Bronx, NY
4mat wrote:

why are you all so bothered about track X being rated higher than track Y anyway?

I think people are concerned about the drama that would likely grow from that.

Btw, I think what bryface suggested is pretty much perfect, and the only argument I've seen against it is "Well I personally would not go to people's profiles so I don't like it". Kinda silly.

East Kilbride, Scotland

People actually use the music uploading thing? I'd back getting rid of it. It seems like an unnecessary expense for the people that run the site when artists could be just posting soundcloud links in the releases section.

Godzilladelph
Je Mappelle wrote:

I know a lot of you are going to hate me for this but I think this site needs one.

Without it, nothing new is going to arise, that's not saying new stuff isn't being made, just that it isn't being pinpointed and shown on the front page.

There is some kind of moral issue when it comes to this subject and a lot of you think it is a bad idea. Why?

The likes system on 8bc at least gave artists a chance to get known whilst some of them perhaps didn't "deserve" it. Either way, it was a fun way to enjoy the website.

Of course it doesn't have to be a likes system. Just something to show you that particular songs are good. You'd probably want it to avoid being LSDJ songs all the time, I remember a lot of people complained about that. Really though, I think people saying stuff like "LSDJ IS the charts mayne" was a bit over rated, there was always variety in the music there.

A display of 12 random songs with blue bubbles that the majority of us don't understand anyway just doesn't cut it for me, sorry.

If you're talking about a "charts" kind of thing, fuck fuck fuck no big_smile

But if you're just talking about something like a system that allows you to "favorite" songs then hell yeah!

Chepachet, Rhode Island

The only reason I ever click on an uploaded song is to see whether a particular person ranting in the forums is legit or not if I don't recognize their name after 2 years of being here.

I try way harder than I should to keep all my music organized so downloading random songs from the front page doesn't appeal to me at all. I know I'm not the only one.

I say replace the streamable music on the front page with direct links to the newest albums released. Something simple. Artist, Title, small avatar sized cover art. Put the 5 latest ones up there or something.

Meh

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Jun 4, 2012 7:41 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA
theendreaper wrote:

this gives me the following vibes,

I get the elitist we don't like new comers vibe,

I get the vibe that nobody on this site cares about the music posted on this site,

and I get the vibe nobody cares if the music wasn't made in tracker software.

How about the vibe that people who have casual non-musician fans aren't doing anything to bring those fans here?

chunter wrote:
theendreaper wrote:

this gives me the following vibes,

I get the elitist we don't like new comers vibe,

I get the vibe that nobody on this site cares about the music posted on this site,

and I get the vibe nobody cares if the music wasn't made in tracker software.

How about the vibe that people who have casual non-musician fans aren't doing anything to bring those fans here?

I don't make music but if I did, I would try to bring more traffic to the site if I were posting my music here.

Last edited by theendreaper (Jun 4, 2012 7:59 pm)

Rochester, NY
theendreaper wrote:

nobody on this site cares about music

yeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww

Sweden

I like the idea with the recommendations. Maybe you could subscribe somehow to the recommendations/favorites of a bunch of members you trust to pick good tunes, and the songs they recommended would show up together in a separate list along with the latest on the front page.

IL, US

for the record, totally down with the individual recommendations idea, seems more useful overall, since each user can figure out who has similar/interesting tastes in music and check out what they like

Chicago IL

alright, i'm not reading through 6 pages of this but:

if you're looking for new artists, go through the uploads and click on someone you haven't heard of

i don't get why this is so hard

San Diego, CA

this seems like less of a problem with cm.o as a whole and more of a problem with the Releases section of the board! the recommendations thing is a good idea, but that's because there isn't really a way to organize music by genre or "taste" on here right now...going into the music section of someone's profile requires you to already know what kind of music that person makes, and the posts on the Releases board don't give anyone a chance to sort by style (or anything, for that matter) at all, mostly because it's as much of an advertising board as it is a "new releases" board.

basically, what people here don't want is "voting" as much as they want "sorting." right now it's just a huge morass when it comes to looking for music on this site, and that's what's leading people like Je Mappelle to say that it's hard to find new music suited to their tastes here; it's not that they aren't looking, it's just too difficult to find, and no one realistically has the time to sort through the large amount of music being uploaded here when all that exists to sort that music is tagging. a "vote" is just a really convoluted way to sort music, anyway. I'd definitely be down with the ability to follow people based on tastes/styles, and I don't think we need a voting/charts system to deal with that.

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Jun 4, 2012 9:04 pm)

brooklyn
Sycamore Drive wrote:

People actually use the music uploading thing? I'd back getting rid of it. It seems like an unnecessary expense for the people that run the site when artists could be just posting soundcloud links in the releases section.

I agree with this.  We have soundcloud and bandcamp.  I was unaware people even bother listening to music hosted on here.  Its usually uploaded elsewhere too, anyway.

BOSTON

I get the feeling that people want some sort of curated "best of what's new" list or something to take the work out of finding new music

it's not a bad idea if done well, but probably not something for CM.org to do

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Spacetownsavior: have you seen some of the labels people put on their music? You'll get a lot of "dubstep,chiptune,electronic,asssmack,witchouse,pussypunkrockshityo".

Unsubscribe

Its really important to know if your song is liked by 20 people versus 345 people.

Lexington, KY
George wrote:

FANS.

Can't have a scene that's not entirely about mutual cocksucking without them.

If anything, those votes should count more.

Silly George, no one actually listens to chiptunes.