Rochester, NY

HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT THIS GUY MAKING A GOOD FIRST LSDJ POST

Yeah, they pointed it out already, but your kick needs more kick eh? 

Personally, I like simple pulse leads brah; do what you want but there are some people who dig that simple style.  Your melodies are tight, and while your drums are kind of repetitive and simple they're programmed solid.  Try experimenting more in the noise channel to get some cooler hits, and maybe some cool drum fills next time.

Great track.

540, VA

thanks man!  yeah im actually screwin around right now with the noise and wav channel figuring out drum stuff.  and honestly this is meant to have guitar and bass behind it live so the leads aren't supposed to be too complicated. think of it more as a vocal track if anything.  Thanks for the input bro!

Portland

I love the arps.
great start!

L0O3, C0rnw4//.

<333

New York

fantastic first attempt. keep at those instruments and tables and in a few years you'll be a god

540, VA

you guys rule!

NC in the US of America

Are you using a default kit sample for your kick? If you are, you could get more power if you do a custom pitch bent kick on your pulse or wav channel instead of using the samples. Either that or lower the envelope on all the other instruments to the level of the kick sample, and then just record at higher volume or normalize/amplify it after recording.

Personally, I like simple lead instrument. Not every lead needs complicated table effects, imo.

The use of dynamics in the noise channel is quite nice.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 15, 2012 5:47 pm)

Rochester, NY
squaretherapy wrote:

thanks man!  yeah im actually screwin around right now with the noise and wav channel figuring out drum stuff.  and honestly this is meant to have guitar and bass behind it live so the leads aren't supposed to be too complicated. think of it more as a vocal track if anything.  Thanks for the input bro!

consider checking out Revengineers, Noisewaves, Infinity Shred, Anamanaguchi, Slime Girls, and Chip's Challenge (hurf) for comparison; they do that instrumental band thing with chip/synth leads

assuming you haven't heard of any of these bands lol

The use of dynamics in the noise channel is quite nice.

Ah, I forgot to mention that.  The dynamics were really good, but what I said before about your drums still holds.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
ChipsChallengeBand wrote:

Chip's Challenge

These guys rock, definitely check them out big_smile

Rochester, NY
Auxcide wrote:
ChipsChallengeBand wrote:

Chip's Challenge

These guys rock, definitely check them out big_smile

OP also mentioned dual gameboys so consider listening to Auxcide and Frostbyte because they do that dual jawn pretty ballerly

~making the thread as circle-jerky as possible~

~ps thanks auxcide~

540, VA

no i made my own kick in the wave channel.  i didnt think the preset kits had enough power. and anamanaguchi is probably my favorite band ever. no joke. ive been listening to them for a while.  Im also a big fan of revingeneers and as of a few hours i checked out chips challenge and really enjoyed you guys! shared ya on my fb even. 

i thought about the envelope trick to add power to the kick but it seemed so damn time consuming and i was def too lazy. not to mention i dont really use tables so all my commands were in the phrase screen.

and also I might have failed to mention this will have guitar and bass behind it live.  I do not have a drummer as of yet. but i really need to find a way to pump up the drums if im not gonna have have a live drummer.  Does the "having a 2nd DMG for mainly drums" thing i have going on in my head seem to work? seeing as how i would run them through my mixer i would think i would beef up the bass and volume on the drum DMG just a little more to give it more of a punch.

Ideas?

540, VA

also like i said, im pretty much just gonna hit start then play guitar over it. so i want be in live mode or doing any mixing live. =]

Well for drums, yeah. But you can also take advantage of the pulse channels/noise channel on the second DMG for added bass or panned chorused pads or whatever to make your sound full.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Sometimes you're gonna just have to bite the bullet and do the more time consuming thing to get the better result. That kick will have to real beefy to contend with live instruments. But yeah, a second set of channels will give you the option to do samples on the wav channel for additional drums. (Also another noise channel)

the song itself is a great first attempt

however the problem is definitely your recording, it sounds emulated.

540, VA

well the recording was emulated to be honest. I wrote the song on an emulator first then recorded it directly from my comp. maybe I should record it straight from the DMG then re-post?