this music is quite new to me, and i love it!

are you with me?

Last edited by ZYL (Feb 17, 2010 1:52 pm)

Brazil

Totally.

NEU!
Can
Early Kraftwerk
Popol Vuh

I will get some videos later to complement this thread. smile

Stockholm

I'm a long-time krautrock fan. My favourite bands/artists is probably La Düsseldorf, Neu! and Walter Wegmüller. And anything Michael Rother is involved in is bound to be good.

It is funny how many of the original german krautrock bands consisted of seemingly shuffled compositions of just a handful of people.

BBC made a documentary about krautrock last year, called "Krautrock - The Rebirth of Germany". It's a typical TV documentary, but a nice introduction, with interesting interviews with many of the central figures of 70s krautrock.

Stockholm

Also, don't miss Rockmonitor's C64 tunes. Some have a very "krauty" feel to them, for instance Nebula.

Any one know of any more chip-related music which is influenced by/sounds like kraut? Or any modern music for that matter? The most obvious example I've seen in the last couple of years is Baltic Fleet's song "Black Lounge", which extends beyond being only influenced by krautrock. I would rather call it a tribute to Neu!'s "Hallogallo".

Random wrote:

Also, don't miss Rockmonitor's C64 tunes. Some have a very "krauty" feel to them, for instance Nebula.

Any one know of any more chip-related music which is influenced by/sounds like kraut? Or any modern music for that matter? The most obvious example I've seen in the last couple of years is Baltic Fleet's song "Black Lounge", which extends beyond being only influenced by krautrock. I would rather call it a tribute to Neu!'s "Hallogallo".

nice! will def check it out! smile

Italy

Anybody knows these guys here?
Welle:Erdball, they mix the classic Krautrock sounds with more new wave oriented syle and where among the first to take a C64 on stage apparently...

Stockholm

Of course, Welle:Erdball are famous! Never thought they sounded anything similar to krautrock though, nor does the songs you've linked to sound anything like it. How do you mean?

Their production is very uneven. I like some albums a lot, but some are quite crappy. Saw them live in Stockholm a couple of years ago though (Covox and I hung out with hundreds of synth- EBM- and goth-people the whole night – we were the only blonds in the whole venue!), and it was a fucking amazing show!

Sweden

Subway Sonicbeat pretty much summed up my preferences, except for Faust. Anyone heard Os Mundi? That's good stuff, too.

Athens, Greece

Also check out Cluster and Guru Guru who are fucking awesome.

A lot of people seem to like Amon Düül II too.

edit: also, if you check Can, go for the first album, Malcolm Mooney rox

Last edited by Mano (Feb 17, 2010 7:05 pm)

Italy
Random wrote:

Of course, Welle:Erdball are famous! Never thought they sounded anything similar to krautrock though, nor does the songs you've linked to sound anything like it. How do you mean?

Their production is very uneven. I like some albums a lot, but some are quite crappy. Saw them live in Stockholm a couple of years ago though (Covox and I hung out with hundreds of synth- EBM- and goth-people the whole night – we were the only blonds in the whole venue!), and it was a fucking amazing show!

well I agree that the examples I brough are not the best ones... but I think a lot of things from them sounds like kraftwerk and other german electronica bands. It may have something to do with the synths they use...
Anyway I agree, some of their albums are really bad...

New York, New York

edit: Read my next post.

Last edited by Esopus-dragon (Feb 18, 2010 1:44 am)

the documentary Random mentioned is very good! funny fact i didnt know, there's a clear musical impact and link to david bowie (heroes).

copenhagen, denmark

woo! krautrock is awesome... no doubt about it. been listening to it a lot for the past few years. one of my favorite albums is manual göttsching's (of ash ra tempel) "E2-E4."

Italy

Anyway... discovering some amazing new music (meaning new to me) I didn't know yet! And I'm even kind of German... smile

Montréal

errrr... nevermind.

Last edited by Zombipnok (Feb 17, 2010 10:35 pm)

Stockholm
seablue wrote:

one of my favorite albums is manual göttsching's (of ash ra tempel) "E2-E4."

Yes, truly an epic piece of music (in the literary meaning of the word). Randomly found it while on free-leech on Oink a couple of years ago.

On a more general note, I'm not very comfortable with calling krautrock for "electronic music" or "electronica". Sure, some bands are almost entirely electronic (like Cluster, for instance), but to me, krautrock focuses a lot on guitar, drums and experimental recordings of sounds too…