rochester, ny

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/763704741/synthboy

basically a sleek arduinoboy, which is kind of cool, even if it's too expensive for me. i was curious about the knobs though.

kickstarter wrote:

The knobs do different things depending on what you are doing.  If you are playing the Gameboy as a traditional instrument, the top three knobs allow you to quickly change parameters that will immediately effect the sound.  If you are using the tracker style program the bottom two knobs will allow you to manipulate the flow and style of your song in real time.

okay, "manipulate the flow and style"? what does that mean?

their website wrote:

Nex’s GBLFO is an awesome feature for LSDJ artists. By sensing the sync messages sent from LSDJ, the GBLFO is able to administer precisely timed breaks in the audio giving it an oscillator feel. Several modes of severity controlled by one knob and the fine tune knob to administer the amount give this feature a very unique ability to change a rather ordinary average track into something interesting and worth listening to, in real time.

synced breaks in the audio? seems kind of neat even if i don't understand it. i watched the video and you can hear a stuttery choppy effect, which is kind of cool. what do you guys think?

uhajdafdfdfa

WHAT is "the tracker style program"?  something that already exists or something NEW?

NC in the US of America
ant1 wrote:

WHAT is "the tracker style program"?  something that already exists or something NEW?

Maybe the meant "A" instead of "THE"? I dsunno

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
their website wrote:

Several modes of severity controlled by one knob and the fine tune knob to administer the amount give this feature a very unique ability to change a rather ordinary average track into something interesting and worth listening to, in real time.

They called my track average and ordinary sad I haven't even made it yet. . .

Gosford, Australia

mate your track is obviously not worth listening to if it doesn't precisely timed breaks in the audio

but yeah, i know it's hard to explain this stuff in lay-terms but most of the people who would buy this - or at least the people who should buy this - will understand synthesis terminology. so the condescending writeup is a bit grating!

Last edited by Victory Road (Jun 23, 2012 1:10 am)

Fargo

If I had to guess, the top knobs would change instruments' parameters if you are playing the arduinoboy with a keyboard.  The bottom would then change the tempo and groove, I would imagine.  I am not involved in this project, so don't take my word as law.

As for the timed breaks, I know exactly what they are talking about.  Nex has a project on his site called the Super Sync Boy that better shows what this means.

http://nex.gg8.se/modblog/2010/06/super-sync-boy/

Tacoma WA

We could have saved over $100.00 per unit if we do like most and ship the whole thing over seas, but we prefer a hand crafted approach.  Each unit will be signed and numbered by us as we take immense pride in our work. This will make an excellent Christmas gift as we are hoping to ship in time for the holiday season this year.

so they're going with the more labor intensive process rather than SMT? 

so they're 100$ more expensive on purpose.

ok...  more expensive is good

East Kilbride, Scotland
infradead wrote:

We could have saved over $100.00 per unit if we do like most and ship the whole thing over seas, but we prefer a hand crafted approach.  Each unit will be signed and numbered by us as we take immense pride in our work. This will make an excellent Christmas gift as we are hoping to ship in time for the holiday season this year.

Yeah, because none of us would have wanted to save at least $100 on a $280 unit. hmm

uhajdafdfdfa

when i read "timed breaks in the audio giving it an oscillator feel" i was expecting some kind of AM modulation (yes i know the M in AM stands for "modulation") but it seems to just be DJ STUTTER FX

Czech republic

I think it is similar to this:

sweden
ashimoke wrote:

I think it is similar to this:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/114953/#p114953

wink

rochester, ny
Sycamore Drive wrote:
infradead wrote:

Yeah, because none of us would have wanted to save at least $100 on a $280 unit. hmm

i can get my gameboys modded overseas???

UK

hmmm. this seems like a very expensive collation of other people's work. wont be buying, good luck to them.

Rochester, NY

(copied from the other thread...)

We chose through hole components instead of cheaper surface mount components.

why? 

We have sockets for the optoisolator and the DIP reed switches as well as tooled sockets for the Arduino's.

again, why?

We could have saved over $100.00 per unit if we do like most and ship the whole thing over seas, but we prefer a hand crafted approach.

as the chiptune community are the biggest bunch of broke ass cheapskates i've ever encountered, you would have been wise to "ship the whole thing over seas". 

Each unit will be signed and numbered by us as we take immense pride in our work.

sounds more like ego, honestly. if i were to buy one i'd prefer that it wasn't signed.

much respect to them though, for putting so much effort into this.

Gosford, Australia
ant1 wrote:

when i read "timed breaks in the audio giving it an oscillator feel" i was expecting some kind of AM modulation (yes i know the M in AM stands for "modulation") but it seems to just be DJ STUTTER FX

but it's dj stutter fx that make your track actually worth listening to

Chicago IL

you guys are missing the real point of this, if you pledge 3,800 dollars YOU GET 2 ARDUINO BOYS, A MIDINES AND A CYNTHCART IN A RACK UNIT