Iowa
e.s.c. wrote:

just sayin' dont hold your breath... for artists looking to make their mark, best bet is work out a really solid release, and selectively link it to more established artists who you think it may appeal to (dont just spam the fuck out of it)... also look for netlabels who take demos

I believe the best way to "make a mark" is to make or use chip music in an entire different way for a very small example cTrix and his gAtari

IL, US

could be mentioned for the 8 millionth time that cm.org was founded (and still is run) by former 8bc staff, we didnt like what became of 8bc, so we have a pretty solid vision of what we want for cm.org
hard to put hundreds of hours of work into a site for free and have it turn into whatever exactly 8bc was in the end

uB: You're right in that music views did cluster around popular guys, but the amount of NEW artists it brought to the table is also something to think about. I haven't listened to nearly as many new artists on this website as I would of while browsing 8bc for the same period of time.

ClairBear: The artist example you used to describe one making a mark would be one that used to chart on 8bc wouldn't it.

walter b gentle: I feel u.

e.s.c. : Maybe 8bc was just a better site in the first place.

IL, US

well, no one says you need to come here if you don't like it
and cTrix was known way before the charts, old-school demoscene dude

why not just keep the stuff on your HDs and not upload it anywhere. jeez it's okay for other people to like things.

Bronx, NY
Je Mappelle wrote:

Maybe 8bc was just a better site in the first place.

BAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Ahh. Anyway, I think that a lot of what people are wanting out of a "popularity contest" or "rating system" just kinda happens organically here, and the staff doesn't/shouldn't have to outright validate or endorse it. They can curb it in the ways that they do, but honestly the same thing happens here and will continue to: the "known" names will get a ton of love, it'll still be hard for others to be recognized, and I don't think a Like system or "Popularity Contest" will really do anything to change that, it'll just make it more visible.

I don't think "competition" works for everyone, but if that's what folks want, there should be competitions organized; I don't see why the whole site has to turn into one.

In general, people should just make interesting tunes and hope others are smart enough to appreciate it. *shrug*

I realize this site really isn't for change. I personally think it would be a good idea to do something better with ratings.

Whatever, close this thread. I give up.

Indiana

my biggest thing about the ratings is people can bookmark their own songs and get a five rating right away.

seems kind of dumb

also it'd be nice if we could view the songs we have bookmarked in the past to make like a mini playlist while browsing the site.

Last edited by boomglitch (Jun 4, 2012 3:41 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I feel the opposite, I think it was much easier for me to get known here then at 8bc. Granted, I wasn't really active there, but the popularity seemed to go against the lesser knowns. With all the likes and stuff, it only made it harder to find them because people just went after people with the most likes. There wasn't that much variety in the 'most popular'. I think if you wanted to discover people here, invest the time on the front page listening to everything. Every once on a while that's what I do.

canada

i agree with je mappelle.

and just because there is no ranking system doesn't mean people aren't ignoring unknown artists.

sad)( <jj

matt's mind

there is an iphone/ipod touch app that does a lot of this stuff.  granted, not part of the site.  but the creation of your own list and whatnot.  one of the requests was the ability to share playlists, not sure if it was ever done.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6559/ … -app-v101/

shanghai

i can relate to what you are saying, i miss sharing my tracks easily with a samll group of beans from 8bc that made similar stuff to mine......but i certainly don't miss the 90% bullshit on 8bc music wise. Its easier if everyone just makes a soundcloud. music is free to stream, comment, favourite, download and also it isn't confined to the realms of just being on a 'niche forum' if you like. So there's a chance lots of people will hear the stuff on there. Yeah i think soundclouds all good for me to be honest.

shanghai

just make a 'old school 8bc' group on cloud. everyone join group. VOILA.

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

I think this is bullshit, and without to start flames, sounds like just a reason for some people to get their egos stroked. No one isn't listening to good music because it's not on the front pages/ doesn't have 5 out of 5 blue boxes, the good shit gets found because it's good eventually, and if the artist REALLY cared about being known they'd work their arse off to promote and spread it, or it'd just spread itself. 8bc felt like a fucking high street full of charity workers screaming in your face brandishing pots of money, and though I respect Sam hugely for his work trying to hold on to it and now starting ucollective, that is going the same way. It's not like there is stupid volumes of stuff here, and if you really cared about ratings etc, wouldn't you just post on ucollective anyway??

Ps, I'm not one of those here who is almost autistically pessimistic of change, I just personally think this would only be a negative

Iowa
Je Mappelle wrote:

ClairBear: The artist example you used to describe one making a mark would be one that used to chart on 8bc wouldn't it.

Good point should've thought that -_-

@andrewkilpatrick:

No. You're missing the point.

I want to hear new artists, it's not even a case of myself wanting to compete. I want new music and I am not finding it the way this site currently is. I feel some kind of rating might of helped this, however, I do now realize that it would NEVER work with this site. Just look at the responses. The people posting in this thread would never partake in such activity.

Last edited by Je Mappelle (Jun 4, 2012 4:29 pm)