Abandoned on Fire

CM.O is my favorite sandwich shop where I talk with all the other regulars about cool shit and check the menu for any neat sounding new options.  Sometimes I read all the flyers posted next to the door and see some events or whatever.  Please don't make the place where I munch on chicken gyros and hang out into a voting booth plastered with ads for prime time sitcoms.

/metaphor

IL, US

what, don't you like pokerstars.net? yikes

Abandoned on Fire
e.s.c. wrote:

what, don't you like pokerstars.net? yikes

Not after I found it was just about playing cards... wink

poker? I don't even know her.

vancouver, canada
kitsch wrote:
AndrewKilpatrick wrote:

This is the smartest thing that's been said on this entire thread

it would need to be within the user's actual profile, not a signature and posting that under your PM/EMAIL, etc links wold get cluttered.  signatures for sure aren't happening, pretty sure that was an unanimous call.  not really sure how to do that a clean way except posting it in the user's profile page. 

which people can edit now anyways and add that sort of info.  BB code works there too!

yeah, i wasn't thinking about sigs or anything like that.  but rather, something that doesn't involve a page refresh.   maybe there's an icon or something you can click that's next to every username - either in the "who's online" section or in the left hand profile side of each forum post - which pops up the list of recommendations.

recommendations would need to be a single-click affair, ideally without a page refresh.

there are certainly ways that you _could_ aggregate this data into a "most recommended music" list, but i think this would cause more problems for the community, and it's not all that useful (you tend to find out new music based on the recommendations of the specific artists you care about, anyway).

Sweeeeeeden

So, how should I put this... I'm in the camp that supports there being some form of active rating mechanism. (Likes, 5 star rating or similar.) I think the idea behind the current system is that everyone should have equal opportunity, and preventing favoritism. However, there are two problems. For the listener, if you don't have the time and will to browse through 20 songs, it's practical to have some form of quality screening. And if you're an uploader, some form of reward is an incentive to upload good music. As unfortunate as it is, 90% of music uploaded is going to suck (or at least not blow anyone's mind). A rating system can help bring attention to those other 10%.

I can see certain specific problems with a rating system, which could  be solved with some tweaking of the rules. Sockpuppet accounts: restrict voting to people who have a certain amount of activity in the forums or similar. Favoritism: If a person reaches the top 3, restrict them from reaching top 3 for the next x weeks. And so on. I do think some form of rating system would be good for the site.

IL, US

nitro: of course then we may just be encouraging people to post for the sake of posting enough to get to vote, not actually post meaningfully... this stuff is always tricky to balance

remember how stupid posts got sometimes on 8bc before the post count was removed from view? hmm

Brunswick, GA USA

If change is what you want, start with yourself. Play a genre you don't normally play, look for talent where you don't normally look, and when you find that talent, send them here.

The site will grow to suit.

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

Why don't you hold a vote for/against the idea of vote-based music system and then decide where to go from there, as it's unfair for me to bitch if the majority want it, and vice versa.

this gives me the following vibes,

I get the elitist we don't like new comers vibe,

I get the vibe that nobody on this site cares about the music posted on this site,

and I get the vibe nobody cares if the music wasn't made in tracker software.

IL, US

don't worry, im an old-timer who uses piggy tracker and still no one listens to my music on here wink

Cambridge UK

If this was a popularity contest, the Jellica+4mat track would win.
And then they'd go and make more.
Is this really what we want as a community?
I think not.

Rochester, NY

... fml when I show up late and Nick already said what I was gonna, that we should get rid of the front page/music section

I get most of my new chiptunes from the release section or netlabels

I know I don't listen to any music on the frontpage; maybe I did like, once, when I first joined

Utah

Why am I compelled to keep reading this when I care so little about a rating system? Granted, I had no idea what the current rating system meant when I first got here but I seem to continue to find new, good tunes somehow. That being said, instead of 3-5 favorite songs, I would enjoy seeing someone's current favorite song when hovering the mouse over their avatar. I might even get a feel for which artists have similar tastes to my own.

why are you all so bothered about track X being rated higher than track Y anyway?

Cambridge UK
4mat wrote:

why are you all so bothered about track X being rated higher than track Y anyway?

ePenis.