, why no?

Subconscious jealousy I think is the answer to this thread.

Lexington, KY

This might not be such a big deal if 8bc was still around. I think the chip scene does need a "chart" but, I suppose the better question is "Is chipmusic.org the place to hold such a thing?"

i know that 2xaa's uCollective.org has a top 3 of the week kind of thing, maybe it's more suited to the task?

Je Mappelle wrote:

Haha, also probably this. (I know I've been guilty of it! Haha!)

Last edited by Solarbear (Jun 4, 2012 10:31 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA
Je Mappelle wrote:

Failure to explore and embrace new sounds is the other. There is no magic bullet, just show us something we haven't heard before.

@SolarBear:

I think you're right. After reading some of the reactions maybe chip"music".org isn't the best place for a chipmusic chart. I wonder if it's just the forum user base though, I'm sure a lot of the people that post music here would be into it if it was implemented.

The typical forum members against this thread have always been grumpyboots; even on 8bc.

@chunter:

Right on.

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
Je Mappelle wrote:

The typical forum members against this thread have always been grumpyboots; even on 8bc.

Watchoo chattin', i'm a ray of sunshine.

Unsubscribe
4mat wrote:

hang on, the front page shows the most popular topics in each forum, including the releases section.  does that mean we're giving one album an unfair advantage by posting in the topic a few more times?  of course not.   why is this different to acknowledging one track is "better" than another or at least more popular than another one?

Latest Topics, not most active topics.

Unsubscribe
Je Mappelle wrote:

Lexington, KY
herr_prof wrote:
Je Mappelle wrote:

lolololololololol

herr_prof wrote:
4mat wrote:

Latest Topics, not most active topics.

how come I posted in a 2010 topic and it went to the top of the page?

IL, US

he means it is based off of recent activity in the thread, not necessarily how many total posts

Unsubscribe

Because by doing so your post was enumerated as a "latest post". The front page rewards timeliness, not popularity.

Lexington, KY
e.s.c. wrote:

charts on 8bc lead to tons on flame wars, people creating 30-40 accounts to boost their track to the top....

Haha, was that really a thing? I started chooning right on the tail end of 8bc's existence.

Last edited by Solarbear (Jun 4, 2012 11:23 pm)

IL, US

sadly, yes... charts could have been great, if people behaved... as it was, became yet another thing the staff had to police

Godzilladelph
Je Mappelle wrote:
SKGB wrote:

If you're talking about a "charts" kind of thing, fuck fuck fuck no big_smile

But if you're just talking about something like a system that allows you to "favorite" songs then hell yeah!

Hey I am talking about some sort of chart, why no?

oh ok.
yeah, that's meh hmm

Last edited by SKGB (Jun 4, 2012 11:24 pm)