Gosford, Australia

but then again, if it's just a select few of chiptune's top brass that would be pre-ordering, then it might be worth considering? i dunno, i'm no business guy!

I just hijack this Theard before opening one for a simple question:
What to do with a .lsdng File? Never used one, is it like a .kit?

Sweeeeeeden

9-Heart, check out this: http://code.google.com/p/lsdmanager/

herr_prof wrote:

Id be willing to both preorder my cart and not complain if it takes a few weeks/months to get them out the door, if money is a problem. Just sayin'

+1

New York, NY

Ditto!
Or "kick starter " this! for extra funds.

Can't wait.
j.

herr_prof wrote:

Id be willing to both preorder my cart and not complain if it takes a few weeks/months to get them out the door, if money is a problem. Just sayin'

SYDNERDIA
Falling For A Square wrote:

Ditto!
Or "kick starter " this! for extra funds.

Can't wait.
j.

This is something I've considered and discussed with several people.
Certainly, Kickstarter would provide funds for possibly several hundred carts.

But this is ignoring the engineering reality. When I ship a cart, it has been tested extensively - carts I make don't even bet a serial number until they pass the hardware test.
I've made 1 cart - that was the development process - and I've made 10 carts. But making 100 carts is a totally different proposition; you can't spend 10 hours making and debugging each one, or nobody could afford them.

So what if I try and get 500 built - and there's a manufacturing issue? Fixing 500 carts with high-density surface mount would be a horrendous proposition.

I really appreciate the massive positive response from the community - it's really encouraging, which helps in a process where I'm spending my spare time from a fulltime PhD candidature! Kickstarter solves straight-up funding shortages, but engineering something to mass production isn't solved by infinite cash.
I'm much more comfortable selling batches of devices at a rate I know I can afford, and with a quality level I can guarantee, than over-promising in either time or quality, and then under-delivering.

The first batch is of 100 boards, and in the exceedingly near future, I will know how many came back from fabrication alive. It's not far until they'll be for sale. And no, I can't say exactly when! Sorry.

edit: grammar; rushing

Last edited by abrasive (Jun 19, 2012 3:29 pm)

Gosford, Australia

engineering something to mass production isn't solved by infinite cash.

infinite cash would pay your rent, though! wink

Unsubscribe

You could always do a kickstarter for tiered batches

xdollars gets you in batch 1 of 100
xdollars + 5 gets in batch two
etc

SYDNERDIA
herr_prof wrote:

You could always do a kickstarter for tiered batches

xdollars gets you in batch 1 of 100
xdollars + 5 gets in batch two
etc

okay.
if you pay me $300, you will get a cart from batch 1.
first 50 entrants only.

Unsubscribe

there ya go big_smile

SYDNERDIA

there's been a /lot/ of interest, and the delay to batch 2 could actually be several months. so... it's not a bad deal!

Fargo

Shoot.  Well, if these sell out at that price, I may have to wait several months sad  Keep us posted though.  I am all ready to pay the previously mentioned price if any remain in batch 1.

Gosford, Australia

thinking about it.

Gosford, Australia

actually that's silly i know i can't be paying $300 for a cart i'm not scrooge mcduck

SYDNERDIA

even the australians aren't "getting it"?

Sweeeeeeden
abrasive wrote:

even the australians aren't "getting it"?

Shh! You're about to make $15k really easily! Don't screw up now...