Joey wrote:

The synths definitely needed some tweaking to give more of a "hi-fi" sound, because it's constantly battling against the raw tones of the guitars and drums..

Making 8bit music sound less 8bit

Last edited by Jotie (May 27, 2012 11:20 am)

Joey wrote:

The production as a whole on the album came out very hollow-sounding, due to a number of reasons - one being that the mastering process was rather rushed. Here's a clip of the newest track I'm working on (which, by the way, I will be sharing with you guys once I release it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u7SDW4ML5c

Awesome, I find the overall sound a lot better in that video. Production is one of the few things holding me back from purchasing at this stage, since in terms of composition and performance this stuff is amazing.

Texas

Glad to see them finally on CM!

Saw their EP on total-deathcore a few months back and I was very impressed.
Great release!

Jotie wrote:
Joey wrote:

The synths definitely needed some tweaking to give more of a "hi-fi" sound, because it's constantly battling against the raw tones of the guitars and drums..

Read the other part of my post:

"I should probably mention that a lot of the synths are a mix between 16-bit and 8-bit emulators layered over the top of eachother." wink

@8-Bit Vic, Thanks man. By the way, it's not actually a band - just a studio project for now. However I am thinking about going live with it at some point.

@sergio, In all honesty, the whole sound of the album started to go down hill during the mastering/EQ process. Needless to say, future releases will be up to par on production value. wink

Texas
Joey wrote:
Jotie wrote:

Read the other part of my post:

"I should probably mention that a lot of the synths are a mix between 16-bit and 8-bit emulators layered over the top of eachother." wink

@8-Bit Vic, Thanks man. By the way, it's not actually a band - just a studio project for now. However I am thinking about going live with it at some point.

@sergio, In all honesty, the whole sound of the album started to go down hill during the mastering/EQ process. Needless to say, future releases will be up to par on production value. wink

Anytime.
I caught myself putting my own vox on some tracks because they're so catchy.
Have you ever thought about putting some vocals? It think it'll pull in more fans, really.

Nah, I'm just busting ya.
I actually quite liked the synths in there, the Hi-fi feel sounds kind off cool in contrast with the raw guitar.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I just realized I didn't actually mention how much I like your music in my first post and just sounded like a cock. I like that each song is basically lick after lick after lick. Something new around every corner. I showed a couple buds who ended up buying the album as well.

Nah, it's cool wink

@Vic: I have thought about getting in some guest vocalists in as a one-off thing, but honestly I feel it would ruin the whole point of what I do. The tracks wouldn't seem like "levels" anymore.

For me it's more important that I portray a story within my music through the melodies and progressions, as opposed to simply prog metal with 8-bit sounds. On the other hand, if you have any interesting ideas for vocals then record them over a track if you can. Let me know if you do!

Rhode Island

Man I keep coming back to this album. Definitely a big fan. It grew on me very quickly and now I can't put it down. Been showing it around as well. Great work

Spain

The music is highly professional and very sophisticated but I don't like it. It's because of this mathcore/djent thing going on, I just don't get it. I'm more into Empire-era Queensrÿche and Scenes from a Memory-era Dream Theater. Thanks for the share, though.

Spain

Cool music, but I don't find it very 8-bitish, sorry

http://modarchive.org/index.php?request … uery=67954 prog chip I like!

Louisiana

Eventide City (zone 3) is by far my favortite out of all of them. It's filled with Sonic goodness. And that raw guitar through out is perfect. It's a shame it's so short buy I could listen to it over and over. Over all awesome tracks but 3 is the best and is, in my opinion, the most legit chip sounding song out of all of them on the album. The rest sound to easily replicated with a simple keyboard needs to be a little more raw sounding. Get ahold of lsdj and milky tracker and play with one of them. Awesome songs though man. Definelty showing my buddy this album when I see him next. smile

thedimitry wrote:

The music is highly professional and very sophisticated but I don't like it. It's because of this mathcore/djent thing going on, I just don't get it. I'm more into Empire-era Queensrÿche and Scenes from a Memory-era Dream Theater. Thanks for the share, though.

I know not everyone will like it. Nice to see people can still appreciate what goes into it though. wink

@Vex: Thanks bro. I agree about Eventide City, because it's so different from the other tracks I had more to work and experiment with. That track in particular was one of the most fun to create.

I'll definitely check those chips out. I just got Plogue Chipsounds the other day and I've started experimenting with some new and interesting ideas for my latest pieces. Once I've got something solid I'll post up a clip here for some feedback.

By the way, does anyone have any recommendations for good sounding chip drums? I usually just take samples I like and add bit-crushers and whatever other effects (which works well), but I'm looking for something a bit more legit sounding now.

Just a heads up, a new track will be out this month smile Stay tuned!

www.facebook.com/skysanctuaryuk