vancouver, canada

"haha HEY LOSER when are you gonna play us sum BIT SHIFTER off that dumbass gameboy"

- in about 5 years

buffalo, NY

Wow that was awful

バード大学
9H05T wrote:

I've gotten the occasional "cool" and that's enough positive feedback. I'm from Alabama and make music in Nashville so cue up the blues brother's quote about both kinds of music. There's not a lot of validation here for widely popular forms of electronic music...almost none for something this niche.

sorry for the life story.

Fight the good fight, man. It's tough when you /are/ most of the scene.

バード大学

Oh, and:

*Kid runs up with a flock of friends and starts jumping up and down, points at Gameboy, screaming:*

"YO DAWG DAS A FUCKIN' SOOPA NINTEEENDOOOOOO!"

shanghai
snesei wrote:

"you're the skrillex of chiptune"

you are aware they are politely calling you a cock right : P

kick em in the nuts

Liverpool, UK

>People comparing you to (arguably) the most popular current electronic musician at the moment
>You saying this is the 'worst comment recieved'

mainz, grmny.

I'm not saying Skrillex was necessarily bad or something. But just because someone compares you to the currently most popular electronic musician doesn't mean they know much about what you're doing. Or what Skrillex is doing. You know, if it took skill, time, commitment.
So I would say it's a rather bad compliment, not because someone's getting compared to Skrillex, but because of getting compared to one of the most popular electronic musicians at the time.

Last edited by Stern Fucking Zeit (Jun 14, 2012 11:58 am)

NSW, Australia
calmdownkidder wrote:

>People comparing you to (arguably) the most popular current electronic musician at the moment
>You saying this is the 'worst comment recieved'

I Agree

Rochester, NY

I wish I was skrillex

ohgodno, Indiana

"What the hell did you do to those gameboys?!! You cant even play zelda on em anymore."

got that one yesterday lol, of course i let them play zelda as soon as they said it

9-Heart wrote:
theshaggyfreak wrote:

[...]
I would love to see more 'point of view' cameras utilized by electronic musicians and it's something I hope to be able to do at some point. I first saw this sort of thing done by Thomas Dolby a handful of years ago. He had a small camera attached to his head so that you could see exactly what he saw and it was displayed on a large projector. Mixing things like this with other nifty visuals really helps out a performance IMHO.

Like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1lDehRu4zo

This is awesome
Patric Catani often projects what he's doing and lot's of people love it.
I thought of ways to do it too, I really like the idea.
Lsdj rom on pc + projector = easymode. But then I saw you could do it with a Wii, anybody have any experience with gameboy roms on Wii and/or Wii + projector setups?

OT: everybody I know calls it nintendocore, even if it's just regular chiptune. I don't care. I think the mario at a rave comments are awesome.

Sydney, NSW

skrillex is popular, people like him. if those people that called you the skrillex of chiptune, liked skrillex, then it was a compliment.
it's not that hard, really

thebitman wrote:
9H05T wrote:

I love this thread!

I get "real music" (even at a hacker convention, which I did not expect) all the time and being called a DJ, I've been introduced by the wrong name, I've been told to "shut up and put on some _______" My own girlfriend insults the music I make, my family don't understand it, nor do my friends. that's why I lurk here, seeing so many posts of such good music makes me feel validated, even if I haven't posted a link to a damn thing I'm working on.

I've gotten the occasional "cool" and that's enough positive feedback. I'm from Alabama and make music in Nashville so cue up the blues brother's quote about both kinds of music. There's not a lot of validation here for widely popular forms of electronic music...almost none for something this niche.

I do think it's odd not understanding how this stuff gets lumped into techno, given that that's the average person's perspective of anything made with synthetic instruments or instruments attached to a screen. 'Mario at a Rave" isn't an insult. Raves are FUN as is Mario, to you music is a soul crushing search for self expression for them it's a laugh on the weekend.  I think the "unce" comments by those in the scene are way more insulting. But, I love techno, electro, breaks and house in all it's forms so maybe I'm biased.

sorry for the life story.

Bama brotha! I'm in Birmingham/Tuscaloosa. Where be your hometown? I sympathize completely with you and your story. >.<

I'm from Brimingham (grew up in Hoover and moved to 14th avenue south by dreamland...then spent a year in Orlando learning music engineering) and now I'm in Nashville, TN (for about 10 years...I'm an old guy smile ) working as a graphic designer. My family still lives down there

Jotie wrote:

This is awesome
Patric Catani often projects what he's doing and lot's of people love it.
I thought of ways to do it too, I really like the idea.
Lsdj rom on pc + projector = easymode. But then I saw you could do it with a Wii, anybody have any experience with gameboy roms on Wii and/or Wii + projector setups?

OT: everybody I know calls it nintendocore, even if it's just regular chiptune. I don't care. I think the mario at a rave comments are awesome.

I'd actually like to see some of this stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ralwfcuE … re=related

with gameboy/DS screens updated in realtime and animated pixel art graphics. I'm all about the combination of new and old tech. I just need to get a projector.

Last edited by 9H05T (Jun 14, 2012 3:42 pm)

babylon

no ones ever said anything mean to me. the only thing kinda negative that happens is from being friends with and sometimes playing with another (much better) artist. ive had countless people think im him which usually pisses us both off. mainly cause we look nohing like each other. " hey your ****.  i saw you at blah blah". no you didnt.

nashville,tn
9H05T wrote:

I'm from Brimingham (grew up in Hoover and moved to 14th avenue south by dreamland...then spent a year in Orlando learning music engineering) and now I'm in Nashville, TN (for about 10 years...I'm an old guy smile ) working as a graphic designer. My family still lives down there

seems like there's a chip sleeper cell in n'ville.....the number of other chip peeps i've learned of in the past few months has doubled... kinda-from 3 to 6..... lolcatz

Last edited by sugar sk*-*lls (Jun 14, 2012 11:09 pm)