Cambridge UK

Are geeks nerds and dorks really discussing popularity contests?

Abandoned on Fire
an0va wrote:

Yes. Everything Nick Maynard just said. Exactly!!

Boston, MA

only being shown "new" music is kinda boring, I always approach that pile of songs on the front page pessimistically because they're not sorted and I figure half or more won't be entertaining.

Imagine if CM had like a tiered voting system, where your vote counted more if you made good chip, and that was determined by how many votes your songs had. So a contributing, skilled artist would have more influential votes, and people involving themselves in the scene would get rewarded for it by being given a voice.

Something like that would also put everyone painting on gameboys and not making music in their place, I feel like this place is and 8BC was flooded with people trying to be chip but not making tunes................

Something like this is already implemented on stackoverflow, correct?

IL, US

a tiered voting system on a site that already has so many people thinking it's elitist?
probably not a good idea hmm

Cambridge UK

You can be involved in the scene without making music, you know.

IL, US

also ^... there are tons of people who HELP RUN THE SCENE IRL who don't (at least on a regular basis) write and record tracks, and their taste is in no way less valid than that of whoever is the hype artist of the week/month

edit: for example, the visualists

Cambridge UK

Curators, promoters, coders...

IL, US

modders, benders, photographers

nickmaynard wrote:
Je Mappelle wrote:

I want new music and I am not finding it the way this site currently is.

really though? i'm not asking this to be confrontational at all but how does the releases subforum not satisfy this? LOTS of albums, LOTS of bands/artists that i've never heard of before.

i'd actually be in favor of getting rid of the music section here altogether. with 8bc, you had a ton of people uploading works in progress, "my first lsdj" tracks, and generally a lot of stuff with a pretty low production value. if the emphasis on this site was just the releases section, it would kind of force people to take their stuff a little more seriously and generally up the professionalism a little?

not that there's anything wrong with sharing works in progress or "my first lsdj" tracks (i definitely posted my share on 8bc) but i'm just saying.

Very good point, I actually do download some releases from here.

A lot of my favourite artists don't make releases though, and I am not sure whether the removed music section would encourage them to either.

Maybe there are some really good artists out there holding back from releasing an e.p. because no one listens to them.

e.s.c. wrote:

also ^... there are tons of people who HELP RUN THE SCENE IRL who don't (at least on a regular basis) write and record tracks, and their taste is in no way less valid than that of whoever is the hype artist of the week/month

Yeah we get this, the site is primarily focused on other aspects of the scene, you mentioned it earlier.

IL, US

well, i was replying to the suggestion of a tiered voting system, didnt want to leave him hanging

Cambridge UK

FANS.

Can't have a scene that's not entirely about mutual cocksucking without them.

If anything, those votes should count more.

Last edited by George (Jun 4, 2012 5:40 pm)

Boston, MA
George wrote:

You can be involved in the scene without making music, you know.

e.s.c. wrote:

good point, didn't think of that, get tired of seeing so many painted cases for sale. there's still something attractive about interactive voting and sorting in some form but could just be a hype machine CM doesn't need

ha chipmusic.org you should change that

Boston, MA

also no hate for non-musicians, i would consider myself in that category, coder/artist, and going back to my first post, I would have gladly taken poor voting ability to see music sorted by the opinions of contributing musicians. On top of that, I only offered the suggestion because I'm capable in PHP and if it ended up being a good idea, I would have offered my time/effort/code to make it happen

IL, US

there was a suggestion of staff picks at one point that didnt sound too horrible of an idea, though again, we already get called elitists enough around here wink