Philadelphia, PA

"Sound capabilities" might be more descriptive than "sound chip."

Russia, Moscow

The thing that people who aren't into computers have no idea what the chips are, what the programming is, that there are different kind of computers, and that there are some limits. So if you mention any of these details, this would only create new questions, in the best case, or simply put a person into 'sorry, I'm too dumb to understand all that your rocket science' mode.

Another take, if you are a guitar player,  when you asked about your music, you won't get into details on your gear right away, like explaining the whole setup and how it works, or a brand of strings you are using.

Last edited by Shiru (Jun 28, 2012 12:13 am)

Sydney, NSW

an enormous internet circlejerk

Brunswick, GA USA

The venue wants your "elevator pitch," for which "Mario at a Rave" works provided you actually sound like Mario at a rave. The answer you give should relate to your own sound, not necessarily to chipmusic as a whole. Decktonic had the right idea, though it should be shorter if you can help it, and ...  Decktonic's only works if you are actually pushing the limits of your system...

Westfield, NJ
Shiru wrote:

So if you mention any of these details, this would only create new questions

Inspiring questions can be good, if you want to peak peoples' interest. I'm advocating going for the "here's something mysterious and surprising you have not seen before" approach. I'm also advocating the nostalgia element here. Marketing is easy if you go for the lowest common denominator.

You could also tailor it to your genre of music.

It's up to you.

Paris, France

"Headbanging on post-modernist aesthetics"
"Not in Employment, Education or Training"

バード大学
chunter wrote:

The venue wants your "elevator pitch," for which "Mario at a Rave" works provided you actually sound like Mario at a rave. The answer you give should relate to your own sound, not necessarily to chipmusic as a whole. Decktonic had the right idea, though it should be shorter if you can help it, and ...  Decktonic's only works if you are actually pushing the limits of your system...

I don't think a single one of us has any hairtune. Decktonic's given a fairly accurate description, albeit a bit wordy.

Last edited by Helvetica Scenario (Jun 28, 2012 1:51 am)

Tokyo, Japan

I rather like "retrotech" as part of a description. It is descriptive and sounds cool!

washington
Decktonic wrote:

man, you guys suck at marketing. all these descriptions are so damn boring.

"chipmusic is raw, no-frills electronic music made by pushing old game consoles and computers to their absolute limits with expert programming"

I like this a lot. Except I'm not capable of 'Expert programming'. big_smile

バード大学
Decktonic wrote:

I'm advocating going for the "here's something mysterious and surprising you have not seen before" approach.

Marketing is easy if you go for the lowest common denominator.

I feel that the latter doesn't invoke the former.

Last edited by Helvetica Scenario (Jun 28, 2012 1:53 am)

Chicago IL

whatever y'all can eat a rhino dick

"It's music, but not really"

East Kilbride, Scotland

I think you should add a short bit about what sort of genres will be played by the artists on the bill. If it's dance/rock/death metal it will attract different crowds.

If they were to ask for an event description and you said "dance music programmed onto old games consoles", they will have a better idea of how to promote it.

Holland

It's speedmetal, but without guitars and metal.

バード大学
Sycamore Drive wrote:

I think you should add a short bit about what sort of genres will be played by the artists on the bill. If it's dance/rock/death metal it will attract different crowds.

If they were to ask for an event description and you said "dance music programmed onto old games consoles", they will have a better idea of how to promote it.

Seems like it's shaping up to be a lot of things.

shanghai

"shitty music made on shitty old computers no one wants anymore"