バード大学

Have any of you been in a situation where you were asked by a venue to provide a brief summary of chipmusic for the sake of the venue's promotion of the event/the scene? If so, can you give me some help with keeping it concise, accurate and likely to attract the interest of unfamiliar outsiders?

Last edited by Helvetica Scenario (Jun 27, 2012 9:03 pm)

MARIO AT A RAVE

Chicago IL

it's actually really easy

Music based on using or emulating the sound chips of old consoles and computers.

use your words.

Russia, Moscow

Don't think it is a good idea to use the words 'sound chip'. I would say, 'music created with old computers and consoles' without getting into tech details.

Iowa
Shiru wrote:

I would say, 'music created with old computers and consoles' without getting into tech details.

vancouver, canada

"it's that video game music that over-aged hipsters jump around to behind a plastic table.  also known as nintendocore"

in all seriousness though, the phrase that i used for a venue was, verbatim: "music composed using old game console hardware, or at least with that characteristic sound in mind."  i thought that was a decently concise and inclusive way to describe it.

Cambridge UK

It bleeps and it bloops.

Crystal Castles did it

I punch notes into the game cartridge with these buttons. The game simply interprets these notes similarly to how a self-playing piano would. Now, I can choose what rolls of notes to put into my "piano" and there are only so many sounds I can make, but whatever the piano plays I wrote. It can be any genre, any style. But it will sound like the medium it is played on. Playing pop tunes on piano sounds like a piano playing pop tunes. Waltzes on a Gameboy sound like Mario at a not-rave. Capiche?

Cambridge UK

I want all of thebitman's drugs.

バード大学
George wrote:

This'll be the description.

Helvetica Scenario wrote:
George wrote:

This'll be the description.

Do not mix with alcohol.

Melbourne, Australia

I usually put something along the lines of "Music that uses a combination of the soundchips from antiquated video gaming consoles with modern music sensibilities" (and then if they want something more, ..."to create an event which is both nostalgic and cutting edge" depends how many words they are after)

Madison, Wisconsin, USA

jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajjaajajajajajajajajajajajajjaajjajajajajajja (i spek espinol)

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Try really hard to remember what you said that that chick when we were busking. I remember us saying "Damn...that was seriously the best possible way to describe it." We should have wrote it down considering all three of us were awestruck.

Westfield, NJ

man, you guys suck at marketing. all these descriptions are so damn boring.

"chipmusic is raw, no-frills electronic music made by pushing old game consoles and computers to their absolute limits with expert programming"