Rochester, NY

No, it'll be basically the same whether you use an emulator or record direct from an emulator.

Without a drummer, it'll be tough to make the drums stand out if you're throwing guitar and bass on top.  You might have some luck lowering the volume of all your instrument volume envelopes (besides the drums) and then turning the overall mix up when you do that thing live man, try it out at practice and see how that goes

And thanks for the shoutout~

Last edited by ChipsChallengeBand (Jul 16, 2012 12:44 am)

540, VA

no thank you for the advice! so far it's sound pretty good at practice. i run it through a fender bass amp and it gives it a pretty good punch with the right settings. and as long as i have the real instruments turned down it's surprisingly pretty good. though still wouldnt have the same effect as a real drummer.  but hopefully one day i can make this happen!

Sydney, NSW
squaretherapy wrote:

So what exactly would 0C do?  to be honest I didn't really use many tables.  they still scare me a little haha.

In the transpose column (TSP), 0C would play the note C semitones higher (7 semitones, just under an octave). Then after that, the next number in the TSP column would be 00, which shifts the pitch down to it's original starting pitch.

http://chainsaw.musho.org/stuff/chainsa … ample).mp3
Here's a short audio sample of a WAV and Pulse bass playing together, then the 0C technique on both of them. Subtle, but adds difference. Try experimenting with the transpose column to get different pitch effects!
(sorry for the shitty recording and everything, it was a quick recording from my stock cgb)

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Jul 16, 2012 11:54 am)

squaretherapy wrote:

well the recording was emulated to be honest. I wrote the song on an emulator first then recorded it directly from my comp. maybe I should record it straight from the DMG then re-post?

yes definitely do that, it will sound miles better. i'm surprised no one latched onto that

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Je Mappelle wrote:
squaretherapy wrote:

well the recording was emulated to be honest. I wrote the song on an emulator first then recorded it directly from my comp. maybe I should record it straight from the DMG then re-post?

yes definitely do that, it will sound miles better. i'm surprised no one latched onto that

Honestly, less important then seeing what he can do.

Chainsaw Police wrote:

In the transpose column (TSP), 0C would play the note C semitones higher (two octaves, or 16 semitones).

Don't you mean 1 octave? Or am I misunderstanding something you're trying to say?

NSW, Australia

What emulator did you use?

Gosford, Australia
Chainsaw Police wrote:

0C would play the note C semitones higher (two octaves, or 16 semitones)

not sure if trolling

Sydney, NSW
Victory Road wrote:
Chainsaw Police wrote:

0C would play the note C semitones higher (two octaves, or 16 semitones)

not sure if trolling

Wait, my bad. C is 7 in hex, making it 7 semitones, one semitone short of an octave!

AANABAY01

C IS TWELVE AAAARGHHH

Rochester, NY

wow so much hex -> music ignorance?  Misunderstanding?  I don't know but

C = 12 = 1 octave

Don't worry too much about it though Chains, we all make mistakes

540, VA

I used VBA for my emulator.  and thanks for the info chainsaw police! I do like the difference.  I also know music really well. I've been playing piano since about 4 so around 20 years now. just learning how to throw it all together with different sounds and techniques is whats so great about this program.  My buddy Str8-bit gave me Zef's files to look at it for reference and practice.  It's really helped a lot.  And I will re record straight from the DMG soon.  this was just the quickest way at the moment.  Thanks guys!

Gosford, Australia
Chainsaw Police wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

not sure if trolling

Wait, my bad. C is 7 in hex, making it 7 semitones, one semitone short of an octave!

uhajdafdfdfa
Chainsaw Police wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

not sure if trolling

there are 12 semitones in an octave m8

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
Chainsaw Police wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

not sure if trolling

So whose "My First Chiptune" thread is this actually?
LOL.

540, VA

mine haha.  this was my first LSDJ piece XD

Gosford, Australia

umm there's 8 semiquavers in an octave that's why it has OCT in the name, obviously!