Abandoned on Fire
ilkae wrote:

Hmmm, let me think about this for a second.
10gbp minus paypal fees minus 30% = $10.31 CAD

License a bunch of tunes, non-exclusively, to a game of questionable/irrelevant quality for perpetuity, for an amount of income that wouldn't even buy me a pack of smokes? I'll pass.

Damn, cigs are more than $10 up there!?  I thought I had it bad slightly less than $5.  Geeeeeeez  hmm

AANABAY01

Hi. So, um, can more than one person license the same bundle of tunes? If not then the fee is brutally low and slave labour-like

BOSTON

so, okay, i apologize. im going to come into this and be a GIGA-DICK, but hopefully its for everybody's own good. now im not going to say that this setup sounds horrible, because who knows, with aggregates it might work out for some people if they have tons of material to bundle and it resells over and over. who knows.

but i am going to say that as a professional game composer, on average i get literally 50 fucking times the rate per song that he is potentially offering. and i still keep the rights to the music.

so theres that information to keep in mind.

BOSTON

sorry

Rochester, NY

Obviously when I said "probably flat fees yeah" I meant more than 10 dollars a song, guys.  lol

But you have to take into account that this is an "indie" platform, whatever that means

but then I have to take into account only indie games want to use chiptunes anyway

so basically I don't know what's going on basically I'm just talking, I already said what I was gonna do lol

Slave labour seems a little harsh, no one is forcing you to go into this agreement and slaves generally don't get anything!

It seems I'm not welcome here, and that I've misunderstood you all.  Sorry for wasting all your time then, I'll go elsewhere.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
ScirraTom wrote:

It seems I'm not welcome here, and that I've misunderstood you all.  Sorry for wasting all your time then, I'll go elsewhere.

You're most definitely welcome here, no one's yelling at you to leave.

I think they just want more of a cut is all. You can negotiate pricing changes with them privately or just publicly here. Maybe talk with BR1GHT PR1MATE, since he actually makes music for games and could discuss with you possibilities for your store? I'm not speaking for him, I'm just giving you simple ideas to be successful here.

kansas city

it also seems like it would be easy to design the package bundle, in such a way that designers might be persuaded to purchase the songs to fit a particular genre of game.
for example; an rpg hero death theme v. an obligatory platformer underwater theme...

kansas city

it seems like a fun challenge.

Bristol, UK

I think that it's obvious that the rates are going to be lower than if someone specifically commissions you to make music for them.

With this there's no limit to how much you make because if your loops are good then loads of people could download them.

If  you can get paid better money and you don't need this opportunity then fair play, but I think this is a good, risk-free opportunity for some artists to make a bit of money and get their name/music out there.

It's not about cheapening your music by taking the best section of one of your songs and looping it. It's about writing loopable music that fits a specific theme and if you put your own style and creativity into it then I don't really see how that's cheapening it.

I think the biggest problem here is that people here think you're asking for their songs which they worked hard for; sweat, tears, and blood and all that. But since this is for simple game loops (which most of our albums wouldn't work for anyways) then it fits into a different demographic.

If you think of this as a loop producer; take 20 minutes and make a short, simple and functional loop (not a masterpiece) and sell that (non-exclusively) for the $10. that works out to the equivalent of $30/hour. Of course it depends on if you can actually sell any of the loops or not; but doesn't that sound a bit more appealing?

Westfield, NJ
Zef wrote:

I think the biggest problem here is that people here think you're asking for their songs which they worked hard for; sweat, tears, and blood and all that. But since this is for simple game loops (which most of our albums wouldn't work for anyways) then it fits into a different demographic.

If you think of this as a loop producer; take 20 minutes and make a short, simple and functional loop (not a masterpiece) and sell that (non-exclusively) for the $10. that works out to the equivalent of $30/hour. Of course it depends on if you can actually sell any of the loops or not; but doesn't that sound a bit more appealing?

I was going to post this but frostbyte beat me to it. +1

Rochester, NY

You know, you guys have a point that I didn't think of that was pretty obvious

hurr durr I feel dumb but basically no one is stopping anyone from doing anything they want

Neo Jersey
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

Hi. So, um, can more than one person license the same bundle of tunes? If not then the fee is brutally low and slave labour-like

Also if they CAN, wouldn't it kind of odd to hear the same soundtrack in more than one game?

Zef wrote:

isn't there a 5 track minimum? now your talking 100 min...or $5.50 roughly / hr if that s how you want to look at it.

I just have conflicted thoughts on this whole thing. For $10 i wouldn't want to pretty much give away my A grade material. I might submit some loops that are sitting around collecting dust. But that doesn't do much good for my name as an artist. There's a reason those songs were collecting dust lol. Why not give the artist the power to name their rate? I realize we are talking about indie games here... IE- small to no budget. So i would hope people wouldn't get too outrageous with their rates. i mean the goal is to help each other out here, right?

Bristol, UK

I think a lot of people here are missing the point...

Nashville, Tennessee
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

so, okay, i apologize. im going to come into this and be a GIGA-DICK, but hopefully its for everybody's own good. now im not going to say that this setup sounds horrible, because who knows, with aggregates it might work out for some people if they have tons of material to bundle and it resells over and over. who knows.

but i am going to say that as a professional game composer, on average i get literally 50 fucking times the rate per song that he is potentially offering. and i still keep the rights to the music.

so theres that information to keep in mind.

im with you; commercial licensing, while remaining nonexclusive, at a fairly cheap rate, usually pays a whole lot more... i still make at least a few dozen times as much per song as this...

that being said, it's still nonexclusive. you don't exactly have anything to lose. you can always still do whatever else with it: perform it, release it, license it to 35 other people... (albeit nonexclusively to each and every one of them as well.) whatevs. intellectual property and their licensing is something that everyone who is trying to make a living off of music or art needs to understand to at least some degree... (or pay someone to understand it for them. D:)

if u n33d da c4$h its one way to help keep your wallet from being emptyyyyy

Last edited by smiletron (Jul 12, 2012 6:29 am)