shanghai
r4c7 wrote:
Downstate wrote:

EDM is basically the term for generic shit electro house kind brostep shit aint it ?

cos if its actually decent electronic (dance) music it would be classiified as what it actually is, ie - techno, tech house, breakbeat, dubstep etc etc

basically if its uninspired shit they play on the radio (and paris hilton has probably got on her playlist) then it can be classified as EDM to let us know that its utter rubbish

TRUTHS

It is used as a more generic term for electronic music, without counting things like ambient, because that isn't dance music. If you get into elctronic music, you may see it is a common term.

its not a generic term for electronic music. its a generic term for electronic dance music.
i have been into electronic music since about 1995. i honestly never heard this term EDM until i watched a skrillex video on youtube.
instead for the electronic music i liked from then to now was mostly descibed as the pretentious IDM. this is probably worse.
Its just what springs to mind in my brain if i hear this phrase EDM is mainstream electro house, skrillex and all that stuff.
for example i doubt it says in any reviews or something decent from recently (new squarepusher) or more dancefloor stuff (2562)......'Tom jenkinson aka squarepusher has been making abstract EDM since the early nineties'. His music can definately be described as dance music as much as listening music.  but the interview would say 'IDM' instead of 'EDM'
my point being he is not classified as EDM because it falls perfectly fine into the IDM category i suppose.....where as Skrillex/Katy B etc and that sort of stuff are basically called EDM to stop there being 85,00000 comments on every one of their music videos saying 'this is not dubstep, go listen to some old benga and loefah shit, thats dubstep'

EDM = Electronic Dance Music

That's definitely the most generic term I have ever heard for describing this kind of music. It's electronic, it's based on dancing, and it's music. I've also seen it used before Skrillex for the record. He didn't coin it.

shanghai

i didnt intend my post to be a skrillex bashing, i just used him as the example because i dont know any other people described as EDM because they are shit and i dont know there names because i dont like them because they are kinda whack shit and i dont like whack shit because its shit yo.
anyway why am i getting in a discussion about dance music....if some one says to me 'my favourite genre of music is 'DANCE', then you know they mean any chart shit that has had a 4/4 beat put under it''. 'like yeah im into like dance, do you like dance? like calvin harris and david guetta...those guys maek teh best dancez mang'......"that new tulisa or cheryl song is awesome man"
I dont think i like DANCE MUSIC ANYMORE !!!

nashville,tn
ant1 wrote:

are you trying to say that THE PURPOSE of music is dancing?????

nah, there are as many purposes for music as there kinds of music and people who listen to it.

England

When people talk about EDM it makes me think of the kind of popular stuff that they might play on mainstream radio. Dance music that people would go and see at some corporate sponsored event in a stadium, dance music that your Mum might hum along to, dance music that they play alongside the likes of Robbie Williams in those horrible no trainers clubs in town, etc...

I guess the reason is that whenever I see the term in the press it's generally alongside names like Lady Gaga, Tiësto, David Guetta, Skrillex, Swedish House Mafia, even the Black Eyed Peas. Fuck there is even Justin Bieber posted with an EDM tag on reddit.

But you know pop-dance music has always existed. I never liked Fatboy Slim. The Chemical Brothers quickly got boring when they started colaborating with the likes of some guy from Oasis.

I'll just continue to ignore it :P

Last edited by Jellica (Jun 29, 2012 3:42 pm)

Tulsa, OK

the term EDM exists because people were using words like techno to describe non-techno dance music. EDM is broad enough for people who cant tell the difference.

it is also used by people who dont wish to be labeled; "I dont make just dubstep, I make EDM" - this use seems stupid.

NC in the US of America

So. Is there a generic term that we can all agree on using instead of "EDM" then, since that has such negative connotations attached to it?

How could it not have negative connotations?

EDM=erectile dysfunction music?

At least every house producer has stopped making disco under the electro moniker. You know what...keep EDM.

Threads like this make me feel like someones grandad.

Last edited by 9H05T (Jun 29, 2012 4:06 pm)

N.E. U.S.
SketchMan3 wrote:

So. Is there a generic term that we can all agree on using instead of "EDM" then, since that has such negative connotations attached to it?

We could use electronica or electronic music, but that isn't necessarily dance music

shanghai
Jake Allison wrote:

the term EDM exists because people were using words like techno to describe non-techno dance music. EDM is broad enough for people who cant tell the difference.

THANKS.thats what i meant to say in my 76 paragraphs of waffling !

I've lived through all the years where people attempt to shoehorn genre names into an umbrella term for dance music. Techno, electronica, electro. This only leads to confusion. EDM is a way better term and I hope it gets more widespread.

It was horrible when the term electro suddenly became so fashionable and slapped onto everything that was really just cookie cutter house. Made it more difficult to find the genuine stuff.

geckoyamori wrote:

It was horrible when the term electro suddenly became so fashionable and slapped onto everything that was really just cookie cutter house. Made it more difficult to find the genuine stuff.

totally! I thought there was another electro revival and that I'd hear more Luke Slater (with the 909s/breaks in the signature kraftwerk kik pattern) type stuff only to find it was DISCO. I like disco, but not when it pretends to be electro.

Justice=disko

I-F = electro

Forest Maze

It's 2012, and people still care about labeling music with the correct genre(s)?

Sweden
NUCLACE wrote:

It's 2012, and people still care about labeling music with the correct genre(s)?

What made you think that would go away with time? Why do people care about using the same language at all?

To stay on topic, I love dance music. I can dance to a lot of shitty music I'd rather not listen to normally, just for the sake of dancing.

BIG, Fat, JUICY, BOOTY, BEND IT OVER LET ME DO MY DUTY

Westfield, NJ
Downstate wrote:
Jake Allison wrote:

THANKS.thats what i meant to say in my 76 paragraphs of waffling !

I totally get what you mean. There are people who use the term "EDM" or "dance" that could not tell you the difference between Tiesto and Skrillex. Actually I was DJing last night and I was just getting started so I was playing some chill indie stuff (like Friendly Fires and Yeasayer, hey it's New York it makes sense) and these hipsters came up and one was like, "you are going to play dance music right?" and the other was like "do you have any Armin?" like Jake said, 10 years ago people were calling everything "techno" or "shitty euro music" and now they can just say "EDM", which is at least a perfectly find umbrella term. It's like people who just call wine "red" or "white". It's like, good for you, you don't really know anything about wine, you just know that you like that one red wine at the supermarket and that makes you happy, that's good and well but you don't know what you're missing, and maybe I'm a wine snob but I love to talk to other wine snobs and explore all the different kinds of wine and let me tell you I know when I'm looking for a Pinot Noir or when I'm looking for a Sauvignon Blanc and I promise I won't bore you with my wine snobbery but we are just different and you shouldn't hate me for it.

I mean, most people recognize brands, not styles. They just know "Skrillex" or "Avicii" or "Calvin Harris" but say "dutch house" and they would tilt their head at you like you just made that up. There's nothing wrong with that, whatever makes people happy. The one good thing in my mind about EDM being popular, is that if you want to make the big $$$, you can just make music that fits the pop dance template and make a go of it, and if you want to stay underground and keep your street cred, then you can just keep doing what you are doing and when someone asks you "oh hey you make electronic music does it sound like david guetta" you can be like "no" and move on.

Last edited by Decktonic (Jun 29, 2012 11:00 pm)