cycle the palette for simple animation effects. This is useful for
making and displaying of logos and other static images that you
want to display with an NES.

Grab it here:

http://www.no-carrier.com/software.html

Oakland, CA

You are my hero heart

Milwaukee, WI

So great!  Will be so useful for us non visual performers to have cool visuals!  Thank you!  smile

Minneapolis

Most excellent! Yet another suitable NROM program! [shameless_pitch] For those who want a hard-copy, I do burn custom EPROMs for people! [/shameless_pitch]

arfink wrote:

Most excellent! Yet another suitable NROM program! [shameless_pitch] For those who want a hard-copy, I do burn custom EPROMs for people! [/shameless_pitch]

Yeah if any of you are in the UK and want some burnt for you hook me up!

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

very cool.
thanx!

Tokyo, Japan

Megasuperuber necrobump but I have a bit of a clarification question about the color cycling.

Im very very new to the whole nes grafx thing but I have a bit of a problem wrapping my head around the pallets. I am using Shiru's nes screen tool which has the "nes pallet" of the 53ish colors and 4 "sub pallets" of the background colors plus 3 each for 15 colors. Could I confirm these AREN'T related to which colors cycle?

In this bit of code

lda #$04                ; these are the 4 colors
        sta Color0              ; that will cycle when you
        lda #$14                ; hit the "start" button
        sta Color1
        lda #$24
        sta Color2
        lda #$34
        sta Color3

I pick my cycling colors right? So I don't understand where my 4 extra colors are coming from if nametables only have 15 colors? Did I get mixed up here?

Thanks!

Russia, Moscow

Actually there are many ways how to cycle a palette on NES.

You can cycle colors 1,2,3 in every palette (like, 2 goes to 1, 3 to 2, 1 to 3) - this keeps the background color the same and uses the same predefined set of colors. You can cycle all four colors (1 to 0, 2 to 1, 3 to 2, 0 to 3), this will change the background color too, but don't forget that it is shared between all palettes, so only last write to any color 0 will take effects - thus the background will always have one of colors of one of palettes.

You can also cycle colors between palettes, cycle the 4-color sub palettes itself (all colors of palette 1 to palette 0 etc).

You can even cycle color values. Notice that low nibble of a hex code for a color is hue (0-d), and high nibble is brightness (0-3). So you can keep the top nibble while incrementing or decrementing low nibble, and have effect similar to the one that you can see while moving the Hue slider in a graphics editor.