vancouver, canada

Here's an idea i had kicking around:  instead of having a "likes" system where songs could just rack up points in the form of likes, how about each user has along with their profile a list of 3-5 currently-recommended songs?  if the list is full, a newly-recommended song pushes the least-recently-recommended song off the list.

one might be able to see someone's recommendations easily, just be hovering over their username or something.

pros:
- an intuitive way of sorting through the cruft of new songs
- songs that are recommended by artists are more likely to get their fair listen.
- songs that appear too many times in too many peoples' recommendations list will experience a natural falloff in their popularity over time.
- if an artist has crappy recommendations in his list (either songs that are his/her own, or songs that just absolutely suck) then other users will naturally disregard those recommendations (at least until the artist picks better songs). 
- a natural incentive to hunt for good songs and recommend them
- a natural incentive to ALSO keep your list of recommendations fresh
- a natural incentive to ALSO keep your list of recommendations original from other artists' lists, by recommending otherwise unknown but deserving songs
- if you recommend good songs, it's also more likely that your own music will get listened to more often
- the transient nature of the recommendations list helps to discourage the "popularity contest" aspect of 8bc, as well as attempts to "game the system". 

cons:
- "recommendations" is a very clunky word, how about something with less syllables?

i'm sure there are probably some cons that i haven't thought of, but i have to head to work.  what does everybody else think?

Last edited by bryface (Jun 4, 2012 4:34 pm)

IL, US
ClairBear wrote:
Je Mappelle wrote:

ClairBear: The artist example you used to describe one making a mark would be one that used to chart on 8bc wouldn't it.

Good point should've thought that -_-

except, as i said, cTrix was already known to a great deal of the scene before the charts launched from having been an active member of the demoscene for years

I found out about him through 8bc and I am sure A LOT of other people did.

IL, US

wouldve also known if you paid attention to blip fest lineups (or blip afterparties for that matter)

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
bryface wrote:

how about each user has along with their profile a list of 3-5 currently-recommended songs?

This is the smartest thing that's been said on this entire thread

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Agreed. That seems like a great alternative.

matt's mind
AndrewKilpatrick wrote:
bryface wrote:

how about each user has along with their profile a list of 3-5 currently-recommended songs?

This is the smartest thing that's been said on this entire thread

it would need to be within the user's actual profile, not a signature and posting that under your PM/EMAIL, etc links wold get cluttered.  signatures for sure aren't happening, pretty sure that was an unanimous call.  not really sure how to do that a clean way except posting it in the user's profile page. 

which people can edit now anyways and add that sort of info.  BB code works there too!

I think it's a good idea, but doesn't clench the intention of this thread.

The main con being that it is on the users profile. I don't ever visit other peoples profiles.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

This would give you the incentive to do so, mebbee.

Indiana

every song on the front page now has a five rating.

Chatted with e.s.c. about this on a drunken subway ride in Brooklyn. He really sold me on why chipmusic is the way it is and I can now say that I understand it as an information database for community.

That being said, I still think the music system here is silly. Especially because there still IS a rating system, but for no apparent reason if you can't scale it against other tracks (at least blatantly on front page, but that would turn into 8bc again i think). Since the music section here isn't strongly used for self-promotion and people instead link self-hosted material, I don't really see a reason for me personally to ever upload a song into the system other than for backup hosting or getting minimal feedback from the few people that check out the tracks on the homepage in the first place.  I wonder what the traffic is on viewing new songs here, anyway?

Last edited by an0va (Jun 4, 2012 5:14 pm)

CHIPTUNE

just because 8bc was bad, doesn't mean that the opposite is good?

rochester, ny
Je Mappelle wrote:

I want new music and I am not finding it the way this site currently is.

really though? i'm not asking this to be confrontational at all but how does the releases subforum not satisfy this? LOTS of albums, LOTS of bands/artists that i've never heard of before.

i'd actually be in favor of getting rid of the music section here altogether. with 8bc, you had a ton of people uploading works in progress, "my first lsdj" tracks, and generally a lot of stuff with a pretty low production value. if the emphasis on this site was just the releases section, it would kind of force people to take their stuff a little more seriously and generally up the professionalism a little?

not that there's anything wrong with sharing works in progress or "my first lsdj" tracks (i definitely posted my share on 8bc) but i'm just saying.

IL, US

i have to admit, i have no idea still what the 5 bars system really means, though i also dont really care smile

@goto80: nah, just the charts were one of the things most of us felt was more of a negative than a positive in the way the people used it.. (even if the idea itself was overall solid)

Yes. Everything Nick Maynard just said. Exactly!!

e.s.c. wrote:

i have to admit, i have no idea still what the 5 bars system really means

Hahaha I'm seriously more interested in how this works more than OMG HOW DO U WAV CHANNEL