ohio gozaimasu

Stern Fucking Zeit's "Pathoscillator" is my new favorite.
and

b4by f4c3 wrote:

NNNNNNNNNN - Cosmic Lovely Lovely

Chicago

I forgot about Team Toothpaste's Dental Dubs.
tasty, tasty jams

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
xylo wrote:

4mat - rips.
4mat - origins.

lawlawlawl 2012

brooklyn
Frostbyte wrote:

lawlawlawl 2012

way to plug yourself...

anyway, (in no particular order):
live in nyc - condom
2012 - frostbyte
wish - je mappelle
knife city - knife city
cosmic lovely lovely - NNNNNNNNNN
revengineers - revengineers
four chord tropes for dopes - victory road
journy ep - vince kaichan

Lexington, KY
Frostbyte wrote:

lawlawlawl 2012

Shameless plug isn't shameless if it's damn good.
This is damn good.

lol i actually was thinking it'd be relevant since it's 2012, i didn't realize the plug till after i posted, but by then it was too funny wink

NSW, Australia

Stern Fucking Zeit-Pathoscillator.........Mind Blowing

AANABAY01

does anyone get the feeling that there has been an absolutely huge amount of releases and they've all sunk within a week of opening? one or two of you must be musicians who intended to make works which shook the world and, well, we're just making each other tremble very briefly

Rochester, NY

That's what you get when you let your heart win

but also when the barriers to entry are so tiny, of course there are going to be a ton of releases

The fact that so many are good is a testament to how many releases there actually are, because it's not like every release is dynamite nahwahmean?

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

does anyone get the feeling that there has been an absolutely huge amount of releases and they've all sunk within a week of opening? one or two of you must be musicians who intended to make works which shook the world and, well, we're just making each other tremble very briefly

ChipsChallengeBand wrote:

because it's not like every release is dynamite nahwahmean?

This. It just seems that there's a glut of releases right now, but that could just be because it's the summer... Meh, A LOT of good chip has been released in the past month and a half, so each release's impact is sorta lessened.

Unsubscribe
Russellian wrote:

A LOT of good chip has been released in the past month and a half, but then each artist doesn't do much to promote the release aside from posting it on a random forum, so each release's impact is sorta lessened.

Westfield, NJ
herr_prof wrote:
Russellian wrote:

A LOT of good chip has been released in the past month and a half, but then each artist doesn't do much to promote the release aside from posting it on a random forum, so each release's impact is sorta lessened.

there aren't many outlets for all this good chipmusic either... there's a few chip shows that are only able to book a fraction of all the great artists releasing music right now, there's a few radio shows, a few blogs, no podcasts, hardly any DJs taking this stuff to clubs, etc. etc.

the points have been made a few times on here, that chip musicians should send their stuff to blogs and other outlets outside the chip community (stuff that is genre specific, and don't bother telling them it's chipmusic, they don't care about that). it's good advice. i was able to get a lot of attention for my dark mode EP, which I released myself, considering it's pretty mediocre compared to a lot of other music I see on this forum. it was covered by some dance music and synth-nerd sites, and then got featured on create digital music, which was pretty cool. it's about to top 300 downloads, which is nice, and most of that was not from my handful of posts on chip forums.

along with that, it's essential to find gigs with non-chip acts, rather than just hoping your local monthly chip show will finally book you. to be honest, this is hard, but not impossible. it helps having friends who are making other kinds of music... it's all about networking. if they are getting shows and they like your stuff, they might invite you along.

all that being said, I think this is endemic of a lot of music these days, not just chipmusic. I see lots of great releases get some heat on the blogs and such for the first few weeks after they come out, and then so much new stuff comes along right away that it's all forgotten. it's just part of the reduced barrier to entry and the ubiquity of the web. record labels have dominated the major radio stations and distribution platforms for the sole purpose of extending the longevity of popular music, guaranteeing that the same handful of catchy songs are heard over and over for months, to maximize their profit... it's a lot easier than monetizing the long tail. living outside of that bubble, it's up to the artist to take their marketing into their own hands and keep pushing their best music, and build a dedicated fanbase that will continue supporting their work. sometimes that's more work than the actual music.

but some people just do this for fun and don't care to promote beyond the occasional forum post. to each his/her own.

sorry if this was tl/dr; just this is a topic I'm very interested in and I'm glad zzzb brought it up.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I know no one cares, but I'm pretty happy with the response and exposure I've gotten from my first release. I'm sure it's nothing compared to others' but not to me. smile

California

Actually, you got a relatively large amount of attention with your release, if judging by the number of posts and views on the release topic.The most attention I ever got on a release topic was 9 posts.

Westfield, NJ
VCMG wrote:

Actually, you got a relatively large amount of attention with your release, if judging by the number of posts and views on the release topic.The most attention I ever got on a release topic was 9 posts.

oh, i just realized you were talking to auxcide and not me. oh well, i think the following still applies, kinda:

what I'm saying is that traffic from chip forums still makes up only a small fraction of the traffic to the actual release page, when you have other avenues of promotion. you can get a lot more from blogs that are relevant to your genre, or from a facebook page with a lot of fans.

and it helps to promote your release continuously for months, and follow up with more releases. in my case, it wasn't one of those flash-in-the-pan things where i had 200 downloads in the first week. i probably had 50 within the first month, and a steady trickle since then, with the biggest jump happening after the mention on create digital music.

anyway, just my $0.02 worth of advice.

Last edited by Decktonic (Jun 25, 2012 6:00 pm)